TOK MGT Area DS102 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOK MGT Area DS102 questions

Looking for any info about West Fork Robertson R area in 20D for my solo sheep hunt in mid August; drop off by Golden Eagle Outfitters. Should I glass low for awhile and if no sightings then go high, or go high at start? What drainage to use? Hunt high or low? Best access to get high? Info on bugs, bears, temps, water crossings, salt or no salt? Thinking about stashing small dry bag with replenish supplies at drop zone to cut weight since solo. I've been chasing these majestic beasts over the years, and hope this is the year of a great harvest. Thanks for the help .

I have no sheep hunt experience but since you cant hunt any ways the first day since you are flying maybe talk to the pilot to see if you can do a hot lap or 2 around the area before you land. That way you can get a birds eye view of the area and also see what mountains/valleys the sheep are in.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
      I have no sheep hunt experience but since you cant hunt any ways the first day since you are flying maybe talk to the pilot to see if you can do a hot lap or 2 around the area before you land. That way you can get a birds eye view of the area and also see what mountains/valleys the sheep are in.
      Have they repealed the law that made scouting sheep from the air illegal? I haven't been keeping up on this for the last few years. Was pretty controversial at the time, and difficult to enforce.

However, if you can spare the time and money, it would be worth scouting in late July. Sheep shouldn't be too far from where you see them that time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
        Yes kwackkillncrew, oakman is correct. It is illegal these days to pay for extra air time or buzz the field so to speak. I have had many a game lost due to similar practices.

Comment

Well good to know. As I said I have no sheep experience and you shouldnt listen to everyone on the forum haha. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Pgh Boy View Post
            Looking for any info about West Fork Robertson R area in 20D for my solo sheep hunt in mid August; drop off by Golden Eagle Outfitters. Should I glass low for awhile and if no sightings then go high, or go high at start? What drainage to use? Hunt high or low? Best access to get high? Info on bugs, bears, temps, water crossings, salt or no salt? Thinking about stashing small dry bag with replenish supplies at drop zone to cut weight since solo. I've been chasing these majestic beasts over the years, and hope this is the year of a great harvest. Thanks for the help .
            I will hold off on commenting on an area that I have not hunted in, but just talking general hunting, a small dry bag with back up supplies is a good way to go for any type of hunting. Since you are planning on hunting alone, that makes sense to have some back up communication and I would leave the salt there too. It would be nice to get salt on the cape/hide ASAP, but if you are packing out your sheep, horns, cape/hide, and gear alone, every ounce counts as you know. But that would be a good question for the forum, can you go 2-3 days without salt and what does it do to the cape/hide? Assuming it takes 2-3 days for you to get back to the salt and pick up location.

Comment

I would get as high as you can and spend as much time as you can in country and give it a chance toget lucky. Works for me. No guarantees with any approach but hunt hard and come home with no regrets.
              I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Comment

Personally if it were me, if you have the time, I would hunt low and use your optics to try and find something worth getting a better look at first before heading up a mountain that may, or may not, hold any sheep. Especially if you have good views to see way back in.
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Sheep can be in kind of funny spots. I have seen sheep from below that I couldn't see from above and the opposite. As they say, the bigger rams didn't get that way by accident. I've mostly always hunted from below. If you see something good, you can get up to it. Always hated the idea of getting up high only to see a sheep on the other side or....not at all! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Oakman!

Comment

Thanks 4merguide, we'll see what it looks like.

Comment

I woke up one morning in that area to a mamma bear and 3 cubs--they kept following me around all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pgh Boy View Post
                          Thanks 4merguide, we'll see what it looks like.
                          That's all you can do. And like I said "IF" you have time, then try not to rush yourself, and use your optics wisely. They can save you a lot of unnecessary hiking. Good Luck!
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X