Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Excruciatingly Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2020-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Excruciatingly Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2020-2021)

Normally forum member "highestview" would start this thread. Last year, he indicated that he was done doing it after moving out of state(thank you for all that you have done highestview). So to avoid any questions on when this thread would arise, I decided to start it. I am hopeful that ADF&G will get good photos during July to provide an accurate count early enough for all of us to make informed decisions. I do know some of the lodges near CCUA were posting photos on Facebook with snow on top of the peaks recently. Its way to early to know where the caribou will be come hunting season, but we can all still dream and scheme for the time being as hunting season is just a month away for the youth hunt. Be safe and happy harvests!

We'll be out there on the 1st trying to get my 10 year old son on his first animal. It'll be interesting hunting that early, as some of the places I've hunted in the past don't generally have many animals that early in the season. Thinking of changing up our general game plan - we shall see!

Comment

Hey Brian,
      Yea, it will be interesting to see/hear where the animals are. Thankfully, they shouldn't be to stirred up and allow the youth to get some solid shots in. I am thankful that youth get their own season, we really need to have some young people take up hunting if we want to continue it, not as much of a problem in AK compared to the rest of the world. I guess I usually hunted in September, but August 1 may have some problems with keeping the meat cool if you have multiple tags and strike early on the first one. I also hope that the herd didn't split into the 40 mile herd, that had the biggest decline in the last few years.

Comment

I ended up with DC385 this year. I’ve never shot a caribou, just moose, so I’m hoping I can connect this year.

Comment

2019 Caribou Draw Hunt Statistics

YC495
          200 tags
          147 hunters
          76 bulls
          37 cows
          113 total
          77% success rate of those who hunted

DC485
          399 tags
          261 hunters
          99 bulls
          73 cows
          172 total
          66% success rate of those who hunted

Comment

They have updated the hotline as of today. Happy Hunting
            "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Comment

Quotas are on the website. Starting off as any caribou

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/a...7-21-2020b.pdf
              Last edited by ak_cowboy; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Hunt________ Number of 2020 Permits ______2020 Quota
                YC495 _______200 _________________________150
                DC475 _______50__________________________ 40
                DC485_______2,000________________________ 1,000
                RC561_______3,065 ________________________1,750
                RC562_______3,821________________________ 1,750
                CC001_______811__________________________ 400
                .................................................. .....................TOTAL 5,090

Comment

I’ve got 485. Hopfully hunting in October. How does the subsistence rule really change things?

Comment

Originally posted by alexander83 View Post
                    I’ve got 485. Hopfully hunting in October. How does the subsistence rule really change things?
                    <br/><br/>If you are referring to the new issue regarding federal land, it means that you will not be allowed to hunt on any federal land unless you qualify for federal subsistence. Your permit would only be legal on State land.

Comment

Originally posted by alexander83 View Post
                      Usually the season is closed on 9/30 and reopened after October and the rut is (largely) over.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                        <br/><br/>If you are referring to the new issue regarding federal land, it means that you will not be allowed to hunt on any federal land unless you qualify for federal subsistence. Your permit would only be legal on State land.
                        The new ruling by the Federal Subsistence Board covers unit 13 sub units A and B only. According to the map of unit 13 in the subsistence hunting regulations, the only federal land shown is in A and B, except for western 13 E, and was the area of concern by the person submitting the federal proposal.
                        RandyS

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                          <br/><br/>Usually the season is closed on 9/30 and reopened after October and the rut is (largely) over.
                          <br/><br/>The fall season closes on September 20th and then reopens for the winter season on October 21st.

Comment

Just saying those number look great. Based on past harvest rates we likely wont have to worry about early closures and can plan to hunt the season for once.
                            I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Comment

Has anyone been out lately that can provide any recent reports of caribou sightings? Trying to figure out where to focus our efforts for the early youth season and am bouncing back and forth between a few ideas. Would love some recent intel if anyone has any. Thanks!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X