Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    [ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]Boiling is very bad for skulls for many reasons. We used to do that back in the eighties. Now we use Beetles on everything. Maceration would be a good second alternative but it's slow and horrible smelling. Now the shrimp pots sound like an excellent option, just make sure that you don't loose any teeth. Never ever use bleach. Everyone calls it bleaching your skull, but that is not what is used, ever. For degreasing, Acetone is what every professional now uses. Some tricks for speeding up that process is to remove several molars and drill a hole into that cavity, especially the lower jaw where most of the grease will be. There is an excellent clear Krylon sealer that I've been using for the past twenty years that seals skulls very well, has no glossy shine which I hate because I like my skulls to look more natural. And it will never yellow.
    I disagree that maceration takes longer. Yes smelly but so are beetles'. Maceration can actually shave up to 2 months off a properly degreased finishef skull compared to beetles. I have done a head to head comparison. Pigs and bears two greasiest skulls out there. Maceration use bacteria to break the meat down and partially degreases the skull in the maceration process.

Here is side by side comparison of 2 similar sized kodiak bear skulls.

Once right out of beetles/maceration and after a month of degreasing. 3 months total time for maceration, degreasing and whitening start to finish and around 5 for beetled ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393905013.136454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2491242Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393904968.751407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2491241

Comment

Originally posted by dieNqvrs View Post
      I disagree that maceration takes longer. Yes smelly but so are beetles'. Maceration can actually shave up to 2 months off a properly degreased finishef skull compared to beetles. I have done a head to head comparison. Pigs and bears two greasiest skulls out there. Maceration use bacteria to break the meat down and partially degreases the skull in the maceration process.

Here is side by side comparison of 2 similar sized kodiak bear skulls.

Once right out of beetles/maceration and after a month of degreasing. 3 months total time for maceration, degreasing and whitening start to finish and around 5 for beetled ones.

[ATTACH]77153[/ATTACH][ATTACH]77152[/ATTACH]
      I found the same thing when I started messing with skulls.

Maceration only smells when you open the 5 gallon bucket but the beetles smell the entire time you own them. Always remove brain mater prior to either method, that stuff stinks like no other and beetles don't care for it.
      http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Bear Skulls

Are the folks who are referring to "boiling" actually going to a full roiling boil or just a summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by broncoformudv View Post
          I found the same thing when I started messing with skulls.

Maceration only smells when you open the 5 gallon bucket but the beetles smell the entire time you own them. Always remove brain mater prior to either method, that stuff stinks like no other and beetles don't care for it.
          My issue with maceration is maintaining a warm enough temp to hurry things along. It works great and so long as the container is sealed the odor is a non-issue, though I recommend not opening the container in the dining room.........
          Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
            I've boiled lots if skulls in water and added dawn dish washing liquid and borax to degrease and have never had a problem. Never have heard if using acetone. Interesting.

I use the same method.....and i don't boil....I simmer, and I think that does indeed make a difference. Four skulls in two years one moose and three blacktails and I haven't lost a tooth, and have finally realized that you get lots of soap and borax good and hot, put the head in.....then go drink beer or something while it simmers....for like three hours......all the connective tissue pops off taking all the meat with it, no need to get super trimmy with it all. My first ones I obsessed on overcooking them and spent way too much time picking off tissue that a bit more time in the hot stuff would take care of. But the last one I just dumped it in and went away. I stopped by three hours later to flake off a bunch of the meat....even the eyes came out with ease.....gave it another hour and flaked off the rest.....scrambled the brains and flushed them out....put it back in for an hour then came back to finish it off with a wire and a leatherman for anything still hanging on.

I got a tip I also wish to share for moose (so glad I read about this)......power washer....mucho time saver. Simmer for a long time, finish with the powerwasher.....but watchout for the nasal cavities of coruse.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
              My issue with maceration is maintaining a warm enough temp to hurry things along. It works great and so long as the container is sealed the odor is a non-issue, though I recommend not opening the container in the dining room.........
              An aquarium heater works great for maintaining your water temperature. I recommend not opening the container (*gag*) downwind if possible.

Comment

Catch it- yup been using a power washer for a few years. Just a few areas you have to be careful around. Works great though.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
                  Luckily I haven't been in a hurry yet with any of them of the heat would be an issue. During the summer I set the buckets in the back yard so they get some sun but in the winter its in the garage and takes longer.
                  http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Shrimp pot is best IMO

I have cleaned dozen of skulls in the shrimp pots. It works best if you worry more about volume of sand fleas than shrimp. There are places that are truly carpeted in them. I cut big pieces off, remove tongues and eyes and make sure to cut through muscle fascia and allow them to the meat I have never removed brains. Tie skuls into top of pot so silt does not get into the bone pores. Put the skulls in a clear ziplock full of holes, then in mesh bag this saves teeth and allows the fleas to stay on skull. Larger skuls need degreased after, i have used lacquer thinner for a month. A decanting bucket saves chemical as you can drain grease off bottom and keep using the thinner. Dry thinner out in the sun then apply thin coat of elmers/water cover teeth well. Bison to squirrel this works great. The bear skull on the side of the boat was in the pot less than 24 hrs. I have left bison a week. The small ones like ermine to fox just go in a little regular 3% peroxide for a day the paint with glue/water.
                    Attached Files

Comment

More skulls

More skull pictures
                      Attached Files

Comment

few more

Squirrel to bison
                        Attached Files

Comment

Two more

last ones but it does work really well
                          Attached Files

Comment

Those skulls look pretty nice trapperbob...I'm no where near any shrimp pots. I was wondering about the bison, did you remove the horn on that before submersion?

Comment

Originally posted by broncoformudv View Post
                              Luckily I haven't been in a hurry yet with any of them of the heat would be an issue. During the summer I set the buckets in the back yard so they get some sun but in the winter its in the garage and takes longer.
                              yeah... did the back year bucket last year.. traded the water out a few times... i never said SQUAT! when her dog rolled in it either.. .. wasn't till Christmas when i gave the kiddo the skull.. the missus put 2+2+2+6 .. and chewed my ass..
                              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by trapperbob View Post
                                last ones but it does work really well
                                Very nice, are those beaver skulls or marmot skulls with the big front teeth?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X