using a Kifaru LongHunter pack????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a Kifaru LongHunter pack????

I recently bought a Kifaru pack to use for hunting. It was a good deal so I took it. I have never used an internal frame pack and would like to get some opinions of those that have been there and done that.
    Am going into sheep country and, with fingers crosssed, plan on packing a sheep out with it.
    Just looking for the pros and cons from you that have experience. Any tips on what works well and what doesn't???
    thanks
    Plentycoupe

Internal frame packs

You're really going to like the comfort of an internal frame for the demanding pack-ins and pack-outs of sheep hunting. Congratulations.

Taylor

Comment

sheep hunting pack

check out the archieves - this subject area has been addressed and readdressed on multiple occassions - the information may have already been posted in the past
      "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

Originally posted by shphtr
        check out the archieves - this subject area has been addressed and readdressed on multiple occassions - the information may have already been posted in the past
        I may be mistaken, but with the new forum software, it is not possible to search the old forum's contents. One would need to go to the old web forum for archival info - but best bet IMO would be to answer questions here and begin building this resource as in 6 months the old system will be a distant memory. Regards, Bill

Comment

Forum archives

Originally posted by Bill in Pa
          I may be mistaken, but with the new forum software, it is not possible to search the old forum's contents. One would need to go to the old web forum for archival info - but best bet IMO would be to answer questions here and begin building this resource as in 6 months the old system will be a distant memory. Regards, Bill
          You're right that the searchlink here does not allow searching of the old forum contents. However, there is a link at the top of the page to "Old Forums". The idea here is to allow us to go back and access this resource.

Our plan is to keep it available as an archival resource. We will be working on that in the next few weeks.

David

Comment

Kafaru info

Why don't you try going to Kifaru's web site for fitting info. I don't have a longhunter, but know from watching their site that many owners have "fitting" problems, that once addressed make this pack their favorite.
            This should give you a start:
            <http://www.kifaru.net/BACKPAKS.HTM>
            Gary

Comment

Kifaru Packs

Your gonna love your LH. Been using one since 2002 and have packed out several animals including sheep with mine. My external frame has long been relegated to a training and loaner pack. Some pros are the cargo chair, gun bearer system and customer service. Con would be the fitting like was mentioned a few posts up. Once that is taken care of though, this pack will become your favorite.
              www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

Stephen....

whats your pack weigh? My Lowe alpine is light but too small, I'm thinkin Kifaru myself....Frank
                Proud to be an American!

Comment

Opsrey

Frank, look into the Osprey line of packs, the wife and I just bought packs for our upcoming sheep hunt. I got the Aether 70 and she got the Arial 75 and the belts on them are heat moldable, can't wait to try them out with a good load in them.

Comment

Kifaru Weight

Frank-
                    My Kifaru weighs 6.5 lbs. So as not to look like a Kifaru salesman, you should check out Mystery Ranch packs as well. Don't have any experience with them, but they are an off-shoot of Dana Designs. Both the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs were born of high end mountaineering stock and specifically designed with hunters in mind. Both are spendy though, expect to be over 4 bills, unless you find one on ebay or something.

Comment

I used a Kifaru on my sheep hunt in August. I trained w/ 120 lbs. and carried out my gear, cape and horns out without any problems. If you want an internal frame, IMO you'll get your money's worth.
                      Attached Files
                      "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

LongHunter weight

The one in my store is over 8 lbs. My scale only goes to 8 lbs and the pack exceeds that.

Taylor

Comment

Kifaru Longhunter Guide

My Longhunter Guide weighs 6lbs. 3oz., less the camo panels that, imo, are next to useless.....great pack though.

Joe
                          Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Comment

Kifaru Weight

Marc-
                            Do you have the guide model or the Rendevous? The Rendezvous is bigger. Also some of the military models have lots of added bells and whistles. I have the guide model and go sans all the fleeces panels as well. I've kept them though in case I ever go whitetail deer hunting in PA or something. I'm in the 6 1/2 lb range. Maybe you forgot and left one of those Wiggy ultra-lites in there when you where weighing

Comment

LongHunter

Nah, I had a buddy bring his into the store for us to look over. It's all black, no panels or anything that I can pull off, and empty. He's switching to an Osprey, so if anyone's interested, he may entertain an offer.

Extremely heavy for an empty pack, but I'm not questioning anyone's great experience with it, or a lighter version of it, that's for sure.

Hunt with what makes you happy.

Taylor

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X