Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Big is This Moose? (judging antler spread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
      Take a guess.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpeg
Views:	498
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2760955
      Naw, I don't think he's that big. 60"

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

Naw, I don't think he's that big. 60"
        And you'd be wrong Jack!....lol. He was a massive bull. Called him in to 22 yards. Seeing that there aren't many wanting to play the guessing game I'll go ahead and tell you. He was just shy of 70"....69.5" to be exact. Very good guess Mike!

Ok then, how bout this one?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0970.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	2760987
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

And you'd be wrong Jack!....lol. He was a massive bull. Called him in to 22 yards. Seeing that there aren't many wanting to play the guessing game I'll go ahead and tell you. He was just shy of 70"....69.5" to be exact. Very good guess Mike!

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0970.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	2760987

My poor guesstimate would be 71?

Comment

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0970.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	2760987
              Wow, I was way off. Oh well, I guess I would rather underestimate than overestimate. Stay outta trouble that way. He must have had a wide skull. Now that one looks really wide. I'll be bold this time and guess 75. Oh and BTW, great video Mike! Very informative indeed.
              Last edited by Bushwhack Jack; 09-14-2020, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

Wow, I was way off. Oh well, I guess I would rather underestimate than overestimate. Stay outta trouble that way. He must have had a wide skull. Now that one looks really wide. I'll be bold this time and guess 75. Oh and BTW, great video Mike! Very informative indeed.
                It too was 69.5" Jack. What were the odds that the two biggest bulls I ever guided to measured out at the same width? Crazy eh?
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Anyone have photos of the two bulls that locked antlers and then both died. They were near identical racks. Both over 80 inches. This was 40 or 50 years ago. They were on display at "Eberhardt Sporting Goods Shop".
                  "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post

I would guess around 63"?
                    Close, 60".

Comment

A 69 3/4 bull is painful, like a 69 pound king salmon.

use the metric system. 69 inches is over 175 CMs

amazing how many bulls fall just short of 70.

go’s has a sense of humor for us type A individuals.

”I’m a meat hunter, no really”

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post

One comment on the video is a statement you have at about 3:10 into it when describing what ADF&G defines as a point. You state that they say it has to be longer than it is wide "at the base". The "at the base" is not part of the regulations. It only says longer than it is wide, with width measured at least 1 inch from the tip. Nothing refers to the width at the base in the regulations.
                        Yep, you are correct. My mistake! Sometimes I get rolling like that. Very important point; thanks for mentioning it!
                        Michael Strahan
                        Site Owner
                        Alaska Hunt Consultant
                        1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X