Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Penn-Air RAVN Air Group Suspend Flight Operations in Alaska......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RavenAir ceased all operations and filed for Bankruptcy.

Comment

Yes they went quick. On the 2nd they were still flying to 8-9 cities. Yesterday, nothing. And again yesterday, bankrupt.

Our car rental went under. My hairdresser is closed. Can't get a printer cartridge as they are closed. Post office wants you up to pick up mail once a week. I imagine other businesses are going to fold.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Penn-Air RAVN Air Group Suspend Flight Operations in Alaska......

With all the accidents/incidents they’ve had recently this couldn’t have been worse timing for them. Hard to have much compassion for the brand. Real bad deal for employees and communities they serve though. I guess they can go along in Chapt 11 while waiting for a bail out.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          Yes they went quick. On the 2nd they were still flying to 8-9 cities. Yesterday, nothing. And again yesterday, bankrupt.

Our car rental went under. My hairdresser is closed. Can't get a printer cartridge as they are closed. Post office wants you up to pick up mail once a week. I imagine other businesses are going to fold.
          Countries may fold also.
          A good read.....https://taibbi.substack.com/p/resetting-the-bomb

I am "NOT" saying this will for sure happen "This Time"..........but at some point the financial illusion stops......painfully. The pain and destruction will exceed that experienced by Europe 1945'ish. Horror for humanity beyond our comprehension.
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by dieNqvrs View Post
            I think they were losing $ like the rest of the airlines but I also think it’s a political ploy from a New York based hedge fund ownership. Some markets were profitable.
            Need to plop a couple of those hedge funders down in Nunam Iqua with no air service to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
              Ok,,,, I just got this "Quote", from RAVN Air as a Substitute Carrier...... Yea, this ain't happen any time soon.... :flybye:
              TG:topjob:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98820[/ATTACH]
              Might check with Kenai Aviation and see what they can do for you.

Comment

Grant was still flying today.
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

https://mustreadalaska.com/
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Just came to post that article. That's concerning.

Comment

Wait, but with their subsistence lifestyle they shouldn’t rely on outside freight, right?

This is tongue in cheek

Comment

This will leave a mark and it is easy to say this is all part of the down turn in the economy due to COVID-19 but I think there is more to why RAVN Group filed for protection.

I don't know if most of you can look backwards to the early 2004-2005 era when we had LOTS of small carriers. I use to be an Region Wide teacher in NW Alaska and I would fly to 13 villages for my job. Normally it was 1-2 villages per week so I was in the air a lot for about 3 1/2 years. I think I flew on every podunk flight service out there.

A little history

RAVN is controlled by the Hajdukovich family in Fairbanks. They use to be Hagland and then Frontier Flying, and ERA they flew Beachcraft 1900's in and out of Kotzebue to FB and 207's and caravans to the villages. Ted Stevens pushed a bill through that stopped all By Pass mail business to smaller carriers and almost over night poof! Kotz use to have 6-7 village carriers and after Stevan's bill it was 3. Berring Air, Hagland and Cape Smyth. Almost like magic the Hajdukovich group gobbled up Cape Smyth and it was just 2 remaining carriers. The By Pass mail was the underpinning for the carriers and Hajdukovich gobbled up most of that...Well, Hagland then became RAVN which then ate up most of the Y/K flight services and boom Hajdukovich and company became a regional player...(Thanks to uncle Ted)

RAVN has not done so well as is evident to some of their plane crashes and liabilities. Needless to say they have become stretched very thin in the past 2-3 years. (Where is uncle Ted when you need him?) My feeling is RAVN was looking for a reason to declare chapter 11 and here it is. There will be TONS of COVID money that will pour into the Hajdukovich bank accounts and the amount of rapid growth and being a bit too aggressive will be rewarded thanks to the tax payers.

Ok..That said we all need to recognize that Bush Alaska needs RAVN because they control so much of the Rural Alaska flights and moving anything in Bush Alaka needs regional carriers but its my feeling that the Hajdukovich group has taken advantage of the perfect storm-COVID bailout..I find it comical that the average "Joe" wold be a liability and allowed to just go away but not the RAVN Group...

I hope this works its self out before commercial fishing season starts because if it doesn't any of us who has any link to the Bay will see/feel the pinch. Fall hunting is a long ways off but it too is "Flying Blind". I am sure there are some gaps here in this time line and I do not claim to be an expert of Alaska Aviation everything here only reflects my small view and limited experience.

Walt
                        Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitting
                        Attached Files

Comment

You nailed it, Walt.
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
                            Ok..That said we all need to recognize that Bush Alaska needs RAVN because they control so much of the Rural Alaska flights and moving anything in Bush Alaka needs regional carriers but its my feeling that the Hajdukovich group has taken advantage of the perfect storm-COVID bailout..I find it comical that the average "Joe" wold be a liability and allowed to just go away but not the RAVN Group...
                            I have a stack of grievance a mile high against them, just for their beyond s***ty customer service. They lost my luggage to be shipped from Kodiak to King Salmon. 17 days later, I had to contact their legal department just to finally actually find a live body to talk to and get somebody working on it. Last summer I watched them bump luggage from Cold Bay to Anchorage because of overbooking. In their careful consideration, they bumped a mother's carseat for her baby and had to find her a new one. We saw one of their baggage handlers smoking a joint on the tarmac while we were taxiing away once.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they would file just to take anything resembling the easy way out.
                            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

A little history
                              Yes, let's do a little history. Only this time, let's be accurate.
                              In 2004, the only thing the Hajdukovich family owned was Frontier Flying Service. It was both a 121 and 135 business. It did not use the name Ravn, and it did not have bases in western Alaska, including Kotz. Walt is correct that Ted redid the bypass mail regs. He did that to reduce the expenses associated with it to the PO. Not to benefit any one carrier. The new rules required all the carriers to compete for passenger revenue to qualify for a share of bypass mail. Since there were so many carriers some couldn't get enough passenger numbers and lost their share of bypass and thus left western Alaska. Most of these carriers weren't there to serve passengers anyway. They made money on bypass.
                              In 2005, Cape Smythe was not profitable. I'm sure some of that had to do with the new bypass requirements. Instead of going bankrupt, they sold to Frontier. There was no magic to it. It was just normal business and that happens in many other areas of our economy. The Hajdukovich family began hiring people to operate in western Alaska. I was one of those. They used the Cape Smythe buildings they purchased with the business. They ran 1900s as a 121 (large aircraft) carrier between Fairbanks and Kotz (and other places out of Fairbanks and Anchorage) and set up routes as a 135 carrier between hubs and villages using Piper Navajos. They were a good business and treated employees and customers well. Frontier was competing with Hageland and Bering Air in NW Alaska until 2009. In that year Frontier and Hageland merged. Walt is incorrect that there was 2 carriers after Frontier purchased Cape Smythe. Frontier, Hageland, and Bering all provided service in Kotz until 2009.
                              After the merger, all the 135 flights became Frontier Alaska but the merged business also purchased Era's fixed wing operations. That was in Oct. or Nov. of 2009. The 135 flights became Era Alaska along with the 121 flights. This merged business was jointly owned by the owners of Frontier (Hajdukovich) and Hageland (Tweto/Hageland). Some of you may remember the Flying wild alaska show from this time period. So after 2009, Walt would be correct that there was only 2 carriers in NW Alaska. Bering and Era Alaska.
                              Around 2014, Era decided to rebrand. That is when the Ravn name came to be. This was just a name change at that time and the business was still owned by the same 3 people/families. Then, about 2015, Tweto and Hageland wanted out. They were ready for retirement. The Hajdukovich family did not have the money or loan ability to buy our Tweto/Hageland. Instead, an investment group purchased the majority interest in the business. Tweto/Hageland were bought out and a BoD was made. The Hajdukovich family retained a small interest in the company but no longer was involved in the majority of decisions. A new CEO was named by the investors and he has guided the company for around the last 5 years.
                              The statement that TONS of COVID money will poor in to Hajdukovich accounts is just so much BS by a cranky old guy who makes statements not based on fact. The "Hajdukovich Group" ended several years ago.
                              I disagree that the bush "needs" Ravn. Other carriers are moving in and by the time a bankruptcy court approves a new business plan, there won't be much room and maybe the PO won't cooperate either. Who knows!
                              Oh, Walt, Ravns demise creates opportunity. Maybe the "Hajdukovich Group" will pick up the pieces and be back to haunt you!

RAVN is controlled by the Hajdukovich family in Fairbanks. They use to be Hagland and then Frontier Flying, and ERA they flew Beachcraft 1900's in and out of Kotzebue to FB and 207's and caravans to the villages. Ted Stevens pushed a bill through that stopped all By Pass mail business to smaller carriers and almost over night poof! Kotz use to have 6-7 village carriers and after Stevan's bill it was 3. Berring Air, Hagland and Cape Smyth. Almost like magic the Hajdukovich group gobbled up Cape Smyth and it was just 2 remaining carriers. The By Pass mail was the underpinning for the carriers and Hajdukovich gobbled up most of that...Well, Hagland then became RAVN which then ate up most of the Y/K flight services and boom Hajdukovich and company became a regional player...(Thanks to uncle Ted)

RAVN has not done so well as is evident to some of their plane crashes and liabilities. Needless to say they have become stretched very thin in the past 2-3 years. (Where is uncle Ted when you need him?) My feeling is RAVN was looking for a reason to declare chapter 11 and here it is. There will be TONS of COVID money that will pour into the Hajdukovich bank accounts and the amount of rapid growth and being a bit too aggressive will be rewarded thanks to the tax payers.

I hope this works its self out before commercial fishing season starts because if it doesn't any of us who has any link to the Bay will see/feel the pinch. Fall hunting is a long ways off but it too is "Flying Blind". I am sure there are some gaps here in this time line and I do not claim to be an expert of Alaska Aviation everything here only reflects my small view and limited experience.
                              Small view and limited experience.............I'll say!
                              I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                              I have less friends now!!

Comment

Thanks for the expanded view. Like I said I only had a limited view but my entire point is as the market contracts the ones with connections and inside will survive and will get a nice bail out. If the Hajdukovich group Coe back it will not effect me at all. I am concerned the we see less competition and market constriction. Yes we need RAVN or who ever emerges from this chapter. 11 because people and freight needs to move in the Bush. You are 100% spot on when you said the By-Pass mail system supported flight services who hardly carried passengers.

Marten: I have no problem with folks like you expand the view because I only have 20ish years here and I don't know all the details...Well put!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X