Spring Bear 2020 and Virus Implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
    There is already a quarantine requirement for anyone flying into the State. How do you quarantine and fly out to your hunting destination? A resident could still do the hunt, no way an out-of-State hunter could pull that off...

Why not, this is all known well in advance of bear season. How bad does a guy want it? Flights are much cheaper now due to all of this and I would guess hotels are as well. On top of that, potentially the group most negatively impacted here is non-residents and their guides. Even if tags are moved to another season, the guides aren't getting that money back. Just like all the other workers in this state that have lost work.

Comment

Originally posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
      Disagree. Non essential travel shut down. If that doesnít include private air transport, then its useless. Roll the spring Kodiaks.
      Won't happen. They will make some type of deal that allows the guides to add on permits to their area for the next few years in order to catch up (or another concession) but the season dates, nor season, will be changed.

Comment

"As of 5 p.m. on March 28, all people in Alaska are required to remain in their place of residence and practice social distancing as required by Health Mandate 011. Exceptions are made for individuals engaged in essential health care, public government services and business activities. Read the full mandate for more details at https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/Ö/bulletins/283a713 Health Mandate 012 prohibits in-state travel between communities within Alaska except for travel to support critical infrastructure or critical personal needs, effective 8 a.m. on March 28. Certain small Alaska communities may implement further travel restrictions. Read the full mandate for more details at https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/Ö/bulletins/283a7de'

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Effective at 8 a.m. on March 28, all personal intrastate travel between communities is prohibited. Travel for critical needs is allowed, the state said, which includes buying, selling, or delivering groceries and home goods; obtaining fuel for vehicles or residential needs; transporting family members for out-of-home care, essential health needs, or for purposes of child custody exchanges; receiving essential health care; providing essential health care to a family member; obtaining other important goods; and engaging in subsistence activities.

"When you hear, 'hunker down,' 'isolation,' et cetera," he said, "it's to keep people away from each other so that we're not spreading the virus and we're building up time."

The other mandate, which will go into effect at 5 p.m. on March 28, requires that everybody in Alaska - except for those engaged in essential health care services, public government services, and essential business activities - must "remain at their place of residence and practice social distancing."

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Of...569179551.html
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

When did shooting a Kodiak brown bear become essential business? Show me where it fits in here https://gov.alaska.gov/wp-content/up...tachment-A.pdf You think you need to potentially expose a pilot who flies to numerous communities to deliver essential goods like food and medications so you can shoot a bear? Get some perspective. People's lives are quite literally in the balance and some jackwagons are complaining about not being able to shoot a bear. This has to be in the top dumbest conversation about covid impacts out there. Millions of people lost their jobs this week, MILLIONS, thousands lost their lives and people are *****ing about their opportunity to shoot a bear...get some perspective. It does not matter if you think this is a government conspiracy or if you think the worst case scenario, this is happening and shooting a bear in Kodiak isn't the priority for anyone other than the few selfish people who somehow think the world revolves around them.

Get some perspective on the reality around you.

A violation of a state COVID-19 Mandate may subject a business or organization to an order to cease operations and/or a civil fine of up to $1,000 per violation.
            In addition to the potential civil fines noted above, a person or organization that fails to follow the state COVID-19 Mandates designed to protect the public health from this dangerous virus and its impact may, under certain circumstances, also be criminally prosecuted for Reckless Endangerment pursuant to Alaska Statute 11.41.250. Reckless endangerment is defined as follows:
            (a) A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person.
            (b) Reckless endangerment is a class A misdemeanor.

Pursuant to Alaska Statute 12.55.135, a defendant convicted of a class A misdemeanor may be sentenced to a definite term of imprisonment of not more than one year.

Additionally, under Alaska Statute 12.55.035, a person may be fined up to $25,000 for a class A misdemeanor, and a business organization may be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding the greatest of $2,500,000 for a misdemeanor offense that results in death, or $500,000 for a class A misdemeanor offense that does not result in death.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/283a713
            ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Iím not taking sides on this issue but I will say this order will not fly for very long. Folks out there minding their own business wonít stand for it, or will only stand for it for so long. Eventually, whether itís next month, or the month after that or the month after that, people WILL need to go back to work.

Comment

Thought this was a hunting forum. Is it not? Folks can't get to hunting bears, including my son.

He has a once in a life time tag. Wish I could give the kid a chance at something different right now. God knows he will not see that happen any time soon given all that has happened to him.

Life isn't fair, he accepted that as we unpacked our bags.

Yes I am biased.

Roll the Kodiak spring tags.
                In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Thought this was a hunting forum. Is it not? Folks can't get to hunting bears, including my son.

He has a once in a life time tag. Wish I could give the kid a chance at something different right now. God knows he will not see that happen any time soon given all that has happened to him.

Yes I am biased.

Check the weather. Launch the boat.
                  Www.blackriverhunting.com
                  Master guide 212

Comment

Yes I am biased.
                    Tags are nice and all, but holy cow, people should realize that spring brown bears can be taken w just a harvest ticket and a $25 bear tag. They arenít that terribly hard to find. Pull out a map, find a likely denning area and get there on a sunny spring day. Maybe plan a weekend camp trip from your viewing area. No draw tag needed at all and if successful, youíve even saved some moosies.

Comment

He has a once in a life time tag.
                      Did this actually become a one time (lifetime) only tag now, because I haven't kept up on the regs? Or do you mean just that the likelihood of drawing it again is almost nil? I always thought that drawing the delta bison tag was pretty much a once in a lifetime thing, then when I went with a friend that drew one, we met a guy up there hunting that had drawn the tag at least two times, and he knew somebody that had also drawn it twice. I personally have drawn very low odds Kenai goat tags three times now in a very short period of years. So, it can be done is all I'm saying. He's young right, and has many years to apply. Of course it's discouraging but try and stay positive.
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                        Check the weather. Launch the boat.

Dog Salmon quite a run, even in my boat. I was just telling Peterson I can make his place in about 8 hours. That would be the place to ride out this storm. He said they have no dock space.
                        In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Dog Salmon quite a run, even in my boat. I was just telling Peterson I can make his place in about 8 hours. That would be the place to ride out this storm. He said they have no dock space.
                          Dock? Find a protected cove drop steel and enjoy a epic adventure. Once in a lifetime tag needs a once in a lifetime trip.
                          We been spoiled by options. Lol
                          Those are gone now.
                          Www.blackriverhunting.com
                          Master guide 212

Comment

Also interested to see what the final outcome of this is...I think the BOG has been dealt a bad situation with no great options. There will be people upset one way or the other...I do hope they find an equitable way to figure this out. During these times, there are a lot of people who are hurting, for sure. Hoping that the guides are able to keep things together during this crazy time.

The part that is more interesting to me is the precedent being set. Do they come out and say this is a one-time thing if things are shifted to the right a year? What happens if heaven forbid covid is still around in August and Sept and it starts pushing into sheep/fall bear/goat? Lots of questions to be answered...I don't envy them.

Comment

Anyone hear anything else? With the travel ban I have pretty much called it... but I am still curious what ADFG has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

State holiday today. You didn't expect them to work on their day off, did you??

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X