This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s wrong with the forums?

Draw results came out. Only a couple threads on draw hunts these days. Week before the results it was hot and heavy with attitudes and opinions.
    What, in your opinions, has caused the downturn in the forums? Opinions, disagreement, stupid posts, division, Facebook?
    It was at one time a great place, met a lot of awesome people, read some great stories, shared information and kept up on families and their adventures. Felt kinda like a club and it was a great atmosphere.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

honestly... we need a good Troll! someone to stir the pot, get people upset to push the buttons to get someone coming back to the forum every hour to see if the troll responded to his/her comment. we need a good monkey .

that and I think there are other forums that attract people, and being able to search the forums pretty much allows people to research any draw tag/mountain range/popular river and find info. I mean I've learned that every mountain range in Alaska either has no sheep or so many hunters that you will never find a legal sheep

Comment

Facebook groups and other social media. It is a lot easier to connect on there. It's not just this forum, many others are dying a slow death.

Comment

One of the reasons I like the forums so much is the Search capability. There really is a treasure trove of information out there thru the years stored on the server. I can't search a Facebook page for a specific topic. Many of the Facebook pages just ramble all over the place. Then again, I don't use Twitter, Snapchat or any of those other apps.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by AKducks View Post
          honestly... we need a good Troll! someone to stir the pot, get people upset to push the buttons to get someone coming back to the forum every hour to see if the troll responded to his/her comment. we need a good monkey .
          Well, 323 moved to Colorado and stopped posting as much.
          Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by Finaddict91 View Post
            Facebook groups and other social media. It is a lot easier to connect on there. It's not just this forum, many others are dying a slow death.
            I think this is a big part of it. A number of members who used to post here regularly have either started Facebook groups or just otherwise spend their time discussing the outdoors there rather than here. It's got a wide reach, for sure, but the lack of a searchable archive makes it far less valuable in my opinion.

A lot of friendships have been made here over the years, and a lot of great experiences have grown out of the info shared. Participation seems to be a bit down, but there's still a lot of good here.

Comment

It's the Coronavirus. Nobody wants get it it talking to everyone on here But I agree with the above I spend more time on Facebook groups about hunting then scrolling through here anymore
              PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Comment

Too much negativity. Someone posts a sheep picture and you get loads of comments about it being sub-legal or unethical to shoot it based on age or not letting it grow to 40 inches. Someone shares a hunt location and you get loads of people pissed off about ruining a good spot. Then there are disinformation campaigns. Or someone asks a legitimate question and either gets ridiculed or absolutely no response at all after 200 page views.

All you have to do is look at previous years draw results announcements to see this. All the complaints about why this guy got a tag and he didn't even know everything there is to know about that area, it's unfair that he got 2 tags and I didn't get any, etc. Some people just don't want that drama.

The truth is that there is a lot of information here, so it's easy to find answers to the basics without posting. There are other platforms now such as rokslide, facebook, campfire, etc. and people have moved away from this one to a degree.

Something else I have wondered about in the past (I assume the admins would know this)....I wonder where all the traffic comes from. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the traffic is from a small group of people. Could be a lot of page views from distinct users, but it seems like a majority of the posts are from a small group of people. When a few of those people go away, there goes a lot of traffic with them.

Comment

Agree with everything mentioned above. I will say just the other day I had a co-worker with a Tier 1 Unit 13 tag ask about making a possible caribou rug and what it would take to DIY. I was able to search and pull out a few great threads, some dating back almost 10 years, that I was able to share with him. Granted I knew to look here and he is a new hunter.

Reality is setting in that people didn't get the tag that they wanted, so its back to your OTC tag, calling up your hunting partners, and scheduling what you did last year. I would be curious to know how many moose hunters go back to the same spot, or if there are ones who move every year for the challenge or to explore.

Social media plays a role, whether it be more groups or disagreements, but I value the info on here more than social media since there are fewer stupid posts about asking for GPS coordinates. All the unit 13 groups I am apart of have those members that ask, "Where is the herd?" Some people offer advise, others ridicule.

I would say it is a generational thing with the times and technology. You go with the platform you have been using for years, or do you go with the one that isn't out of the way from your day to day life? I do find it funny that there are so many FB groups that cover the same topics or hunts, but because someone got kicked out, they had to go start their own group. I am sure people have been banned from here, but probably not as trigger happy as a FB group.

Comment

i would say alot moved to fbook. everyone is on it and they all want the quickest claim to fame by showing off to 13,000 people the caribou they just shot. I think its been talked about before but we all know people up on the highway road hunting are probably on their phone looking at the fbook group seeing what people are posting and where they are shooting them then just head to that mp and start looking. Technically wouldnt that be illegal? Alot of the newer generation who gets emerged in the fbook at an early age probably doesnt even know what a forum is.
                    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by oakman View Post
                      Too much negativity. Someone posts a sheep picture and you get loads of comments about it being sub-legal or unethical to shoot it based on age or not letting it grow to 40 inches. Someone shares a hunt location and you get loads of people pissed off about ruining a good spot. Then there are disinformation campaigns. Or someone asks a legitimate question and either gets ridiculed or absolutely no response at all after 200 page views.
                      I suspect this has some truth. But I don't see the negativity as the issue. It is younger members who can't, don't won't, stand up for themselves or others who they support. I always found the negative to be a chance to discuss, educate, etc. Really enjoyed stirring the pot to get discussion going. Plus moderators who tone things down too much!
                      The first, or one of the first, posts of one of my favorite members was about a sheep hunt he did. This was quite some time ago. He and his pard took a couple long shots at a sheep about to go over a ridge. I believe they ended up getting the sheep. I posted a critique and he came right back and defended himself. This guy still contributes and I'm sure will defend his actions if critasized.
                      Agree that FB takes time away from this place also.
                      I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                      I have less friends now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska1986 View Post
                        I would say it is a generational thing with the times and technology.
                        I also think it is generational.........but it is more about generation then technology. It is about how different generations were raised, and their expectations. Men raised in the 40's and 50's can't help the more recent generations because of their expectations. This is sad. It is the reason Joe W. departed this forum. But this problem can't be fixed.

What is ironic is that members will what me to elaborate.......but that will not work, for the above reason.
                        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

We recently did a sportsman show in Sacramento and a guy mentioned he liked my posts on this forum and I should keep it up. I thought posting on FB was enough but apparently not. I will be posting here more often.

Shoot move communicate!
                          Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                          www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

The irony with being more connected these days with technology, is that people tend to feel more disconnected than ever. I suspect this has something to do with it. Like others have mentioned, too much competition from all the other social media distractions. Not only does this prevent people from feeling a sense of community, but it also disconnects people from real life and real living. Less people are going outdoors these days and actually hunting, fishing, trapping etc. As AGL4now mentioned, it is the new generation of millennials and the generations after them that are primarily distracted by their phones and social media. I personally feel that this is a by-product of the technology culture and unfortunately, I think it is only going to get worse. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakcombo View Post
                              We recently did a sportsman show in Sacramento and a guy mentioned he liked my posts on this forum and I should keep it up. I thought posting on FB was enough but apparently not. I will be posting here more often.

Shoot move communicate!
                              Doing a search for AK hunting turns up these threads in the biggest way. I would think for a business like yours, it's good marketing. I have had a number of times where a friend asked about a certain type of hunt. I remembered the post on here and sent it to him. A few of these cases involved them booking flights, lodging, etc. to do the hunt. I don't see FB as having the search capability for these older posts like this site does. As was pointed out above, there is a lot of good information here from over 10 years ago (before people really started pulling back on what they post publicly).

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X