Need a Walkie Talkie/Communication Device Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Im not the smartest guy and I cant remember much from oceanography anymore. I thought they communicate with high frequency clicks and whistles. These noises travel better in different zones in the ocean. Maybe something about noises traveling through the SOFAR zone. Thats why whales have difficulty communicating in shipping lanes.

Anyways I made all that up and has nothing to do with your question. The real reason is the whales heard the villagers talking on the radio about whale hunting and got scared, so they left town. The villagers changed frequencies and the whales were listening to the wrong radio so they never heard the villagers and came back. 100% the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They do sounds wave not RF, a common mistake.
    I could not remember at what frequency so I asked Google and found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._vocalizations.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnMike View Post
      Have you actually done this? I don't think my cheap walkie talkies broadcast their position. Pretty sure you need 2 Rino's that have had the others id number entered to track each other.
      Yes, I wouldn't say it works if I hadnt...! They dont broadcast their signal, but the RINO knows... I only assume the new ones do as well, although a quick read says RINO to RINO.....
      Mine is a older RINO.... ~2004, my wife bought when we couldn't find camp on a sheep hunt..dark, wet, etc.
      I have used it with some pretty cheap radios, its just has to be on the right frequency and channel. If I figured it out it cant be too hard...
      We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

I am liking the VHF for emergency purposes while out hunting. I have a handheld that I take with me on my boat so when I go to shore I have a way to call my boat or any other boat for that matter. Every year or so I'll do some radio checks and talk to a buddy when I know where he is at and it always amazes me how far it works. This is from inside a cove to inside another cove, so not line of sight. Maybe only 3-4 miles away but still! I haven't had as good of luck with my walkie talkies. Of course thay are an older set and I'm sure they must have improved them by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
          You only need one RINO as they will work with any inexpensive (or most) 2 ways and will show you where the other person is, if you are the one holding the RINO.
          Yes, I wouldn't say it works if I hadnt...! They dont broadcast their signal, but the RINO knows... I only assume the new ones do as well, although a quick read says RINO to RINO.....
          Mine is a older RINO.... ~2004, my wife bought when we couldn't find camp on a sheep hunt..dark, wet, etc.
          I have used it with some pretty cheap radios, its just has to be on the right frequency and channel. If I figured it out it cant be too hard...
          That's good to know! Thanks for the tips. I might consider just buying the 1 Rino.

Comment

I may have given you bad info, its been awhile since i have used mine. Its a 130. In any case i did get the rino and the walkie talkie to communicate. However i did not receive the location... its possible what I recall was with another Rino... i hope you didn't run out & buy one on my post.
            We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

I may have given you bad info, its been awhile since i have used mine. Its a 130. In any case i did get the rino and the walkie talkie to communicate. However i did not receive the location... its possible what I recall was with another Rino... i hope you didn't run out & buy one on my post.
              Nope, not yet. Thanks for letting me know. Because I was considering it.

Comment

After using several of the 2-way radios for the past few years, I realized that the ones that performed the best relating to less use of battery power are the Midland GXT series such as the GXT950. This one has a "power/volume" on a rotary knob that is located on top of the radio near the antenna. Any radio where the power/volume control is not setup this way uses a lot more battery power, because even to control the volume you have to press a button (Up/Down arrow). This requires more battery power than turning a rotary knob with your fingers.

Also, another feature I don't want on a radio is having a small LED blinking light. While this LED uses little power to operate, it still uses battery power if you keep the radio on for extended periods of time. Also, don't relay on the rechargeable battery that comes with the radio, since this battery won't last more than 1-2 days or so if you transmit/receive several times each day. Bring a bunch of Alkaline batteries with you.

The radios that include GRMS channels work very well since they can transmit at a higher power level than the CB channels, but require a license if you want to be "legal." I do have the license because it's not very expensive (around $85.00 for 5 years), but if I well remember the license only covers family members:
                https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

So far that radios I like the most are the Midland GXT series such as the GXT950, or at least some of these ones:
                https://www.amazon.com/s?i=aps&k=Mid...ch-alias%3Daps

Comment

Speaking of batteries the lithium batteries seem to really last a long time.

Comment

I bought a pair of Motorola GMRS radios and they worked well. Decent signal when trees or gentle topography blocks line of sight. I checked the cost of the GMRS license and it's a little cheaper than Ray remembers, only $70 for ten years. I think they're the Talkabout T-600 model. Picked them up at AIH for about $100.

Comment

Originally posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
                      I bought a pair of Motorola GMRS radios and they worked well. Decent signal when trees or gentle topography blocks line of sight. I checked the cost of the GMRS license and it's a little cheaper than Ray remembers, only $70 for ten years. I think they're the Talkabout T-600 model. Picked them up at AIH for about $100.
                      Good tips, Thanks CT. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Good to hear from you. I'm assuming everything went well with your cabin project. You should send some pictures some time.

Comment

You mean my ongoing and humbling education in remote logistics? Almost done. With the roofing. Ugh, wish I had it all dried in. Will try to get out there this weekend.

If things were a little more along with the cabin it would be our "social distancing" place of choice.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X