Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coop22250 View Post
    Hahaha I was being a smart*****.

Just having a little fun thinking about being “ready” for a bear attack/charge. Getting one shot off point blank with a rifle was pretty impressive, too bad it was off a bit and didn’t do the job, it pretty impressive none the less. Being young guys, I’d say pretty solid performance by them both. Sounds like he was hurt pretty good but sounds like he will make it with some tough recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha! I was wondering if you were just being sarcastic and I guess we were typing at the same time.....lol.

But I would still like to know how Mr. ak cowboy "prepares" for a bear?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Stalking a moose you know they were paying attention and the fact that he got a round off and hit a charging bear in the head speaks volumes of them being "prepared". Fact is, when we are in bear country (which as Mainer states has changed some with the weather)- all we can do is use our best training and sense and hope that things go well. I don't care how many bears you have seen in the wild- I am always amazed how fast they seem to appear out of nowhere at times. I am very impressed with the hunter getting a round off on target and his partner staying calm enough to put the attacking and moving sow down. They will have a bond that will last a lifetime. Great that they could contact neighbors and things worked out.

Comment

The area around Caribou Creek, Alfred Creek, Eureka and Gunsight appears to have experienced a significant spike in Brown bear numbers over the last 6 years. ADFG has an active predator program for wolves in 13A but have overlooked bear numbers. I recently checked game camera and viewed 6 different bears traveling the same trail over 2 months. Found 3 bonepiles from moose calves within a 2 mile radius without looking off the trail. Not many people hunt brown bears anymore in this area that I know of. 30 years ago there were 4 or 5 guides around but most of the old timers are gone and people mostly want Caribou and Moose. The ADFG regs are pretty open here, no tag needed, one bear per person every year, no closed season...just have to take hide and skull in for seal after getting one. Somebody really needs to address these bear numbers, somebody needs to hunt or guide the area before more moose and caribou calves and hikers/hunters/riders are chewed on. Not discriminating on bears but nobody wants them in the backyard.

Comment

Give me a longitude and latitude and me and a grandson will be happy to thin the herd by a couple. Every time I look for an interior griz I get a glimpse of their back side going away quickly or so far up a hill my old butt can't get to them before freeze up!

Comment

Originally posted by jordan may View Post
            The area around Caribou Creek, Alfred Creek, Eureka and Gunsight appears to have experienced a significant spike in Brown bear numbers over the last 6 years. ADFG has an active predator program for wolves in 13A but have overlooked bear numbers. I recently checked game camera and viewed 6 different bears traveling the same trail over 2 months. Found 3 bonepiles from moose calves within a 2 mile radius without looking off the trail. Not many people hunt brown bears anymore in this area that I know of. 30 years ago there were 4 or 5 guides around but most of the old timers are gone and people mostly want Caribou and Moose. The ADFG regs are pretty open here, no tag needed, one bear per person every year, no closed season...just have to take hide and skull in for seal after getting one. Somebody really needs to address these bear numbers, somebody needs to hunt or guide the area before more moose and caribou calves and hikers/hunters/riders are chewed on. Not discriminating on bears but nobody wants them in the backyard.
            You bring up a valid point. I've thought the same thing. The problem I have with it, is that I don't want to put that much time, money and effort into an animal that I can't eat. And I don't need any more bear hides hanging on my wall. Unless of course someday I find that elusive 9-11 foot bear that is not rubbed. I really wish fish and game would let us sell the hides. I know that brown bear hides sold in Canada last year for around $1000 in the fur harvester's auction. Why is it against the law in Alaska? I agree that the herd needs to be thinned out. But there is little incentive for the average Joe to get out there and put much time and effort in. What's the solution???

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              Ha! I was wondering if you were just being sarcastic and I guess we were typing at the same time.....lol.

But I would still like to know how Mr. ak cowboy "prepares" for a bear?
              At least have rounds in the gun, and not have my gun slung across my back. I'd probably take my scope covers off as well.

All things these guys did not do. The killing shot was made after the guy had to load and chamber his rifle, then fire with scope cover on.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ak_cowboy View Post
                At least have rounds in the gun, and not have my gun slung across my back. I'd probably take my scope covers off as well.

All things these guys did not do. The killing shot was made after the guy had to load and chamber his rifle, then fire with scope cover on.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
                So you hike around hunting with a round chambered? I would not hunt with someone who does that...

Comment

Pretty sure that's one of the things your supposed learn in gun safety.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                  but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Shoot I was just trying to get more information about how not having a pistol equates to not being prepared for a bear encounter; but this new can of worms will be equally interesting to explore...
                    Originally posted by AGL4now
                    Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead.

Comment

Originally posted by a2thak View Post
                      So you hike around hunting with a round chambered? I would not hunt with someone who does that...
                      You must have never hunted upland birds. As long as I know my hunting partners, which I do, I trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by sisusuomi View Post
                        You must have never hunted upland birds. As long as I know my hunting partners, which I do, I trust them.

I have. Birdshot is way different than a high caliper rifle. I do jump shoot waterfowl and upland bird and rabbit shoot with shells loaded with a hunting buddy. Even the most trusted hunting buddy could trip and have a misfire or something. Personally I don’t feel comfortable hiking with a round in the chamber in my group.

Comment

Originally posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
                          Shoot I was just trying to get more information about how not having a pistol equates to not being prepared for a bear encounter...
                          Well the only times I truly needed a pistol in bear encounters, I had no weapon. One time no clothes. One time the bear was totally over top of me for a long time, but never hurt me.
                          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                            Well the only times I truly needed a pistol in bear encounters, I had no weapon. One time no clothes. One time the bear was totally over top of me for a long time, but never hurt me.
                            Nice of that bear to be so gentle, must of been a good time.

Comment

My takeaway is these two fellers handled themselves with true class and just leveled up in a big way! Congrats to these two young gents and get well soon!

Comment

Also unit 13 is predator control area and good unit to harvest any bear you see .....
                                “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X