Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS204 Delta Sheep Hunt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Found this fella in the 204 season. No rain. No other people. Rams all over.
    Shhhhh! You make it sound too good! I want to draw that tag again someday!

    Very well done. That is an exceptionally beautiful ram.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Brian M View Post
      Shhhhh! You make it sound too good! I want to draw that tag again someday!

      Very well done. That is an exceptionally beautiful ram.
      Plenty of rams and incredible country in that unit. Most people donít even hunt their tag, at least not to the level they should. Either way, I was pretty satisfied with him, even after seeing a few that were exceptionally larger...

      Comment


      • #18
        The last few mild winters have certainly been beneficial to the DCUA herd.

        Comment


        • #19
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3669.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2501979 Managed to find this guy on the last day of our hunt. Thanks to the folks on here who provided helpful info!


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ak char View Post
            [ATTACH]98313[/ATTACH] Managed to find this guy on the last day of our hunt. Thanks to the folks on here who provided helpful info!


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            NICE! Man, those last day rams are the best. My 204 hunt ended on my hike back to the truck below treeline after I had already packed my rifle away. You never know when it's going to happen. Way to stay after it until the end!

            Comment


            • #21
              Amazing pictures guys great rams harvested good to see the population so healthy and hunters geting it done!!!
              ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

              Comment


              • #22
                Hello everyone, I've lived in Alaska for 6 years, this will be my first hunt in Alaska and I drew DS204 for this year, it's my first time hunting sheep. I have a wheeler and a wife willing to go with me and my boss is giving me 3 weeks off. I'd very much appreciate any help in managing expectations when it comes to using the wheeler and access points. We'd like to get a moose, caribou, or unique brown bear after the sheep tag is filled. I'm not looking for anyone's secrets, just a good access point as I'm 48 and not what I used to be since a spectacular motorcycle crash in 2012. Thank you so much for everything I've already learned from this thread.

                Comment


                • #23
                  "We'd like to get a moose, caribou, or unique brown bear after the sheep tag is filled." Your expectations are totally unrealistic.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by aknome View Post
                    "We'd like to get a moose, caribou, or unique brown bear after the sheep tag is filled." Your expectations are totally unrealistic.
                    Thank you aknome, that's the kind of info I need and appreciate. I have 3 weeks, sounds like I'd better count on being really fortunate to get a sheep in that amount of time or being too tired for anything else if it takes less time.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      bee2rad, sent you a message

                      we managed a sheep and bonus moose last year up there via supercub

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'd definitely do everything you can do focus on sheep. It's getting late now to do any scouting before the trip, but do what you can. You'll have to out work the other hunters. Not many places in AK where you can drive an ATV, boat, or plane right to where the sheep are at. Plan on putting many miles on your boots. Finding a sheep is tough, judging is a whole other animal unless you stumble across a no doubter. If you fill that tag, you'll still have plenty of work ahead of you just getting down and out. If you're lucky, you'll stumble across something else. While rare, it is possible. A very close friend of mine's dad shot a nice full curl ram in there and then while packing it out saw a caribou and shot that. While packing out the caribou, he came back for a second load of meat and found a grizzly on the caribou and shot it. He has all 3 of them mounted in the same room, very cool story. That guy is as tough as they come too, packing all that out solo over 10 miles.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by rosscoak View Post
                          bee2rad, sent you a message

                          we managed a sheep and bonus moose last year up there via supercub
                          Thank you ross, I'll get back to you later today

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by oakman View Post
                            I'd definitely do everything you can do focus on sheep. It's getting late now to do any scouting before the trip, but do what you can. You'll have to out work the other hunters. Not many places in AK where you can drive an ATV, boat, or plane right to where the sheep are at. Plan on putting many miles on your boots. Finding a sheep is tough, judging is a whole other animal unless you stumble across a no doubter. If you fill that tag, you'll still have plenty of work ahead of you just getting down and out. If you're lucky, you'll stumble across something else. While rare, it is possible. A very close friend of mine's dad shot a nice full curl ram in there and then while packing it out saw a caribou and shot that. While packing out the caribou, he came back for a second load of meat and found a grizzly on the caribou and shot it. He has all 3 of them mounted in the same room, very cool story. That guy is as tough as they come too, packing all that out solo over 10 miles.
                            Thank you, oak. The focus is definitely sheep and I only plan on using the wheeler to get as far from the parking lot or as close to the bottom of the mountain as possible. I cannot fathom not working and hiking very, very hard, that would defeat the satisfaction of hunting this species.

                            Seeing people post that they harvested a sheep within the 1st 5 days of their hunt is the only reason I'm considering other species. I have 3 weeks and if it takes 3 weeks then a ram is all I'm after this year. But if we have a ram in 10 days or less, and have the meat vac packed and in the freezer, we can go back out and see about another species. Thanks again.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Last year on that tag we saw legal sheep, caribou, and moose within a few miles of each other. Along with plenty of grizzly sign. Caribou season ends August 27th if I remember correctly however. I donít think itís unrealistic to have a shot at a moose or bear after your sheep, given the amount of time youíre putting in.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by ak char View Post
                                Last year on that tag we saw legal sheep, caribou, and moose within a few miles of each other. Along with plenty of grizzly sign. Caribou season ends August 27th if I remember correctly however. I donít think itís unrealistic to have a shot at a moose or bear after your sheep, given the amount of time youíre putting in.
                                Thank you, char. I saw your pm and replied. Thanks for the caution on water crossings.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X