DS204 Delta Sheep Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS204 Delta Sheep Hunt

Iím headed up Friday the 13th, to hunt until season closes on the 20th! How are the creeks looking? Anybody got any tips or information from being in country this year? Iím really hell bent on where to go. Iíd like to get over to Pegmatite/Boulder/Spur area on ATVís! Iíll call the biologist again before I leave. Just want to make the most of this hunt. Was hoping for snow but itís still been warm for this time of year. Just looking for input before I decide where to go exactly. Thanks

Jason
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Remember, you can get three or four feet of heavy wet snow. It has happened to me twice on sheep hunts in mid September, and both times were very nearly fatal. Wishing you success.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Iím hoping it doesnít get that bad, but a little snow wonít hurt. I keep looking at the weather cam for Black Rapids, there is just a dusting in them thar hills. Iím hoping for success as Iíve heard people say to go the last part of the season. Hopefully will have the place to myself!

Comment

I got mine out of that area on September 19th down in the alders. There had been early snow, but it all pushed back by then. Saw lots of hunters around Labor Day, but was all alone at the end of the season. Good luck!

Comment

I got one a week ago. Saw two other groups of hunters and lots of sheep

Comment

We got this guy in that area on Friday. Saw several other legal rams and no people.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Picture Fish ak! Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
                Iím headed up Friday the 13th, to hunt until season closes on the 20th! How are the creeks looking? Anybody got any tips or information from being in country this year? Iím really hell bent on where to go. Iíd like to get over to Pegmatite/Boulder/Spur area on ATVís! Iíll call the biologist again before I leave. Just want to make the most of this hunt. Was hoping for snow but itís still been warm for this time of year. Just looking for input before I decide where to go exactly. Thanks

Jason
                Jason, I was in there 8/26 through 9/1. Trail conditions were wetter than some years due to how wet August was. Creek levels were already relatively low and manageable. The boggs on the trails were messy. We filled one tag and still have one to go. On 9/1 the forecast was calling for 2 days of blowing 50 to 60 MPH so we bugged out. We're heading back in on the 13th as well to try and fill the second tag. Good luck to you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	James and Kyle Ram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2501965

Comment

Originally posted by fish_ak View Post
                  We got this guy in that area on Friday. Saw several other legal rams and no people.
                  Beautiful ram....congrats!!!
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gmork View Post
                    Jason, I was in there 8/26 through 9/1. Trail conditions were wetter than some years due to how wet August was. Creek levels were already relatively low and manageable. The boggs on the trails were messy. We filled one tag and still have one to go. On 9/1 the forecast was calling for 2 days of blowing 50 to 60 MPH so we bugged out. We're heading back in on the 13th as well to try and fill the second tag. Good luck to you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98282[/ATTACH]
                    Awesome sheep!

Comment

Gmork,

Did you access the area from the AK Highway at mp 1388.4? Can you get around the boggs? Might be by myself, trying to see if I need to bring someone else!

Jason

Nice ram

Comment

Fish_ak

Very nice ram

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
                          Gmork,

Did you access the area from the AK Highway at mp 1388.4? Can you get around the boggs? Might be by myself, trying to see if I need to bring someone else!

Jason

Nice ram
                          Hi Jason,

No, we went in east of the Gerstle. There are several viable trails in on the east side. Years ago I was told that the bogg between Independent Ridge and the main mountains was a stopper. I believe most folks who successfully make it to Spur get dropped off by a cub close to the Johnson upstream of Independent Ridge.

Comment

Found this fella in the 204 season. No rain. No other people. Rams all over.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Muche View Post
                              Found this fella in the 204 season. No rain. No other people. Rams all over.
                              VERY nice ram there! Congratulations indeed.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X