Tips for getting through the Alders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for getting through the Alders

In my Onyx and Google Earth map studies, a few of my hunt locations involve stretches of 200- 400yards of what looks like alder thickets to get through before breaking into the alpine regions. Im expecting it to be slow going and difficult, and Ill have a pair of leather gloves for myself and my boys, that said

1) have any other tips for getting through these thick hillsides?
    2) are we likely to encounter a grizzley in the thick alders—i cant imagine being quiet enough to spook one, but if that is where they like to bed, I suppose it could happen.

Thanks for the help.

I find myself using a lot of four-letter words.

In all seriousness, just grin and bear it. Gun placement can be key- if its not too steep carrying your gun/bow can be helpful.

Try to link grass sections or easier ground. Monster shrubs can be worse than alderville.

Persistence. You'll make it to alpine, and it will be glorious up there!

Comment

For sure one of those grin and bear it situations. No easy way to do it. If it's raining it's even harder.

Comment

Sometimes I switch my gun sling over to a safari gun sling so I can guide the barrel through the alders or other vegetation. Doesn't get hung up and easy access for deer or bears.

Comment

You know that the alder patches are bad when you choose to go through the devils club instead.
          sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Lay a track up with your GPS. If it was easy going up, come back that way. If it was a disaster, take another route down. I have also found that a staff, 4-5' or about can be handy as a walking stick or beating down Devils Cub and berry bushes.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Remove top crossbar from frame pack. They catch a lot of brush. Internal frame pack goes through brush better but don’t handle being overloaded as well as frame pack. Trekking poles have straps they allow you to let go of pole to grab brush and still keep pole ready to use. Gun will drive you crazy no matter what you do with it. That is why I carry a short barreled encore. It fits on pack and doesn’t hang up on brush. Bliss. Brush is a mental game. Just push through. I don’t worry about bears, but bees can be bad.

Comment

IF you're going to an area that has a large black bear population, you most likely won't see many grizzly/brown bears. They tend not to "crowd" each other.

Comment

Expect to trip at least a few times from hidden ones you didn't see!

Comment

I use the D-8 with two barrel ripper.
                    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by jrb View Post
                      Remove top crossbar from frame pack..
                      Theres a reason the dudes at barneys calls it the "Alder Catcher"
                      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

In the Alaska Range they can be awful, one thing for sure what ever way you go up, go back down the same way. What looks good form above can turn into a bad situation trying to come back down. Once you get started it can be so steep you literally cannot go back up, so then you are committed. It can be hard to maintain footing or even see where the footing is.... Bears... they have enough sense to avoid the alders............!

Essentially its easier to pick the best path from below than it is above, which is fortunate as I have always started from the bottom...LOL....
                        “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
                          ...one thing for sure what ever way you go up, go back down the same way.
                          Imo, that totally depends....if you almost killed yourself on the way up do you really wanna push your luck a second time taking that route back down? I know I haven't and I've been glad I changed route a number of times.
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Wear safety glasses.

Comment

I discovered while packing a goat out through an alder patch that I can move pretty fast in those moments right after I have disturbed a hornets nest.
                              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X