Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawkeye Alaskan or savage brush hunter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misportsman View Post
    I have a Hawkeye African in 9.3x62. Great gun and shoots beautiful! The only thing with it is the wood stock. I can't bring myself to change it (especially since it's a limited release lipsey exclusive) so I don't want to use it in too much wet weather.
    Does your have a muzzle brake? Mine does not, and it too has a beautiful wood stock. Since I didn't want to damage it, I ordered a McMillan stock cut to my correct trigger pull including a decelerator recoil pad. It took 5 months of waiting, but the African fit perfectly on it, so I didn't have to do anything to it to make it fit.

Comment

No, mine does not have a break either. I had thought about ordering a aftermarket stock and possibly cerakoting the barrel and action. Still an option but the gun is so nice the way it is so might just get another wet weather big boomer. Still all up in the air.

Comment

Is there any way to truly waterproof a wood stock?

Comment

Flex seal.
          Www.blackriverhunting.com
          Master guide 212

Comment

Thanks I have a vz-8x57 project gun I will give it a try on first and if all goes well in may end up on my Hawkeye African. Then I will wait tell tax time and to buy my new one.

Comment

All joking aside, if you use the clear stuff will it change the appearance of the wood and would it be safe to use it on a gun?

Comment

The wood stock is so nice that I din't want to mess with it. The McMillan stock is expensive, and it takes around 5 moths of waiting, but you can order it to the correct trigger pull with a decelerator or other recoil pad. I have somewhat short arms, but that may not be the case with a lot of people

You could always buy a laminated stock and put the factory wood stock away. I have a Hogue stock on another .338WM rifle, something like this one, but black color (bought it from Midway several years ago for under $200.00):

https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/ruger/m77mkii

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'll look into that

Comment

My .375 Ruger is a Hawkeye African. This rifle has become my go-to rifle over the past several years. It shoots like a varmint rifle, the recoil is fairly mild, and it doesn't have a break. JMHO
                    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Did you keep the factory wood stock or change it out for a synthetic?

Comment

I have decided to wait until tax time and go with the Hawkeye Alaskan. The .338 win mag in an excellent cartridge, but I think I'll go all the way and get the .375 ruger

Comment

I have decided to wait until tax time and go with the Hawkeye Alaskan. The .338 win mag in an excellent cartridge, but I think I'll go all the way and get the .375 ruger
                          Ya won’t be disappointed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope you enjoy the Ruger. I wanted one for years. As a Lefty shooter it was hard finding just the "right" one. As we were in the middle of our big move up here I saw some on close out, but couldn't break any cash loose until our move and house were done.
                            I saw CDNN had a close out sale on LH 375 Rugers again on a slightly different model (white camo stock). Right at $600. I mtd my savings account and talked the Wife into loaning me some $ against my allowance and got one ordered before they were gone.
                            I still don't have a scope for it (did not come with open sights).
                            Finding brass has been slow. Midway had a sale, but has NEVER had any in stock while I've been looking. Three bears had one pack that I bought, haven't seen any more there. I got one pack off AlaskaList. Ordered a couple off MidSouthShooters but choked on the shipping so reduced it to one pac (I wrote them a note and they said if I ordered by phone I could get USPS flat rate shipping).

Good luck with yours!

Comment

+1 Savage. I was in the same boat a few years ago and picked up a Savage, I will never look back as it is extremely accurate, well made and I'm not paying for a name. I own several Savages now and my expensive, fancy Remington's and Ruger's are probably sad as they have become safe queens.
                              Just my 2 cents
                              Mike

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X