Alaska heat wave and the Berry crop, I hope the bears can still get fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska heat wave and the Berry crop, I hope the bears can still get fat

So do ya think the heat wave will hurt the blue berry production? If it does, what will the bears munch on to get fat?

Slow hunters.

Comment

Picnic baskets.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I actually think the opposite is true. I think that more heat and sunshine will produce a bumper crop of berries. If anything, the bears will benefit from a surplus of berries. At least that's my opinion/prediction but I could be wrong. I know very little about berries.

Comment

Friend picked quite a load of salmonberries and high bush blueberries today. Obviously more water available along the coast, but still, it was encouraging.

Comment

My wife went out to Bristol bay to pick tundra salmonberries. She said there was lots, but they are small because it is too dry. That has always been our observation for berries. Those plants need an equal amount of sunshine and rain to thrive. The bears will just have to work harder.... maybe stay longer on the mountainsides :-)

Comment

Berry crop in Juneau is doing good. The blue berries seam to be larger then normal.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                Picnic baskets.
                Yeti cubs.....

Comment

Half of my blue berry bushes are thriving. High bush salmon berries the same. Best strawberry crop I have ever had.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I just don't know what will happen, but this year the interior of Alaska is as dry as I have seen it for a long time. Berries still need rain after the snow melts, and this past winter it didn't really snow as much as in previous years. I drove down to Summit Lake last week, and the vegetation along the way was quite dry. Ah! How about all the thunderstorms we are having this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                      My wife went out to Bristol bay to pick tundra salmonberries. She said there was lots, but they are small because it is too dry. That has always been our observation for berries. Those plants need an equal amount of sunshine and rain to thrive. The bears will just have to work harder.... maybe stay longer on the mountainsides :-)
                      I have observed a couple things when alpine berries are thin. #1, bears spend more time on valley floors along riverbanks that have soapberries, and are much harder to spot. #2. Those bears in the alpine are on the go. Instead of camping out on a lush berry patch, they roam and pick as they go, always searching for better picking. If there is a good berry slope, there will likely be more bears on it , as they will concentrate toward the decent spot.

Comment

Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
                        . If there is a good berry slope, there will likely be more bears on it , as they will concentrate toward the decent spot.
                        Focus the berry pickers in your family in the places with lots of bears!! Hahaha
                        I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                        I have less friends now!!

Comment

Just to clarify berries are spectacular in the chugach already ripe and i could let you know about the interior next week. the kenai looks amazing as well. Berries everywhere.
                          I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Comment

What percent of the berries are ripe in the Chugach?
                            RandyS

Comment

We were eating blue berries Sunday on Lion Head. A tad sour still but good enough for first of the year and plenty of them.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X