Unit 23 NW Arctic RAC at it again...now they want to close moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit 23 NW Arctic RAC at it again...now they want to close moose

First caribou, now moose. NW Arctic RAC is requesting that moose hunting on federal PUBLIC LANDS in Unit 23 be closed to all except local residents.

I guess PUBLIC LANDS really means local resident only lands.

https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/news...7-02-regarding

"Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Arcticwildman View Post

I guess PUBLIC LANDS really means local resident only lands.

Of course it does! Somebody really needs to change the words to that song that our kids sing to...."This land AIN'T your land....this land AIN'T my land, It's only THEIR land, because they say so......."
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

It will be a sad day when federal lands become exclusive hunting preserves. Let's hope this doesn't go through.

Comment

Originally posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
          It will be a sad day when federal lands become exclusive hunting preserves. Let's hope this doesn't go through.

What would you be willing to trade.......??? Would you be willing to accept a shorter season for "Non-Residents" of the sub-unit. And an extra 30 days to the season for residents of the sub-unit.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
            What would you be willing to trade.......??? Would you be willing to accept a shorter season for "Non-Residents" of the sub-unit. And an extra 30 days to the season for residents of the sub-unit.
            Often, already done. For instance in south central some subsistence users get an August 10 start for moose and a bonus October to November season on the Kenai refuge. Plus fork and 3 brow tine that general season hunters don't get. If subsistence users in unit 23 don't have a bonus season or less antler restrictions than general hunters that is their fault.

So nothing would need to be traded. I'm saying all US residents who contribute tax dollars towards these lands should be able to access and utilize them. Hunting and fishing were the main reasons national wildlife refuges were created and they were not created for private hunting reserves for certain people only.

Comment

Do you think Athna is listening? Coming to a unit near you ,,,and soon

Comment

Is that a belief......or is there a contract that states that. This not about what is fair and/or right. (Note: I basically agree with you in principal) We have this silly idea that we have some rights or some influence over the Federal Governments actions that effect us. Question: How is that assumption working out for us.....??? Answer: Not very well.

Originally posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
                I'm saying all US residents who contribute tax dollars towards these lands should be able to access and utilize them. .

Comment

Jan 24 hearing in Kotz - call in, express your opinion

https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/news...7-02-regarding

Public Meeting information is below:
                  Kotzebue

6:00 p.m. 8:00 p.m, Tuesday, January 24, 2017
                  Northwest Arctic Heritage Center
                  171 Third Avenue, Kotzebue, Alaska 99752

Teleconference: TOLL FREE (877) 638-8165

Passcode: 9060609

The Federal Subsistence Board is committed to providing access to this meeting for all participants. Please direct all requests for sign language interpreting services, closed captioning, or other accommodation needs to the Office of Subsistence Management by calling (800) 478-1456, by emailing subsistence@fws.gov, or (800)-877-8339 (TTY), at least seven business days prior to the meeting.

Additional information on the Federal Subsistence Management Program may be found on the web at www.doi.gov/subsistence or by visiting www.facebook.com/subsistencealaska.
                  Mark Richards
                  www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Mark, can you provide a brief synopsis of RHAK's stance, and how they plan to approach this issue?

Comment

RHAK's position continues to be that using the fed system to restrict non-local residents when a caribou or moose population is not in a Tier situation is not fair or right and it certainly isn't what our state constitution intended. When, where, and if we have real conservation concerns for a caribou or moose population we need to look at restricting nonresidents first.

As far as the "locals" in Unit 23, we've argued that these federal actions don't leave the door open to allow their own relatives who now live outside the region to come home to hunt on fed lands, all the feds can do is to restrict all non-local hunters, which includes residents and nonresidents. We've also argued that these closures created crowding and conflicts on state lands, places below high-water mark etc.

Our basic position is that
                      residents are all brother and sister hunters no matter where we live or how or why we hunt. Any resident who harvests an animal and utilizes the meat to feed himself or family is a subsistence hunter. Excluding your brother and sister hunters before first excluding the nonresident component is not the answer to any perceived or real problems.

Once these kind of special action requests get momentum, they tend to steamroll and of course as many know this isn't the only region of the state where this is moving fwd.

I'll talk to Chris McKee ahead of the call on Jan 24th; I don't think they have allocated enough time for public testimony. Anyway, hope folks do take the time to weigh in.

Mark Richards
                      www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Wouldn't it be hard to argue that moose are a true "subsistence food" in area they were not common in the past, nor available as a traditional food source? Seems to me that this global warming caused by "non-locals" is the reason they have moose to hunt?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0152636

Comment

"Once these kind of special action requests get momentum, they tend to steamroll and of course as many know this isn't the only region of the state where this is moving fwd".

This is where the real problem is at. If the hunters don't come out strong against this Unit 23 will become a private hunting reserve for the residents of unit 23. We are talking about a unit as large as Indiana. And this is coming to other units as we speak. Fight it now or don't bother when it comes to the road system.

If there is biological data to support a closure than it should be closed to ALL hunting. Remember that I am a federally qualified subsistence hunter guys! This is local political power and no science.

Walt

Comment

This is political correctness, party pandering, and making reparations for something. I couldn't agree more that once this gets rolling, it can't be stopped. Federal lands should be open for usage to all citizens. Allowing one group to have an advantage isn't right.

Back when they had the meeting for the Caribou closure, I felt that hundreds of comments from non-subsistence hunters would be needed to offset one subsistence hunter comment. I hope the pressure is there, but it doesn't feel right. I hope this new administration looks at this with a open eye and gives some common sense policy interjection.

Walt is right- if science shows there is a reason to stop hunting, then all hunting should be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by KJH View Post
                              Walt is right- if science shows there is a reason to stop hunting, then all hunting should be stopped.
                              And whom do you really think this would impact. For sure not the rural residents. It would only impact the NON-rural residents.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X