Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping bears outta camp; fences, moth balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping bears outta camp; fences, moth balls?

I'm wondering what others do to keep bears away while camping?

Places I ride (atv) over the summer have a healthy black bear population and a few bait stations in the area.

I want to spend a 5-7 days in the area and feel I need to do something to ward-off potential visitors. While shooting them IS an option, I don't want them in camp. A bear fence is possible solution, but do they work? Are they worth the money? Any recommendations on a particular brand or type that is effective? (After reading reviews for some fences, I'm not sure they're worth the $$.) I've heard of placing moth balls around camp, but am not sure if that's effective. Besides keeping a clean camp and storing food separately, is there anything else I should consider to discourage bears from visiting while I'm fishing or enjoying the area?

Thanks,

Tim

The day I set camp, I piss all around it in a circle. And do so the entire time I'm there. Not to say the Bears won't come in, but I have personally never had camp Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Comment

From what I have been told wrapping a can of ether in bacon works really well.

Never tried it but it sounds hilarious.

We've always just tried to keep camp as clean as possible. Had tracks near camp in the night but never in camp. Knock on wood.....

Comment

mothballs work great.... but if you are that concerned run a fence (double/triple row) and add some mothballs

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Comment

Originally posted by HuntAK59 View Post
          The day I set camp, I piss all around it in a circle. And do so the entire time I'm there. Not to say the Bears won't come in, but I have personally never had camp Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also do this whenever I'm out backpacking, can't say it works 100%, but I've never had a bear come near camp.
          Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Comment

The day I set camp, I piss all around it in a circle. And do so the entire time I'm there.
            That's impressive. I can usually only piss for a minute or so. Can't imagine pissing the entire time I was in camp.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Urinating has worked for me..

On a side note, had a bear get into a friends' cabin a few years ago- bit into a can of bug spray, and it tore the place up pretty good in it's discomfort (we assume based on the evidence left behind). Came in through the door, left through a closed window.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by ProHunterAK View Post
                mothballs work great.... but if you are that concerned run a fence (double/triple row) and add some mothballs
                There is some evidence that mothballs are toxic to other animals. And once you put them out, they start to dissolve. Especially if it's wet out. Most folks are not going to try to clean that gooey mess up; they'll just leave it and animals will pick them up.

The electric fence works, it's not lethal to anything, and it comes out of the field with you. The only downside is to the poor man who stumbles out of the tent at night to answer the call of nature. It won't be long until he figures out that the doorbell has an electrical short. That man will not sleep well for a while, but it's a sure bet that any bear within yowling distance will get the message...
                Michael Strahan
                Site Owner
                Alaska Hunt Consultant
                1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

To the OP: Yellowjacket is a good brand, or so I am told. Honestly I don't worry about it too much and have only had one experience with bears in camp. A young black bear that was attracted to the food we left wrapped up in a tarp on the ground. Our fault. The bear never came back after we hung the food about 15' up in between two trees.
                  Michael Strahan
                  Site Owner
                  Alaska Hunt Consultant
                  1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

I've used a commercial fence once with a friend and then made my own using the concept in the make it yourself section of the forum, chugiaktinkerer made a thread titled diy electric bear fence.
                    There is a YouTube video testing bear fences in West Yellowstone and it convinced me to start using a fence.
                    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. Bear fences are kinda steep in $$.
                      Great point about the mothballs, Mike. Like others, I pee around camp too, and try to keep a clean camp and food stored outta camp. Thanks for the link to the diy post, Scott.

Comment

I've used an electric fence while deer hunting on Kodiak and I can say they definitely work. We saw bears every day. Our camp was 50 yards from a salmon spawning ground. We regularly saw bears close to camp, and at night you could hear the bears come close to our tent to investigate. Once there noses hit the fence, they would get a shock and quickly bolt off to safety. I was surprised at how well it worked. I will say that moisture in the ground can affect how well it works though. If the ground is frozen and you don't get a good ground it can be ineffective. But if it's raining outside the bear will get a good jolt.

Comment

Electric fence is cheap if it keeps bear from ending your hunt early or destroying.a raft. You have to look at it as a long term investment. I have used one several time on kodiak and atonal never had a bear in camp .

Comment

The electric bear fences work. I used them for the first time in Kodiak and didn't lose any meat or equipment to bears. I had two... one for my tent and the other for my hanging deer. Bears were there, it got hit one night because I had a gut pile less than 100 yards away. Those mesh fences are best for meat. Bought one on sale at Bass pro for $100. It's well worth it to me for good sleep and safety of tent, meat, atv, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fshgde View Post
                              Electric fence is cheap if it keeps bear from ending your hunt early or destroying.a raft. You have to look at it as a long term investment. I have used one several time on kodiak and atonal never had a bear in camp .
                              GREAT point!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X