Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping bears outta camp; fences, moth balls?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Those mesh fences are best for meat. Bought one on sale at Bass pro for $100.
    Happen to have a link or name/model?
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

    Comment


    • #17
      I hear leaving a little transistor radio playing all the time is supposed to work. I guess a guy would have to bring a lot of batteries with him tho if he plans on staying out there for awhile, or maybe have some kind of solar set up?
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Electric bear fence for me...not always, but definitely at times. For sure a big expense, but I have not regretted taking that step because I do sleep better when I have determined that it is wise to put up the fence. They also last pretty well, so you can get years of application.

        ADFG talks about bear fences: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ars.bearfences

        I bought mine locally.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by shimano 33 View Post
          Happen to have a link or name/model?
          Not off the top of my head. I've only seen two models being sold in town between Sportsmans, Cabelas, and Bass Pro. One is a camp fence, 3 lines, cost $225-250. The other is a meat cache fence, mesh and much smaller in diameter, $300. I bought two of the meat caches fences for my meat and atv when I'm out and away from it and one camp fence. They definitely work. Bears were cleaning up my gut piles overnight.

          Comment


          • #20
            I bought mine here: http://www.eaglesafety.net/index.html

            My model is a bit older and looks slightly different then the one they sell now, but I think it is essentially the same and has been a good unit. Used it several times thus far...on Kodiak twice, most recently last October during mountain goat hunt...needed it for sure...and it definitely worked because there were many bears all around the lake where we were camped (or all those bears were very well mannered).

            Comment


            • #21
              Bear fences seem to work, IMO. I use them on a personal basis when I think they are needed (camping with family, camping in areas with high bear numbers) and also during the course of my job (traveling with teens/environmental education camps). I also use one around game quarters/meat when in a remote setting to where I will be there a while. I have never had an issue with a bear coming into camp. Perhaps that's coincidence... perhaps not.

              IMHO, you can put together a good fence for a fraction of the cost by buying the components separately on places like Amazon and eBay. That is what has worked for me.

              Comment


              • #22
                On kodiak I use a bear fence. Everywhere else I urinate all around my tent, especially near foottrails (likely approaches). If meat is in camp, I'll pee all around the cache too. It's theoretical, but I've seen wolf males urinate on brush and a more dominant male go to the same bush and try to get his urine spray higher up on the veg to "top" his competitor. Taking that wisdom, i pee as high as possible on vegetation so that my scent is carried longer and farther by wind.

                I've used moth balls too, and havent had a bear problem...could be coincidence. But as of the late 80's federal regulations forced manufacturers to use non-toxic chemicals in all US moth balls. Perhaps these chemicals wont harm predator or pray, but who knows how affects rodents and insects, not to mention sensitive vegetation.

                LB
                https://pristineventures.com

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                  I will say that moisture in the ground can affect how well it works though. If the ground is frozen and you don't get a good ground it can be ineffective. But if it's raining outside the bear will get a good jolt.
                  Jack, you are correct grounding can be a problem. Whether it's dry ground, frozen ground, inadequate penetration, etc. The easy away around this is to run ground wires parallel with hot wires around the same perimeter. I alternate a positive and negative wire 6" apart all the way around and don't even mess with a ground. The animal must touch two wires simultaneously to get hit, but with a large critter this is not a problem.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                    I've used an electric fence while deer hunting on Kodiak and I can say they definitely work. We saw bears every day. Our camp was 50 yards from a salmon spawning ground. We regularly saw bears close to camp, and at night you could hear the bears come close to our tent to investigate. Once there noses hit the fence, they would get a shock and quickly bolt off to safety. I was surprised at how well it worked. I will say that moisture in the ground can affect how well it works though. If the ground is frozen and you don't get a good ground it can be ineffective. But if it's raining outside the bear will get a good jolt.
                    Totally agree. Have had bears in camp on Kodiak and I don't know whether or not they actually touched the fence, but they tore everything up that was outside the fenced area and never came into the fenced area. Wet ground is a plus and it's also a good idea to make sure nothing is growing up/touching the fence causing it to ground out.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If you're having a difficult time justifying the cost of a good fence another idea is to just go in on it with a buddy or two. When three buddies and myself purchased our tent (probably 10 years or so ago), it ended up costing us about $50 each. Since the purchase, one buddy left state and between myself and the other two guys, it's never been an issue as to who gets to use it because we're usually hunting at different times or together.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I've only used one once - in the Brooks Range on a sheep hunt - but I think I'm going to invest in one this year so that I can leave an airplane behind without worrying about a bear chewing on my tires.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
                          If you're having a difficult time justifying the cost of a good fence another idea is to just go in on it with a buddy or two. When three buddies and myself purchased our tent (probably 10 years or so ago), it ended up costing us about $50 each. Since the purchase, one buddy left state and between myself and the other two guys, it's never been an issue as to who gets to use it because we're usually hunting at different times or together.
                          Great idea!

                          Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          I've only used one once - in the Brooks Range on a sheep hunt - but I think I'm going to invest in one this year so that I can leave an airplane behind without worrying about a bear chewing on my tires.
                          What? Did you buy an airplane now? You lucky son of a gun. Did you get a cub?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                            What? Did you buy an airplane now? You lucky son of a gun. Did you get a cub?
                            Sort of. I've been flying for 16 years - all of that in a 172 up until the last year and a half. My father's cub has been sitting for a decade+. He told me that he'd sell it if I don't fly it, so...that was enough motivation to get after it! I don't technically have a cub, but I've got the next best thing - a key. Spoiled, I know, but I'm going to take full advantage while it's still in the family. Just upgraded the tires, have a belly pod on order, and have burned more avgas in the past year than I have in the last 10 combined. Sure has been fun thus far!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                              Sort of. I've been flying for 16 years - all of that in a 172 up until the last year and a half. My father's cub has been sitting for a decade+. He told me that he'd sell it if I don't fly it, so...that was enough motivation to get after it! I don't technically have a cub, but I've got the next best thing - a key. Spoiled, I know, but I'm going to take full advantage while it's still in the family. Just upgraded the tires, have a belly pod on order, and have burned more avgas in the past year than I have in the last 10 combined. Sure has been fun thus far!
                              Not many things in my life cause me to envy as I've been blessed but Cubs........Cubs cause envy.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                                I hear leaving a little transistor radio playing all the time is supposed to work. I guess a guy would have to bring a lot of batteries with him tho if he plans on staying out there for awhile, or maybe have some kind of solar set up?
                                Depends on what type of music. Country Western seems to draw them in. Must be all the whining and crying. Rock keeps them away.
                                Marking camp (or your kill) works for me. It's what the critters do. You just gotta have piss that makes you smell like the badest dude in the jungle. It helps if you beat your chest and bellow out a tarzan yell while you piss. Works for me. Never had one in camp, or on my kill.
                                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X