Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaskan Draw Recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alaskan Draw Recommendations

    I live in Idaho and have only hunted in Alaska a few times. However, next year I want to do lots of hunting up there and would like suggestions for which draws to put in for. I am interested in Browns, Rams and Moose although I will hunt general if I don't draw. Any recommendations would be great. Although I want trophies, I am more interested in harvesting than record books. Thanks.

  • #2
    Get a guide. You will need one for Browns and Rams. You don't need to draw. If you want to hunt next year you need to plan on over the counter harvest tickets.

    Comment


    • #3
      In some ways you're in a good position on the draw tags. You'll have to get a guide as stated above, but some of those areas (like Kodiak) have close to 100% draw success (you can only put in for the draw if you have an agreement with the guide). For Moose, one of the most popular would be the Koyukuk area. Some of those have guide requirements, some don't.

      It would be easier to give you some suggestions if you were a little more specific on what you're interested in. Just a bear, huge moose, etc...

      Guides can be expensive, some of the DIY type hunts for moose can get spendy quick as well. Need to get an idea of what you're willing to spend on a hunt.

      Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oakman View Post
        In some ways you're in a good position on the draw tags. You'll have to get a guide as stated above, but some of those areas (like Kodiak) have close to 100% draw success (you can only put in for the draw if you have an agreement with the guide). For Moose, one of the most popular would be the Koyukuk area. Some of those have guide requirements, some don't.

        It would be easier to give you some suggestions if you were a little more specific on what you're interested in. Just a bear, huge moose, etc...

        Guides can be expensive, some of the DIY type hunts for moose can get spendy quick as well. Need to get an idea of what you're willing to spend on a hunt.

        Good luck!
        Thanks for the advise. I'm aware of the relative/guide requirements for ram and browns, as I do have a sister that lives there but she doesn't hunt. But I may be able to drag her along in the right circumstances. However, I prefer the DIY approach versus the guide. Mostly because of cost, but also I enjoy the uncertainties and adventures that come along without a professional. But if you have a guide recommendation, I would give him a call to explore my options.

        Regarding more specifics, there aren't many. The moose needs to be over 50" (I don't need a 70") and tasty, the brown needs to be average or maybe even below, and the ram needs to be legal. Money isn't a huge factor for me, as it cost me about $5k for a 14 day DIY moose hunt in 2013. I am familiar and acceptable regarding transportation costs once in Alaska, and I would love to hire a pilot to get me up the mountain for the ram. So if I could get any of these animals for around $5k, that would be great.

        For now I would like to put in for the three draws for each animal and see if I get lucky. Then depending what I draw, I can figure out my game plan from there.

        Thanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bowelk View Post
          But I may be able to drag her along in the right circumstances. .
          Bear in mind that your sister will actually have to accompany you on the hunt, she can't be in camp while you are hunting, she needs to be in close proximity.
          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

          Comment


          • #6
            Regarding more specifics, there aren't many. The moose needs to be over 50" (I don't need a 70") and tasty, the brown needs to be average or maybe even below, and the ram needs to be legal. Money isn't a huge factor for me, as it cost me about $5k for a 14 day DIY moose hunt in 2013. I am familiar and acceptable regarding transportation costs once in Alaska, and I would love to hire a pilot to get me up the mountain for the ram. So if I could get any of these animals for around $5k, that would be great.


            If you find a guide who will drop you off in the mountains near a definite legal ram for under 5k, let me know
            its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not up to speed on this, but I think a sheep or bear guide is going to cost you upwards of 10 grand. If you're just looking for good options for tags, I'd look at DS102, DS103, DS203, DS204, and anything in Unit 13 or 14.

              For moose, I'd look at unit 21, but make sure you have the logistics figured out first.

              Best bet for bear permits is Kodiak, but you'll need the guide agreement first.

              Comment


              • #8
                The bear guide I know personally is about 25k...


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bowelk View Post
                  Thanks for the advise. I'm aware of the relative/guide requirements for ram and browns, as I do have a sister that lives there but she doesn't hunt. But I may be able to drag her along in the right circumstances. However, I prefer the DIY approach versus the guide. Mostly because of cost, but also I enjoy the uncertainties and adventures that come along without a professional. But if you have a guide recommendation, I would give him a call to explore my options.

                  Regarding more specifics, there aren't many. The moose needs to be over 50" (I don't need a 70") and tasty, the brown needs to be average or maybe even below, and the ram needs to be legal. Money isn't a huge factor for me, as it cost me about $5k for a 14 day DIY moose hunt in 2013. I am familiar and acceptable regarding transportation costs once in Alaska, and I would love to hire a pilot to get me up the mountain for the ram. So if I could get any of these animals for around $5k, that would be great.

                  For now I would like to put in for the three draws for each animal and see if I get lucky. Then depending what I draw, I can figure out my game plan from there.

                  Thanks.
                  Thus the reason non-resident next of kin should be taken out of resident pool... and better yet they should only be allowed to apply as a party!!! It should be first degree kindred also or maybe second degree by blood at most!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hunttolive View Post
                    Thus the reason non-resident next of kin should be taken out of resident pool... and better yet they should only be allowed to apply as a party!!! It should be first degree kindred also or maybe second degree by blood at most!
                    Dont agree here?Couple of my most favorite hunts came with my out of stater brother...Don't see any thing wrong here...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think the whole guide requirement ought to go, although I should probably start a separate thread for that conversation...


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hunttolive View Post
                        It should be first degree kindred also or maybe second degree by blood at most!
                        Or most simply, not at all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bowelk View Post
                          I'm aware of the relative/guide requirements for ram and browns, as I do have a sister that lives there but she doesn't hunt. But I may be able to drag her along in the right circumstances.
                          Thanks.
                          Two things to be aware of. Page 11 of the 2014 hunting regulation booklet, "The guide or relative must have a current Alaska hunting license and must be within 100 yards of the nonresident when the nonresident attempts to take game." Also for some hunts you are required to have an signed guide agreement prior to submitting the drawing application.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kotton View Post
                            Dont agree here?Couple of my most favorite hunts came with my out of stater brother...Don't see any thing wrong here...
                            Read it again... You hunt! And yes the resident acting as a guide must be within 100 yards. Wanna go with hunting with your brother, God Bless, Amen that's what the rule was placed there for. Me taking my multiple times over now step- brothers and sisters, who I have never met?? You hopefully find that as a Loophole that should be closed!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hunttolive View Post
                              Read it again... You hunt! And yes the resident acting as a guide must be within 100 yards. Wanna go with hunting with your brother, God Bless, Amen that's what the rule was placed there for. Me taking my multiple times over now step- brothers and sisters, who I have never met?? You hopefully find that as a Loophole that should be closed!!
                              "many times over steps"?? Just how many times were your parents married? Second degree of kindred is pretty well spelled out at the bottom of page 10 of the regs booklet.
                              There are things in the regs that I find ackward/confusing & just plain dumb, but this isn't one of them.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X