AKSCI Response to Anchorage AC Antlerless Moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
    So the process to have a member who seems to be a real jerk is to nominate myself to serve on the advisory committee, even though I'm not qualified? There has to be a better way.
    Or find someone who is qualified and encourage them to apply. Or show up at the meetings when they are electing new members and vote for those who would be a better fit. The only way to get someone you don't like off the AC is to either let them quit on their own or help someone else take their spot from them when the opportunity arises.

According to the AC website: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...o&ac=anchorage
    Steve Flory's term is up on June of 2015, so the opportunity to get him out of there if he isn't leaving on his own is coming up pretty soon.

The rules for voting are listed here: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...dll/aac/query=[JUMP:'5+aac+96!2E040']/doc/{@1}/hits_only?firsthit

"(3) Each committee member, and each voting-age resident of the area of committee jurisdiction under 5 AAC 97.005 who attends a committee election, may vote on a nomination for membership. Nominees receiving the most votes are elected. Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, a committee need not establish a quorum to elect a new member. The election for a seat specified in 5 AAC 96.021(c) may take place in the community for which the seat is specified. An undesignated seat may be filled at a regularly scheduled committee meeting if a quorum is present. A committee may not refuse membership to a nominee if committee membership is less than the number of members authorized by the joint board.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
      Or find someone who is qualified and encourage them to apply. Or show up at the meetings when they are electing new members and vote for those who would be a better fit. The only way to get someone you don't like off the AC is to either let them quit on their own or help someone else take their spot from them when the opportunity arises.

According to the AC website: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...o&ac=anchorage
      Steve Flory's term is up on June of 2015, so the opportunity to get him out of there if he isn't leaving on his own is coming up pretty soon.

The rules for voting are listed here: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...dll/aac/query=[JUMP:'5+aac+96!2E040']/doc/{@1}/hits_only?firsthit

"(3) Each committee member, and each voting-age resident of the area of committee jurisdiction under 5 AAC 97.005 who attends a committee election, may vote on a nomination for membership. Nominees receiving the most votes are elected. Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, a committee need not establish a quorum to elect a new member. The election for a seat specified in 5 AAC 96.021(c) may take place in the community for which the seat is specified. An undesignated seat may be filled at a regularly scheduled committee meeting if a quorum is present. A committee may not refuse membership to a nominee if committee membership is less than the number of members authorized by the joint board.
      There's at least a hundred dudes on this site that I'd rather have on that committee. Let's get to picking one. Yesterday isn't soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
        So the process to have a member who seems to be a real jerk is to nominate myself to serve on the advisory committee, even though I'm not qualified? There has to be a better way.
        I may have missed it, but what are the qualifications needed...???
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
          I may have missed it, but what are the qualifications needed...???
          There isn't any I guess, just any old Joe schmo can advise on the proper way to manage game .
          Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Don't you at least have to live in the area that the AC covers?

Comment

You do have to be a resident in the area your AC covers to be on the Committee.

I didn't want to go into this before, and yet again ... some are unaware that the issue with Flory is an old one. "We" (the collective we, members of the public and org reps) years ago tried to get the State to change the statutes on who could serve on ACs by banning anyone with a felony conviction, or just banning anyone with a sex-offender conviction. It didn't fly. The numerous complaints on this, that meetings could not be held in schools, that parents would not allow their children to attend any meetings if there was a convicted sex-offender on the Committee (or representing an org as Flory did for years with WSF) ... basically went unheard. WSF spent quite a bit of time changing their own bylaws (as did other orgs) because of this issue, but finally that wasn't enough so they had to revoke the WSF Alaska chapter that Flory was the chair of. Yes, you read that right, he was THE CHAIRMAN.

I'm more of the type willing to forgive, to recognize that we all make mistakes in life, and we can change for the better, but there are just some cases where no matter if a person changed or not, you just don't allow a convicted sex-offender to serve in positions of authority on any board or committee. It spreads too much of an overall taint on the whole thing. It prevents other citizens from taking part in the process. It sends the wrong message overall.
              Mark Richards
              www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Originally posted by bushrat View Post
                I'm more of the type willing to forgive, to recognize that we all make mistakes in life, and we can change for the better, but there are just some cases where no matter if a person changed or not, you just don't allow a convicted sex-offender to serve in positions of authority on any board or committee. It spreads too much of an overall taint on the whole thing. It prevents other citizens from taking part in the process. It sends the wrong message overall.
                You know, Mark, depending on the crime, I can get beyond a persons past. But when a guy consistently persists in being a world class a-hole, even to the point that he puts individuals in fear for their safety during/after a meeting, and people still allow him to remain in such a position, that's when I have to scratch my head in wonder.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I will be going in June to Vote Flory off. I would hope someone smarter than me could post where and when the meeting will be to vote on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Alaska Chapter of SCI is going to keep a tab on the upcoming AC elections. We are also working on getting a questionnaire together for perspective candidates to fill out as part of our endorsement process. We will be sending out messages to our membership outlining the duties and time requirements of an AC member and asking for candidates. Also I will likely post here to get people that are interested outside of the sphere of SCI. We don't want to miss good, deserving candidates just because they aren't SCI members. We would like to get a better voter awareness and candidate recommendation process for future AC elections.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by bushrat View Post
                      You do have to be a resident in the area your AC covers to be on the Committee.

I didn't want to go into this before, and yet again ... some are unaware that the issue with Flory is an old one. "We" (the collective we, members of the public and org reps) years ago tried to get the State to change the statutes on who could serve on ACs by banning anyone with a felony conviction, or just banning anyone with a sex-offender conviction. It didn't fly. The numerous complaints on this, that meetings could not be held in schools, that parents would not allow their children to attend any meetings if there was a convicted sex-offender on the Committee (or representing an org as Flory did for years with WSF) ... basically went unheard. WSF spent quite a bit of time changing their own bylaws (as did other orgs) because of this issue, but finally that wasn't enough so they had to revoke the WSF Alaska chapter that Flory was the chair of. Yes, you read that right, he was THE CHAIRMAN.

W T F was the state thinking by not passing this??? I'm speechless. Unbelievable. Get this scumbag outta there
                      Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                        I'm curious as to how this individual got a spot on the AC to begin with, and why there isn't a more thorough vetting of potential members....?
                        Flory got the spot because the Anchorage AC committee...not the public....voted him onto the committee.

The Anchorage AC elected Flory to fill the vacancy with full knowledge of Florey's past.

The historical facts are that most of the committee who elected Flory to the position Flory now holds on the committee had plenty of history with Flory and in fact once nominated and then voted Flory to the position of Chairman of the Anchorage AC.

As interesting as all the history; experience and knowledge, the current AC committee has with Flory it was under Florey's leadership as past Chair of the Anchorage AC that Flory led the committee's charge to have two A/C committee members removed from the committee.

So the real question here might be something like...why won't the current Anchorage A/C and it's Chairman take it upon itself to clean up it's own mess now?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X