Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Rifles in Alaska?

Gents:
    Do any of you hunt with double rifles here in Alaska? Vintage or modern? Calibers?
    Doubles are my passion and I have been shooting them exclusively for 20+ years. I've taken them overseas on 14 trips and now shoot my yearly caribou with a .450-400 and my moose this year was taken with an old .600 nitro express.
    The double rifle group has yearly shoots in the warm temps and any and all are invited.
    Just curious.
    Cal

Hey Cal. I used my 450-400 Alex Henry hammer gun on a black bear hunt. About it as most of my hunts are too tough to take a $5000 rifle on.

Comment

Vince Baldhauff w/ Precision Arms is a Krieghoff distributor for up here. He's fun to talk to about doubles. It's just the sad truth that no one makes a double that isn't a "luxury" rifle, although they would be awesome in a lot of circumstances. If they would make a stainless 375 H&H double with a synthetic stock for $2000 or less, I would buy two.
      Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

I don't shoot a double rifle, but just wanted to say hello to my favorite high school social studies teacher. Hope you are doing well Mr. Pappas!!

Comment

I've shot doubles in the past (friend's rifle) and know a couple guides who use one. But I just wanted to jump in here and say hi, Cal.

Was a pleasure to meet you this past fall when I was working at Happy Valley. Congrats on your successful caribou hunt! Glad I could help get all the meat and antlers in your rig for the trip back. And that we could pull you guys out early. Not very often we get a call in the morning for an early pickup and we can get you the same day.

Also want to thank you for the tip your group left, appreciate it.

Best,

Mark Richards
          www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

I grew up shooting old side by side shotguns. I would love to one day have a double rifle that handled as well as one of them, but a modern working mans tool rather than a safe queen. Granted, if you like the rifle you will use it and take care of it no matter the conditions.

Comment

Baikal (Russian made). Make's several double rifles if anybody is interested. I own a 12 gauge / .30-06 over under I really like. They make several different rifles. I bought mine from Gator Guns in Kenai. They are a work gun for sure don't remember exactly what I paid but if memory serves like $800 give or take. I think to treat it as a "safe queen" it might make all your vodka disappear. They also make a .410 top / with a option of .22lr, .22wmr, or .17hmr for the bottom. I am looking at buying the first one of these I find. http://imzcorp.com is the website.

Comment

Originally posted by AKElectrician View Post
                Baikal (Russian made). Make's several double rifles if anybody is interested. I own a 12 gauge / .30-06 over under I really like.
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all, what they call "double guns" like the op is referring to , are side by sides...???
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Searcy made about a dozen stainless steel double rifles several years ago, I believe he said they were all 375H&H. I'd like to find one of them, Searcy said he'd lost track of them.
                  A few years ago I asked a sales woman at the Krieghoff booth in Reno if they'd build a stainless double rifle. It was pretty funny seeing the snobbish look of disgust on her face as she looked down her bony nose at me and informed me in no uncertain terms that Krieghoff would never build a stainless rifle. I smiled and replied that would most likely never be purchasing a Krieghoff in that case.

Comment

or 45-70

Originally posted by highestview View Post
                    Vince Baldhauff w/ Precision Arms is a Krieghoff distributor for up here. He's fun to talk to about doubles. It's just the sad truth that no one makes a double that isn't a "luxury" rifle, although they would be awesome in a lot of circumstances. If they would make a stainless 375 H&H double with a synthetic stock for $2000 or less, I would buy two.
                    would be a kick *****

Comment

I would have been using them for many years if they did not cost so **** much, so **** absurdly much...

Comment

I don't use one and have never fired one, but I would like to. If I had one I would probably carry it with rounds in the chambers. But, don't tell any one!

Comment

Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
                          If I had one I would probably carry it with rounds in the chambers.
                          If you do then you da*n sure better make sure the breech is open...!!!.........lol
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sh View Post
                            would be a kick *****
                            Recoil from the puny 375 H&H doesn't bug me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by AKElectrician View Post
                              Baikal (Russian made). Make's several double rifles if anybody is interested. I own a 12 gauge / .30-06 over under I really like. They make several different rifles. I bought mine from Gator Guns in Kenai. They are a work gun for sure don't remember exactly what I paid but if memory serves like $800 give or take. I think to treat it as a "safe queen" it might make all your vodka disappear. They also make a .410 top / with a option of .22lr, .22wmr, or .17hmr for the bottom. I am looking at buying the first one of these I find. http://imzcorp.com is the website.
                              He had what I believe was a Baikal with two barrels chambered in .45-70 at one time, I really wanted that gun but couldn't afford it. I dot recall if it was o/u or sxs. Seems it was right around the $800 mark too.

It is surprising no one has made a working mans version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X