How wide is this moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wide is this moose?

I have been hunting in Alaska for 6yrs now and this is my 2nd year moose hunting and still a NEWBIE. i came across a few good bulls that are close to 50" and a few that were under 50" with 3 brow tines(my area is 4 brow tines). This one here had my adrenaline rushing LOL.... what do u guys think? i let him go this year and hopefully he will be legal by next year. i have a video of it that shows its only 2 brow tines.

Maybe one more year for sure on him. He looks to be around 45-47 to me.

Comment

I agree. 48"-49"... Don't ya just hate that!?
      I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Comment

Originally posted by akiceman25 View Post
        I agree. 48"-49"... Don't ya just hate that!?
        we did manage to get this guy tho the next day.

Comment

Lays out very nice and may very well be 50 but not an impressive rack. I think i would have done same thing and let him walk. Hopefully by next year he will be the kind of bull you can notice first glance hes 50 plus.

Comment

I have a 46 and a 52 on the wall in front of me. That bull is wider than either of them. Lays out really nice although smallish palms. I say at least 54 and maybe a little more.

Comment

Id want a better look but from what I can see his horns are a bit lop sided if his right side matched his left I'd put him at about 47 but since he has that sticker out the side of his left side that gives him an extra 2 or 3 inches and from this pic it looks like his right side lays out farther that'll definitely put him over 50. If this picture shows him like I'm seeing him I'd put this bull at 54".

Comment

Originally posted by pony559 View Post
                we did manage to get this guy tho the next day.

More info on the yota. SAS, crawl box, siped boggers, high steer, 63" chevies? and is that a viewing platform in the bed?

Comment

I made a graph using his eyeball to eyeball measurement of 10". Doing that, he comes out at 52"
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

boom. Not a second of hesitation.
                    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

If I was guiding a hunter in a 50" area, I would pass on this moose. The palms are nice and thick, and the main beams look great as far as diameter, but he is just too close to take a chance on width. Judging by the overall configuration, including the palm thickness and such, this looks like a younger bull with great potential to become a real trophy in about three more years. See the slight sag in his main beams? That's from the weight of his palms during their development. You'll see even more sag in a couple of years, which will splay his palms out more and give him even more width. Nice bull, just not yet.

-Mike
                      Michael Strahan
                      Site Owner
                      Alaska Hunt Consultant
                      1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Very close. Too close to call. 48"-53" is what I would guess. You made a good call. When in doubt, don't shoot.

Comment

He's a peanut under 50''
                          sigpic
                          Sweepint
                          Wasilla,
                          '' Livn' The Dream ''
                          26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

AK Ray its a 84 regular cab long bed chopped off and mated to another regular cab. bed was bobbed front and rear, full trail-gear 5" lift kit front and rear. the roof rack was built for carrying extra stuff and definitely for scoping out them moose LOL. transmission is dual transfer case stock 2.28 gears up front and 4.70 low gear on the rear case. crawl ratio is over 200:1. super snail speed... 38.5 boggers that i siped with a big chisel. i just heated it up with a torch and it easily cuts them.

Comment

Cool rig pony

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X