Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sentences handed out in wanton waste case

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sentences handed out in wanton waste case

    http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/coast-...-case/29840578

    Knowing the source, there is likely more to the story. Interesting to see if the ducks had been breasted out, and most of the meat removed from the deer. If it happened like reported, 5 cases of wanton waste received an extremely lenient sentence!

  • #2
    No more than a slap on the wrist for these guys. What a joke! Deer meat is some of the best out there and I would love to have some right now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
      If it happened like reported, 5 cases of wanton waste received an extremely lenient sentence!
      Original story: http://juneauempire.com/local/2014-1...e#.VG-BRoeFWM4

      Followup story: http://juneauempire.com/local/2014-1...s#.VG-Ax4eFWM6

      Originally posted by Matt View Post
      No more than a slap on the wrist for these guys.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

      Comment


      • #4
        And they where/are Officers to boot?


        The DA dropped the ball on this one, big time. The investigating Troopers recommended criminal charges, and instead the DA opted for the lesser violations....And fined them a paltry sum. Top that off with the CG likely not pursuing anything more than a stern lecture....

        ....And these guys are charged with patrolling our waters and protecting US???


        "We didn't know the law" was their defense.....Nice precedent, officers.
        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

        Comment


        • #5
          As for those guys knowing, or not knowing our game regulations...Is there ANY State that allows wanton waste? I doubt it.

          Comment


          • #6
            And the list just grows and grows.


            #TundraTrucks
            “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
            "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
              And the list just grows and grows.


              #TundraTrucks
              #cultureofdisrespect
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                #cultureofdisrespect

                #entitlement
                “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Typical. So these guys knew enough about the rules that they needed to buy NR licenses and tags but they didn't know it's illegal to kill a deer only to cut off it's antlers and throw the carcass by the side of the road?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                    Typical. So these guys knew enough about the rules that they needed to buy NR licenses and tags but they didn't know it's illegal to kill a deer only to cut off it's antlers and throw the carcass by the side of the road?
                    ...And we pay their salaries......
                    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Those are super low sanctions for those offenses. Usually there would at least be restitution to the state (set by schedule), possible forfeiture of weapons, loss of hunting and/or fishing privileges for an amount of time. I wonder if the reporter didn't grasp the full sentence or if they really were that low.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                        ...And we pay their salaries......
                        Roger. It's too bad that their bosses wont take steps to rectify that!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey guys, I'm a huge advocate for meat care and consider myself sensitive to potential hunter violations concerning salvage and preservation. That said, I would consider the terminology the report uses to clarify the charges filed against these two soldiers.

                          The differences between "failure to salvage" and "wanton waste" are pretty significant, although many people use the term wanton waste more often to mean both violations...they're not the same, nor do they carry the same legal weight in retribution or conviction.

                          Failure to Salvage Edible Meat is the lessor of the two violations. It means that the hunters attempted to salvage the meat but left enough behind to warrant a legal penalty, which is subjective and handled differently depending on the citing officer. I've seen Failure to Salvage citations handed out to hunters who left 3-5% of edible meat on a moose carcass (20-30 lbs respectively), and some cases involve much more than 5% potential yield from a big game animal.

                          Wanton Waste is more egregious by law. Cases where hunters are cited for wanton waste typically involve hunters obviously having no intentions of salvaging meat of the big game animal (such as taking the horns and leaving the animal to waste). Alaska court systems usually hand out stiff penalties for wanton waste violations, whereas failure to salvage edible meat citations may often seem like a slap on the wrist to sensitive observers like many of us.

                          Just thought I'd throw that out there for curious hunters. I wouldn't bash these soldiers and suggest that they aren't fit for duty. Oftentimes Failure to Salvage can be corrected through better education, and mild retribution might turn around future field behavior. People who commit Wanton Waste are just focused on trophy parts or shooting ops, and these hunters should be treated more stiffly than others.

                          larry
                          https://pristineventures.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                            And they where/are Officers to boot?


                            The DA dropped the ball on this one, big time. The investigating Troopers recommended criminal charges, and instead the DA opted for the lesser violations....And fined them a paltry sum. Top that off with the CG likely not pursuing anything more than a stern lecture....

                            ....And these guys are charged with patrolling our waters and protecting US???


                            "We didn't know the law" was their defense.....Nice precedent, officers.
                            No, not officers, but somewhat junior enlisted. A petty officer second class is an E-5, I'm sure the CG will have thier way with them now that the case is over in civilian courts.
                            The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
                              Hey guys, I'm a huge advocate for meat care and consider myself sensitive to potential hunter violations concerning salvage and preservation. That said, I would consider the terminology the report uses to clarify the charges filed against these two soldiers.

                              The differences between "failure to salvage" and "wanton waste" are pretty significant, although many people use the term wanton waste more often to mean both violations...they're not the same, nor do they carry the same legal weight in retribution or conviction.

                              Failure to Salvage Edible Meat is the lessor of the two violations. It means that the hunters attempted to salvage the meat but left enough behind to warrant a legal penalty, which is subjective and handled differently depending on the citing officer. I've seen Failure to Salvage citations handed out to hunters who left 3-5% of edible meat on a moose carcass (20-30 lbs respectively), and some cases involve much more than 5% potential yield from a big game animal.

                              Wanton Waste is more egregious by law. Cases where hunters are cited for wanton waste typically involve hunters obviously having no intentions of salvaging meat of the big game animal (such as taking the horns and leaving the animal to waste). Alaska court systems usually hand out stiff penalties for wanton waste violations, whereas failure to salvage edible meat citations may often seem like a slap on the wrist to sensitive observers like many of us.

                              Just thought I'd throw that out there for curious hunters. I wouldn't bash these soldiers and suggest that they aren't fit for duty. Oftentimes Failure to Salvage can be corrected through better education, and mild retribution might turn around future field behavior. People who commit Wanton Waste are just focused on trophy parts or shooting ops, and these hunters should be treated more stiffly than others.

                              larry
                              By all accounts it sounds like the crime actually warranted a charge of "wanton waste". They were however only originally charged with "failure to salvage". That lesser charge was then knocked down to a slap on the wrist because the DA "didn't want to saddle them" with a criminal history. Clearly, they received preferential treatment.
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X