HUNTING Accuracy................What is, "GOOD ENOUGH"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUNTING Accuracy................What is, "GOOD ENOUGH"

How tight of a group does your hunting firearm (Pistol or Rifle) need to group to be "Good'Enough".........??? This thread is NOT about target shooting, It is NOT about driving TACKS (a job better done with a Tack Hammer), It is NOT about YOUR "Bla-Bla-Bla" wonder firearm complete with an essay about the trigger, optic, bedding, etc..

This thread asks........only ONE Question, "How tight of a group is GOOD'ENOUGH" that is it. We are talking about Alaska, and we are talking about big game (Maybe to include a wolf). But mostly bigger size Alaska animals.

For me.........I quit at about 1.5 MOA, and proclaim "That is Good Enough". And if the best that a non-optically enhanced firearm will deliver for me (I am NOT a great shot) is 3 MOA ......well that is also good enough for big game out to 250 yards with open sights. Even on a wolf.

So what do you think is "Good Enough" for your needs........????
    ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Kind of a loaded question in sorts. It depends on the distance and what animal to say exactly and it would vary to each. However I think when it boils down to it for myself its about ethics. If I'm sighted in at 100yds and have a 4 MOA then I'd say i would still feel comfortable enough to shoot a moose at that distance but not at 500yds. I try and do the best I can do at the range and put in the range time as much as possible to be proficient. Then knowing how well of a shot I am and how far I've practiced will determine what when and if I shoot.

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    How tight of a group does your hunting firearm (Pistol or Rifle) need to group to be "Good'Enough".........??? This thread is NOT about target shooting, It is NOT about driving TACKS (a job better done with a Tack Hammer), It is NOT about YOUR "Bla-Bla-Bla" wonder firearm complete with an essay about the trigger, optic, bedding, etc..

This thread asks........only ONE Question, "How tight of a group is GOOD'ENOUGH" that is it. We are talking about Alaska, and we are talking about big game (Maybe to include a wolf). But mostly bigger size Alaska animals.

For me.........I quit at about 1.5 MOA, and proclaim "That is Good Enough". And if the best that a non-optically enhanced firearm will deliver for me (I am NOT a great shot) is 3 MOA ......well that is also good enough for big game out to 250 yards with open sights. Even on a wolf.

So what do you think is "Good Enough" for your needs........????

Comment

Up to 2" at 100 yds "good enuf" for my moose/caribou bangers. My shot distance never go beyond that range. Up close and personal is which I prefer. I walk onto moose when I punch thru the brush when checking meadows most of the time there under 100 yds. If not, work my way closer.

Comment

HUNTING Accuracy................What is, "GOOD ENOUGH"

If I'm able to hit the spot I'm aiming for, at the distance I'm shooting from, that's good enough.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Paper plate at the max range I'll shoot with the gun I'm using.
          Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Can be kind of subjective...but I do believe we get entirely wrapped around the axle on the subject of accuracy (I'm guilty too).

A rifle that'll shoot 3" is good enough for most AK shooting. Lots of talk among the diehard brethren about knocking off critters in the next zip code but I'd wager a lot more are taken under a hundred than over two hundred and a 3MOA rifle is good to at least that far.

I've got a very old Marlin lever gun that shoots 6MOA on a good day and it has killed more deer than most folks will ever see. Of course in TN, most deer were killed in ranges measured in feet rather than yards... I guess you could say it is "good enough", at least for there.
            "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Theres the gun, the ammo and the shooter.

Get all three top notch and you have it lick'd, I had that with my M-39.

Running across open tundra or creeping through triple canopy SE coastal forest is much different than shooting down hill from a mountain ridge, so the variables in environment abound.

Basic Hunting ethics like finishing what you start , no matter how far or long away they get, to getting as close as you can are right up there with riflemanship in overall hunting

Then it boils down to placement, and unless the animal is as till as a target board and your shooting from a bench on the tundra, 4- 5 inches at 200 yards is pretty realistic. Fur is a larger target, theres no meat to save, and straight up the pooper is a "Perfect shot" and what happens to the guts dont matter
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

It's all going to depend on what you're hunting and the distance you shoot.
                Personally, given that a 300 Yard shot is considered a reasonably close shot in these parts, and the game animal is often the size of a German Shepard, I opt for the most accurate load I can develop. I don't keep anything that isn't sub MOA.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

I generally sight in before a hunt by placing 3 clay pigeons out at 100 yds. If I can bust them with a single shot to each one, I call it good.
                  “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                  "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

I like a pie plate size group at whatever range you are shooting at.

Comment

The Original Post clearly stated "ALASKA" and Alaskan BIG Game. NOT Arizona.

Originally posted by AZVince View Post
                      It's all going to depend on what you're hunting and the distance you shoot.
                      Personally, given that a 300 Yard shot is considered a reasonably close shot in these parts, and the game animal is often the size of a German Shepard, I opt for the most accurate load I can develop. I don't keep anything that isn't sub MOA.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Exactly io!!!! I mean AGL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

That may be but I'd venture that long shots are even possible in Alaska, even if not as common, and besides I prefer accuracy.

Comment

2" groups at 200 yards for me, with the .375.

-Mike
                            Michael Strahan
                            Site Owner
                            Alaska Hunt Consultant
                            1 (406) 662-1791

Comment

Originally posted by AZVince View Post
                              That may be but I'd venture that long shots are even possible in Alaska, even if not as common, and besides I prefer accuracy.

Most of the good long-distance shooters I know up here don't talk about it much. And I would be careful trying to make too many generalizations about shooting distances in Alaska. We've got critters bigger than horses and smaller than dogs here, and the terrain / vegetation is more varied than anything you'll find in the southland.

-Mike
                              Michael Strahan
                              Site Owner
                              Alaska Hunt Consultant
                              1 (406) 662-1791

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X