Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather strandings at Kodiak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weather strandings at Kodiak

    No flights in and no flights out many drop camps over due for pick up.
    Nothing new here and again us locals are called upon to check the safety and welfare of camps over due for pickup.

    I do it with a smile and no charge but its sometimes a little irritating to see how unprepared for schedule delays some people are.

    Its not your flight services fault if they can`t fly.
    The best advice I can offer for a drop camp is bring either or all, sat phone, inreach, handheld marine vhf radio or stay home.

  • #2
    Originally posted by anonymous1 View Post
    The best advice I can offer for a drop camp is bring either or all, sat phone, inreach, handheld marine vhf radio or stay home.
    Along with extra fuel, a 10# bag of rice or pasta and a couple of really good books! Trouble with being weathered in, you have to have camp ready to break the moment you hear an airplane, and you can't wander away. Be there ready to go, or be left until next time the charter has a hole in their schedule. Meanwhile, make that food and fuel last.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

    Comment


    • #3
      Nothing easy about the wait for a flight when the weather is uncertain for days on end. But the wait is a lot easier if you aren't looking at your supplies and thinking you may run out of food.
      14 Days to Alaska
      Also available on Kindle and Nook

      Comment


      • #4
        Let's not forget folks, we may "feel" a bit hungry, but we are far from starving or even a serious problem due to lack of food for a few days. As long as we have water and shelter/warmth we can get by for a pretty long time.

        Don't know if any of you have ever fasted, but after the first day it's not that difficult to go a few more. Fasting is actually very good for the body and gives the digestive tract a break.

        Besides, there are probably more than a few of us here that can stand to loose a few pounds......lol
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Bad weather in November on Kodiak,, that never happens. All the above and a back up tent, some fireball helps too,,, I mean firewood.

          Always interesting hearing stories from Roland.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcs...IOuU_8TVDhD0_Q
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

          Comment


          • #6
            I do a three day fast every Fall..typically a month or two after I get back from fishing and have proceeded to eat everything in sight.

            And yea.. I think a lot of "hunger" is a desire to balance the acidic condition we put our stomachs in from a diet filled with sugar and carbs..

            After the first day I feel much better, and typically wake up not hungry... after three days I go back on moose meat and veggies..then slip back into

            eating everything in sight. I do love to eat.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post

              And yea.. I think a lot of "hunger" is a desire to balance the acidic condition we put our stomachs in from a diet filled with sugar and carbs..
              Exactly...... In this day in age our bodies are just accustom to having full bellies all the time, especially with stuff that isn't very good for them. I think most of us love to eat, I know I do, but the fact is that our digestive tracts weren't designed to be working 24/7. I believe this plays a big part in why there are so many serious gastrointestinal illnesses in our country today.....it needs a break! I know I'm not being nice, but I have to laugh when I hear overweight people say "I'm starving!" when they haven't had anything to snack on for a few hours......much less a few days. Their bodies could live off their own fat for weeks...!!!

              When I was younger I climbed the highest mountain I've ever climbed on my second day of fasting and came down on my third. Again, the first day is the toughest, but after that you can actually feel more energy on your second or third. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not eating for a day or two like most people think it is....

              Ooops.......sorry once again for the hijack....(before the "relevance" cop comes to remind me)
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                We have a guy on Afognak that's been weathered in since Wednesday. I stopped by while I was deer hunting today and asked if he needed some food. He didn't. Turns out he's a guide for bear and moose. He's seen this before.
                We had some bear hunters a couple bays over from us the first week in November. They brought enough fuel for two weeks just in case. They shot a couple deer, a bear and some ducks so they were set for food. They'd also been weathered in before.
                The insurance of bringing extra fuel, food, radios and a sat phone in far-off Alaska is worth their weight when you get weathered in. I can't wait to hear all the sob stories from some of the stranded hunter. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for them but dang, this ain't a place to take chances.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is the time to break out for the team that extra stash of peanut butter, jerky, coffee and single malt scotch you didn't tell them about ... Also that Iridium Satphone

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                    Exactly...... In this day in age our bodies are just accustom to having full bellies all the time, especially with stuff that isn't very good for them. I think most of us love to eat, I know I do, but the fact is that our digestive tracts weren't designed to be working 24/7. I believe this plays a big part in why there are so many serious gastrointestinal illnesses in our country today.....it needs a break! I know I'm not being nice, but I have to laugh when I hear overweight people say "I'm starving!" when they haven't had anything to snack on for a few hours......much less a few days. Their bodies could live off their own fat for weeks...!!!

                    When I was younger I climbed the highest mountain I've ever climbed on my second day of fasting and came down on my third. Again, the first day is the toughest, but after that you can actually feel more energy on your second or third. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not eating for a day or two like most people think it is....

                    Ooops.......sorry once again for the hijack....(before the "relevance" cop comes to remind me)

                    well, this conversation IS relevant.

                    This Fall after I downed my moose, and after swearing since I was alone and 45 miles and three portages from the take out and I had to move slowly and not do anything stupid, I did something stupid and sliced my knee open..I know, stupid.. all the way to the patella tendon.

                    I neosporined it, and super glued it shut and the next day after getting the moose back to camp started paddling..

                    I paddled for three days straight non stop.. with three portages. getting up at 4 am and going until near dark.. for reasons other than I had no time to cook, or eat really.. I ate almost nothing for three days... I wasn't hungry.. and I was burning plenty of calories I am sure..

                    It's good to know how capable we are of going without food for a while... we need plenty of water.. food we can do without(and like you said, the body needs a digestion break).. one of the things the body does when you stop eating also is heal itself... I'm convinced you can cure a lot of what ails you by slowing the food intake for a while.... knee amazingly never got infected.. and healed quickly.. and I finished gutting and processing the moose after I cut the knee.. so lots of exposure to bacteria.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
                      well, this conversation IS relevant.

                      This Fall after I downed my moose, and after swearing since I was alone and 45 miles and three portages from the take out and I had to move slowly and not do anything stupid, I did something stupid and sliced my knee open..I know, stupid.. all the way to the patella tendon.

                      I neosporined it, and super glued it shut and the next day after getting the moose back to camp started paddling..

                      I paddled for three days straight non stop.. with three portages. getting up at 4 am and going until near dark.. for reasons other than I had no time to cook, or eat really.. I ate almost nothing for three days... I wasn't hungry.. and I was burning plenty of calories I am sure..

                      It's good to know how capable we are of going without food for a while... we need plenty of water.. food we can do without(and like you said, the body needs a digestion break).. one of the things the body does when you stop eating also is heal itself... I'm convinced you can cure a lot of what ails you by slowing the food intake for a while.... knee amazingly never got infected.. and healed quickly.. and I finished gutting and processing the moose after I cut the knee.. so lots of exposure to bacteria.
                      Glad your knee recovered nicely. A agree completely with all you have said. In nature, when something happens to an animal, weather injury or sickness, they will fast till they either die or recover from whatever it was that caused them to suffer. Fasting is healing to the body.

                      I used to hunt sheep with a high school buddy of mine. When we would get going it seemed that he would always want to stop to eat something. Where I wouldn't feel like eating anything at all. To me it was more like working out at the gym.....the last thing I feel like is eating right in the middle of the workout. I also found out early that I don't eat much while hunting either.

                      Was your moose hunt here on the Kenai? Pm me if ya want......
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by anonymous1 View Post
                        No flights in and no flights out many drop camps over due for pick up.
                        Nothing new here and again us locals are called upon to check the safety and welfare of camps over due for pickup.

                        I do it with a smile and no charge but its sometimes a little irritating to see how unprepared for schedule delays some people are.

                        Its not your flight services fault if they can`t fly.
                        The best advice I can offer for a drop camp is bring either or all, sat phone, inreach, handheld marine vhf radio or stay home.
                        Thankfully one WX mess I did not find myself in this season. How would anyone in their right mind travel into bush Alaska without a sat phone is beyond me.
                        Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tdelarm View Post
                          Thankfully one WX mess I did not find myself in this season. How would anyone in their right mind travel into bush Alaska without a sat phone is beyond me.
                          I'm not going to say they wouldn't be handy, but I've never had one and at this time really don't intend to.....

                          But I guess I'm not in my "right mind" as you would say......lol
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tdelarm View Post
                            Thankfully one WX mess I did not find myself in this season. How would anyone in their right mind travel into bush Alaska without a sat phone is beyond me.
                            Sat phone??? Obviously you must have been born in the age of cell phones.
                            How in the world did folks in Alaska go hunting pre-technology?
                            I can't believe how 'dependent' the world is on gadgets. No more self reliance.
                            Guess my days of communication by smoke signals will be over soon.
                            Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                            WWG1WGA! QANON

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cod again.
                              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X