Hunting blacktails in sitka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting blacktails in sitka

I just found out that I am going to be able to get thanksgiving week off! So I am planning a quick trip to Sitka for blacktails. I have been looking at maps and talking to people for quite a while as a hunt I would like to do some time. I am going to make the time now. Does anyone have any advice as to which deer call to use or special gear to bring. I have done a lot of hunting and hiking around Alaska but never southeast. Should be fun. Thanks

I have tried the Primos Long Can a few times and it didn't have them charging in but it seemed like it got their attention. Simple to use and pack.

Comment

It's been super rainy! Grundens, tuffs & tarp. =)

Comment

Originally posted by jubilation View Post
        It's been super rainy! Grundens, tuffs & tarp. =)
        Maybe a week ago, but the weather lately has been amazing! Been sunny for almost a week, with a great forecast ahead.

As far as deer calls, a doe/fawn bleat call will be your most productive call here during the rut. Don't bother with grunts are antler rattling unless you're doing it for the novelty.

Comment

Going out the next couple days--not doing any calling but will let you know what we see!

Comment

Thanks that would be great. I am getting excited and makes work seem much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by rntim View Post
              Going out the next couple days--not doing any calling but will let you know what we see!
              Why not? Perfect time to be blowing the call. Buddies have been calling in plenty of does/webs/forkys. I called in 3 last Saturday. Nothing too big to talk about this year yet. My buddy and I went hunting 2 weeks ago and he shot a 3x3 with double eye guards...that one wasn't called in though.

Comment

called in a couple on admiralty......it is definitley on. Got a nice fork trailing a doe.

Comment

Having never been to Sitka and knowing nearly nothing about it, other than it looks beautiful, do you guys have to travel very far to get into some good hunting, or can a person do ok not far from town?

Just curious.....
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Hunted the south end of Admiralty end of oct for a week. Rut wasn't going on yet and we didn't have a single deer come to the calls. Slowly walking and glassing got us 4 bucks.

Comment

Hunted Sitka 3 times. All great hunts. Fawn bleat from Sportsmans , bring two pair of rain gear. I hope your staying in a forest cabin with good heat or on a boat. I prefer the ones with wood stoves. I wouldn't even consider a tent hunt for deer out of Sitka. I usually fly about 30 minutes out of town with Harris Air.

Comment

Don't rule out tents if you have a wall tent. Just finished a four day trip on admiralty with an 8x10 and a good wood stove. Was able to keep two little kids and three big kids dry and warmed up. Sleep in personal tents with tarp stretched over, separate cook tarp, use wall tent for warming up, eating dinner, playing cards, drying clothes. As close to home as you're gonna get without four hard walls. Duraflame logs are must.

Comment

Went out last Wednesday for the day with a friend... Have a moose in the freezers so we were just looking for something special but most of all to enjoy the weather. Had four does come to the call ( two in a hurry and two sneakers). Later in the morning had a fork with eyeguards sneak into thirty yards and we enjoyed watching him stare at the dog wondering what it was. Shortly afterward in a nearby muskeg had a 3-4 year old brown bear come in....spooked it off and continued calling which brought a doe and a webhead. Great weather to be outdoors!

Tips for Sitka area:

-bring rainwear!
                          -unless you are going to alpine, leave binos/ rangefinder/ spotting scopes in the boat. Most shots are way under 100 yards and the animals are well within naked eye range. Minimize weight carried.
                          - avoid unthinned clearcut. There is nothing for them to eat in there as the canopy is choked out. Plus, you don't want to end up in there lol!
                          - most hunters are cruising the beach. Super boring. Get boots on the ground and move through the terrain, stopping occasionally to blow the call.
                          - be bear aware. This isn't kodiak where the shot means dinner but they are around. This year the salmon runs were NOT strong in the local watersheds and the current bear activity shows it. Don't be paranoid, just aware.
                          - They live literally everywhere around here and in great density so just have fun and be safe!

Photo is from last year as we didn't get any moose we were hungry!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcod View Post
                            Photo is from last year as we didn't get any moose we were hungry!
                            A classic whack 'em 'n stack 'n photo . . . I never get invited on one of those buck fests. :upset:

Comment

So what is the norm daily routine for deer hunting this time of year. We are heading to Kodiak with the kiddos in a week and we are going in blind. I am assuming it is important to be in the field right before daylight and also right before dark? I am reading on here where most huntiers move real slow and also long periods of being stationary and just using your eyes? So how do you use and how often on the doe/fawn bleat? Thanks!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X