Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tustumena lake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tustumena lake

    How has moose hunting been on Tustumena Lake these past couple of years?

  • #2
    Always a few killed, but in general.........not really worth beans......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
      Always a few killed, but not really worth beans......
      I would agree with that.

      The group I know who does ok up there hunts it every year with a packstring of horses and may spend over 2 weeks straight up there hunting hard.
      They know the area as good or better than almost anyone.
      I don't know if I would venture too far in up there without horses to pack one out.
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

      "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

      Comment


      • #4
        It's been crap for the last 10+ years. And the fire this year ruined some of the best hunting grounds. So now it's even crappier.
        Winter is Coming...

        Go GeocacheAlaska!

        Comment


        • #5
          I would think the fire would make it better with the lush regrowth that usually takes place in the years following fires!

          Comment


          • #6
            Highest concentration of brown bear on kp, plus highest concentration of wolves on kp, plus mature forest equals an awfully depressed moose population. Im worried. I hope recent burn can bring them back but im not confident in that alone.

            Ive talked to different groups of hunters up there the last couple of years and just seeing one bull on the hoof is lucky (better pray hes legal, prolly be the only one you see). One group didnt even see a moose riding horses around.

            Comment


            • #7
              The fire will improve moose habitat. Give it 5-15 years or so though depending on aspect and intensity.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
                One group didnt even see a moose riding horses around.
                I wouldn't get too worried if they didn't see one for a year or two. Heck, in over 30 years of going on hunting trips up here I have yet to ever see a single moose riding a horse around.....

                Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  LMAO @ "the fire will make it better ... just wait 15 years"

                  Whatever.
                  Winter is Coming...

                  Go GeocacheAlaska!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                    I wouldn't get too worried if they didn't see one for a year or two. Heck, in over 30 years of going on hunting trips up here I have yet to ever see a single moose riding a horse around.....

                    Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.
                    Not on horses, but I saw a moose flying over Tustumena.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well the trophy moose area behind t lake was pretty much done in due to factors mentioned in previous posts. However four or more succesive fires in the area should restore the moose population within a few years. This summers fire burned from the summer range up high all the way to the winter range down low. Together with increased bear harvest this area may rebound.
                      I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sollybug View Post
                        Well the trophy moose area behind t lake was pretty much done in due to factors mentioned in previous posts. However four or more succesive fires in the area should restore the moose population within a few years. This summers fire burned from the summer range up high all the way to the winter range down low. Together with increased bear harvest this area may rebound.
                        Personally I don't know if the op was referring to the trophy (permit) area or just the Tustumena area itself. As far as the "trophy" area goes, from what I hear from local hard hunters, it has been over-run by bears for a number of years now. Another good couple of years of bear killin' and that "may" help.

                        The fire was a Godsend.....imo. No matter how you look at it, in the long run fires make incredible habitat.....15c is doing the best because of it. I will try to remain positive that things will turn around.....hopefully the sooner the better.

                        The south side of Tusty can still have some some good bulls. It's thick in a lot of areas and hard to hunt, but there are good bulls in there and access can be hard. If a guy is lucky enough to fly it first and spot some bulls not too far from the lake he may be successful. But, be advised. because of the recent fires the the burnt up beetle killed downfall is horrendous. Packing out a moose from this area can be brutal....
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          plenty of moose, access is the problem.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by t-storm View Post
                            plenty of moose, access is the problem.
                            I don't know if I'd go as far as to say........"plenty"..........lol
                            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JOAT View Post
                              LMAO @ "the fire will make it better ... just wait 15 years"

                              Whatever.
                              Why is that?


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X