Stealing my moose back from the Griz (long and pic heavy)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tlingitwarrior
    replied
    Thanks for all the positive words and compliments.

Two answer a question, no we did not have a chance to harvest the bear.

As far as the comments on bears and doing what can be done to deter them, every scenario is different. For 30+ years we have never lost meat to a bear in this country, but we've had bears come in and bury gut piles within 24 hours and on other hunts piles have been left alone for a week. As far as marking meat, its my belief that if a bear wants your stuff, he's going to take it. An aggressive or hungry or sick bear is going to great lengths for a free and easy meal. We do what we can to get meat to a "safe place", but this risk is always present when hunting.

In my write-up I was remiss in not profusely thanking my fellow hunting partner and fellow forum member. What a great guy to hunt and spend time in the woods with. Look forwards to hunting with you again next year and getting you on one of them big bulls.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Originally posted by anchskier View Post
    Yep, same here. We do that even if we are only leaving long enough to haul out the first load and be back within an hour. If leaving overnight, we drape things like sweaty clothes (undershirts, etc...) over the game bags or carcass. In one instance I know of, my dad and a friend both had moose within 50 feet of each other. My dad "marked" his and left sweaty clothes behind, the friend did not. The next morning, the bear prints went right past my dad's moose and right to the other one where it drug off part of it (recovered later).
    I started doing this because it is exactly what the bear does with it's kill to deter other scavengers.

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I have left meat in the field over night several times. Every time I have had to leave it, I 'mark' around it (not too close) just like a bear would do. The only time I had any messed with, I didn't do this. Perhaps it works.
    Yep, same here. We do that even if we are only leaving long enough to haul out the first load and be back within an hour. If leaving overnight, we drape things like sweaty clothes (undershirts, etc...) over the game bags or carcass. In one instance I know of, my dad and a friend both had moose within 50 feet of each other. My dad "marked" his and left sweaty clothes behind, the friend did not. The next morning, the bear prints went right past my dad's moose and right to the other one where it drug off part of it (recovered later).

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    I have left meat in the field over night several times. Every time I have had to leave it, I 'mark' around it (not too close) just like a bear would do. The only time I had any messed with, I didn't do this. Perhaps it works.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Excellent writeup and the photos were great! Thanks for posting it! And, by the way-- sounds like you are doing an excellent job raising up your son in the way he should go. Good stuff.

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Kudo's to you and your family! Beautiful pics and scenery, thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Akgramps
    replied
    VERY nice....! I thoroughly enjoyed your write up.....!

Leave a comment:

• Yukoner
    replied
    Very nice.
    Out of curiosity, what are those buggys you are running? And how did you manage to avoid having others find your secret area? Usually, once a trail gets put in, it isnt very long before others find it and it becomes pretty accesible.

Leave a comment:

• Roland on the River
    replied
    I just finished reading an amazing HUNT description. What a fine job with great pictures. Your doing a wonderful job raising your son.

Leave a comment:

• akmatt66
    replied
    Great story and great pictures!

Leave a comment:

• NMiller
    replied
    Very nice write up and pictures, looks like a great trip! We had bear trouble this year too. Pulled every bag off the meat pole and tore into them all with my buddies moose, that was only a couple hundred yards from camp. I shot mine about an hour before dark, took off two quarters and the guts, came back next morning to finish, bear had buried gut pile, drug one quarter only a few feet and chewed the nose off. Bizarre.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    You have done a great job teaching your son how to hunt, and also respect the animal. Good for all of you. Enjoyed the story. I have only lost meat to a predator once in nearly 50 years of hunting, but was able to recover most of it on that one occasion.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My son helped me skin out the head for a euro mount, and he proceeded to hunt spruce hen for the next several days and we enjoyed the comforts of camp.

And a fine moose camp it looks to be. I have yet to be able to hunt moose from a camp like that, and the country looks amazing. I'm envious to say the least...!!!

Leave a comment:

• Tearbear
    replied
    Congrats to your son! Great hunt story and photos...thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Amigo Will
    replied
    Keeping the life moving forward,congrats

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X