Packing a goat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
    but then most people think it strange that I would rather have moose than sheep... so maybe my taste buds are unusual.
    No, not really unusual. I love it, but know people as well that don't care for sheep meat. For some, unless you were raised on it, I think game meat as a whole is an acquired taste. I can remember as a kid my mom cooking up lamb and the smell filled the house. Never did care for it but I like Mt goat. I grew up eating wild ducks and really love them, but a lot of folks can't stand duck. Deer meat is probably one of my favorites, but again so many, even hunters, can't stand it......hard to believe. Some people can't stand King salmon but will eat other salmon. We all just like what we like......hard to get around that.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
      No, not really unusual. I love it, but know people as well that don't care for sheep meat. For some, unless you were raised on it, I think game meat as a whole is an acquired taste. I can remember as a kid my mom cooking up lamb and the smell filled the house. Never did care for it but I like Mt goat. I grew up eating wild ducks and really love them, but a lot of folks can't stand duck. Deer meat is probably one of my favorites, but again so many, even hunters, can't stand it......hard to believe. Some people can't stand King salmon but will eat other salmon. We all just like what we like......hard to get around that.....
      I suspect a lot of folks who don't like wild game have eaten some that wasn't properly cared for. We make an effort (not always successful) to get our moose to our shop whole. I use cable and ropes to pull them out of the field. Sometimes quite a distance. Most of my bow killed ones are not far off the road, and that is nice. We butcher them right away. Sometimes the same day if the weather is warm, which it usually is during archery season. I have introduced a lot of people to some very nice moose meat. I grew up on deer and elk, but moose is my favorite.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        Some people can't stand King salmon but will eat other salmon.
        Blasphemy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
          I take my goats to mat valley meats and have them do cheddar dogs and jalapeņo cheddar dogs.... Nine years I fed them to clients, some guys asked to take them home with them!
          Haven't done moose dogs...this year is the first moose I've had in my freezer in well over a decade.
          Jake, I'm in town and have some fresh goat meat. just back from Kodiak if you would like some.
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

How long are you in town for, Steve? Have a few hours in Wasilla tomorrow - would love to say hello.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
              How long are you in town for, Steve? Have a few hours in Wasilla tomorrow - would love to say hello.
              Staying with Luke and Becca until Sunday. Maybe we can all get together tomorrow sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                Jake, I'm in town and have some fresh goat meat. just back from Kodiak if you would like some.
                Had a feelin' that's where you were....... Congrats...!!!
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Steve thanks man but my freezer is full up with my boys cow moose! Really appreciate you thinking of us though!
                  Congrats on the goat, guessing those of us less fortunate will be getting a story to ready about your guys hunt here soon?
                  You were hunting with luke and becca?
                  Www.blackriverhunting.com
                  Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                    Steve thanks man but my freezer is full up with my boys cow moose! Really appreciate you thinking of us though!
                    Congrats on the goat, guessing those of us less fortunate will be getting a story to ready about your guys hunt here soon?
                    You were hunting with luke and becca?
                    Was with Luke, Becca and Luke's Father. We got 4, with 2 over 9 inches. Lots of Billy burgers this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                      Was with Luke, Becca and Luke's Father. We got 4, with 2 over 9 inches. Lots of Billy burgers this winter.
                      Must have been some good years for goats these past few winters. The year my brother, cousin and I scored 3 B&C goats, we had several good winters in previous years. My goat was the smallest at 9 5/8. Paul's was way over 10 and is in the top 3rd of the all time book. Was a great year for goats. Now I am the 'old goat.' Hunted in the Kenai Mts this year but didn't get one. But the old man was up there trying.
                      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I am at the airport in kodiak and just checked 210 lbs meat for two goats. We packed half a goat each and pumped them out over three days. Don't think I could do one by my self. Half a goat each was a bit much for the terrain. Second pack we were bringing spike camp out with half a goat. Thank god for crampons and an ice axe. Trying to post some picks but my tapatalk keeps telling me That my email is not set up some reason.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Congrats Tekla!!!!

Comment

Packing a goat?

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
                                mwhahahahaha...that is FUNNY! and True! Never had goat meat I liked, maybe some day!
                                I've never had goat meat that I didn't think was completely wonderful. I haven't eaten a whole lot of it but have had meat from four different goats now, two nannies and two billies, and it's all been some of the best wild game I've ever eaten.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X