No announcement yet.

Packing a goat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 goats checked in at Kodiak Airport, a 9" and 9 3/4" billy, both boned out, 140lbs. Backstraps missing off one goat though, and that was strictly boned out meat weight. We removed bloodshot on the mountain, so if ya text book him through lungs and don't damage any meat off the quarters, i'd say 80lbs is a safe estimate.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Comment

If you don't get close to 100# of boned out meat from a mature billy, you're leaving meat in the field.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
        If you don't get close to 100# of boned out meat from a mature billy, you're leaving meat in the field.
        Everything is bigger when Smokeross is involved.

Fun fact: smokeross once packed out two billies at one time without using those sissy granola poles or a fancy external pack frame. He quickly made a pack out of alder and the sinew from the goats. Fact!

Comment

Originally posted by magpie View Post
          Everything is bigger when Smokeross is involved.

Fun fact: smokeross once packed out two billies at one time without using those sissy granola poles or a fancy external pack frame. He quickly made a pack out of alder and the sinew from the goats. Fact!
          Did you see any Yeti?
          In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Just got back from Kodiak, 86lbs in a cooler. Boned out meat and we had the tenderloins in the field
            My WAC Hunt
            http://www.hinkleyfamily.homestead.c...kaCaribou.html
            My Delta Management Area (DMA - DS204) Hunt
            http://alaskasheephunt.homestead.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mossyhorn View Post
              I'd say no on packing one by yourself. I think two guys could do it in one trip, depending on terrain and what not. They are big critters!
              I shot one on Thursday. It took me six hours to get everything half-way down the mountain. I finally had to stash half the load in the alders. Took the other half to base of mountain and then a mile and a half to camp. I packed over a hundred pounds back before dark. Got up at six the next morning to retrieve the other half. Also over a hundred pounds. The pack snapped in half on the way back to camp. I did not bone the meat; four full quarters. Blisters and bruises ... And lots of prayers. I was hunting solo. This has been my toughest, and most memorable hunt. Good luck on your hunt - I'd allow for two days; if your pack breaks and you're a long way from camp, it will be super difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by kloshe View Post
                I'm an advocate of bringing two packs up the mountain with you. Split the load between the two packs and leapfrog the loads down the mountain. You walk twice the distance and it might be a little slower then trying to do it all in one load, but it's so much safer and easier on the body.
                Interesting. I have been considering this - i.e. carrying my internal frame attached to my Barney's frame. I am limited to carrying around 50lbs and thought this might work. How many folks do this???

Comment

Originally posted by Antleridge View Post
                  Interesting. I have been considering this - i.e. carrying my internal frame attached to my Barney's frame. I am limited to carrying around 50lbs and thought this might work. How many folks do this???
                  I've always been a fan of shuttling meat too, but you can accomplish this as well without the excess weight of an additional pack. Just carry a load so far, remove and stash the meat from the pack, put the pack back on and go back up for another load. Two packs maybe for a moose or caribou, but not on a goat or sheep hunt where weight is always such a big concern.
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Truenorthed View Post
                    I shot one on Thursday. It took me six hours to get everything half-way down the mountain. I finally had to stash half the load in the alders. Took the other half to base of mountain and then a mile and a half to camp. I packed over a hundred pounds back before dark. Got up at six the next morning to retrieve the other half. Also over a hundred pounds. The pack snapped in half on the way back to camp. I did not bone the meat; four full quarters. Blisters and bruises ... And lots of prayers. I was hunting solo. This has been my toughest, and most memorable hunt. Good luck on your hunt - I'd allow for two days; if your pack breaks and you're a long way from camp, it will be super difficult.
                    200lbs of meat and hyde is a HUGE GOAT
                    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. If he was packing camp as well then I could understand. But no offence True, and I'm a big fan of the Kenai bear killer, but.......if it was just meat and hide I'd have to see those weight scales with my own eyes. Reason I say this is because the average billy is around 175 on the hoof, with the biggest billy may weigh in up to 300. But I won't doubt you if you had scales to read. I don't know.......maybe you killed a monster. Would like to hear about it.
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

My terror Lake goat in 2012 I packed out solo, had a buddy with me but he had a bad back, so I gave him all my "hunt" stuff (cloths and such). I packed out all 4 quarters on the bone, trim meat bag and hide with head in one trip. It sucked, but I wasn't coming back up in the weather we had coming in on us. We didn't carry camp up, we were hiking off the lake everyday.
                        Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                        Kodiak, AK
                        www.alaska-fish.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

I've packed out several goats on the bone and head in as well. But a few I wouldn't even try. To dangerous. It is amazing the size difference in a decent billy and a BIG billy....
                          Www.blackriverhunting.com
                          Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing. If he was packing camp as well then I could understand. But no offence True, and I'm a big fan of the Kenai bear killer, but.......if it was just meat and hide I'd have to see those weight scales with my own eyes. Reason I say this is because the average billy is around 175 on the hoof, with the biggest billy may weigh in up to 300. But I won't doubt you if you had scales to read. I don't know.......maybe you killed a monster. Would like to hear about it.

I have a hard time believing those two packs weighed that much. Maybe you pack an insane amount of camping gear though!

Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2492980
                              Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
                              Yes, big goat ... Plus my rifle and gear.

Comment

I'm a big guy - 230lbs and 6'2" - just for perspective. The goat was BIG.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X