Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Lights, mid-September in the Brooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Lights, mid-September in the Brooks?

Is getting a glimpse of some Northern Lights near the Brooks Range on mid-September nights a reasonable expectation? If you have pics of them, post 'em up!

We've been getting them here in Fairbanks for the past few weeks, so no reason that the Brooks shouldn't have some showing up too. I don't have any pics though...sorry

Comment

There is a tour company called Northern Alaska Tour Company that has a northern lights tour. They are based out of Fairbanks. They run up to Coldfoot and then up to the Arctic circle just to see the Northern lights.

Comment

You should have a real good chance at seeing the lights in Sept. up there.

Sept. 4th, Coldfoot, AK

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3988.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	2492892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2492893

Comment

All it takes is darkness and a little solar flare activity on the sun. But yes, mid-September is in the aurora zone.
          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Been seeing them here on the Kenai Peninsula 1am ish looking NW the past few nights...

FWIW

Mountaintrekker

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Frosty, those pics are fantastic. Gives me chills. A buddy and I have been planning a trip for moose/bou in 2016. It's a long way off yet, but I can't help but feel the anticipation. The splendor of that scenery alone is worth the trip.

Comment

Here is a pic from Anchorage last year.

I was up hunting near Eagle in mid-September this year and the auroras were strong enough that we saw them before it was even dark. It was pretty crazy. At first I thought it was a cloud, but it was moving so much, and then they were all over the sky. We continued to watch as it got dark and they were everywhere. I saw them in Wasilla a couple years ago in August as well when they were really strong, so I imagine the Brooks would be an ideal spot to view them from.

Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X