Got skunked near Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got skunked near Hope

I've been going into the interior and have spotted several moose/bear/etc. But for whatever reason the Kenai and I just don't mix. After reading some of your guy's comments on the Hope area, decided to give it a shot. I've never been to that part before so didn't really know where to begin. We ended up hiking up the broadside of the mountain mile marker 6-7 near six mile creek. It was **** near impassable. So we drove back to hope, drove down Palmer Creek road and did some glassing all the way back to the campground...still nothing. I have a predator caller, but didn't want use it with all the other people around.

Was thinking about hiking down the Resurrection pass trail next week, but spoke with one of the locals in hope and they said there's only been one bear and one moose taken on that trail in recent years.

I'm still baffled how you guys spot so many bears every day.

Hope gets hunted hard, partly due to this forum, try giving the Seward and Sterling highways a bit more attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=MichaelRyanSD;1427937

Was thinking about hiking down the Resurrection pass trail next week, but spoke with one of the locals in hope and they said there's only been one bear and one moose taken on that trail in recent years.

[/QUOTE]
      I'm sorry that is so funny. Do you really think the local would tell you the truth? He lying through his teeth. No local would ever tell someone there good hunting, fishing, etc in his area. LOL

I know!! I know!! there is a person who lives in Hope that said there lots of bears in the area. I was referring to a normal person. , LOL

Comment

Was thinking about heading back to that area, either come in from Resurrection Pass, Devils Pass, or Summit Lake Trail. I could do an overnight or two. What do you think would be the best chance of me connecting with a Black or Brown bear. Someone help this Army guy out!!! lol.

On an unrelated note, I'm getting a UTV this winter, was thinking a RZR 4 person. Want something I could for hunting and for fun around Jims Creek. I realize the have rangers which are a bit more utility, but I want something that has some sort of dual purpose. Anyone have any thoughts why this may be a bad idea?

Comment

Are you the guys who had the brown bear encounter that i talked to yesterday?

Comment

No, if you are referring to the two guy who said they were surrounded by brown bear. We ran into them at the cafe.

Comment

I spent the day mixing concrete for footers, and watching four black bears (Sow with a pair of cubs) and solo Black. They were/are roughly in the area you hunted.
              "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

The area immediately near Hope is terrible hunting, as access to the high country is very difficult. The area around the Hope cutoff and down towards either Seward or Cooper Landing is better. Both have bears, but the latter have many trails that take you into the high country or simply enough chutes that you can climb. My wife and I went down there today and spotted a bear within 15 seconds of parking the truck. That said, he was above the goats. When we got to the ridge, he had moved on. Beautiful day, though.

Comment

The best way "UP" in this area, is the assend in the hemlock trees. And stay in the trees till there are no more trees. Done correctly it will put the hunter above the Alders & Willows, and into the alpine. And always best to decend the same way.
                  "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                    The area immediately near Hope is terrible hunting, as access to the high country is very difficult. The area around the Hope cutoff and down towards either Seward or Cooper Landing is better. Both have bears, but the latter have many trails that take you into the high country or simply enough chutes that you can climb. My wife and I went down there today and spotted a bear within 15 seconds of parking the truck. That said, he was above the goats. When we got to the ridge, he had moved on. Beautiful day, though.
                    I was thinking of using the Devils Pass trail to get up quickly next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                      The best way "UP" in this area, is the assend in the hemlock trees. And stay in the trees till there are no more trees. Done correctly it will put the hunter above the Alders & Willows, and into the alpine. And always best to decend the same way.
                      Thanks for the heads up, wish we had known before where we went up yesterday. It was near mile marker 7, it looks like an area had been logged right through where the dirt road led up. We went up on the left side, took two hours for maybe 500-750 ft.......what a pain in the arse that was.

Comment

At mile 6.2 there is a road up the mountain.

Originally posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post
                        Thanks for the heads up, wish we had known before where we went up yesterday. It was near mile marker 7, it looks like an area had been logged right through where the dirt road led up. We went up on the left side, took two hours for maybe 500-750 ft.......what a pain in the arse that was.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          At mile 6.2 there is a road up the mountain.
                          Are you talking about the road that runs along six mile creek?

Comment

Another bit of advice to you, if it's raining, turn the alarm clock off and go back to sleep. Some may argue different but I personally have never seen one in the berries in the rain. Saw five down there this morning. They didn't seem to stick around though. Did see a nice goat, and about 30 different sheep. One of them was pushing 3/4 curl.

Comment

No.......This was a access road to the powerline. But they moved the powerline. It is legal for walking only. But it gets you a fair ways up the mountain. Once you cross the old powerline easement clearing stay in the trees. Best is to come down the easement till just north of Cub Creek, there is then a good trail in the woods clear up to the open grassy hillside. The old road alone the 6-mile is the old military haul road, for securing the mines when Alaska was invaded early 40's.

Originally posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post
                              Are you talking about the road that runs along six mile creek?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X