Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWS Deer - any reports?

Howdy all,
    Does anyone have any news to report about deer in PWS? I'm thinking about heading out soon but have been away for the last few weeks and haven't heard any news. I'm happy to report my news when I return, but would appreciate any updates that anyone might have.

Thanks!

ADF&G produced a report earlier this year. Here is a link to the thread in case you missed it:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=deer

Comment

Thanks, I have that. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal accounts. Assuming I go, I'll post results.

Comment

We will be right behind ya by a week or so. Looking forward to your report. It was pretty poor for us last month. Saw several does but no bucks up high. Good luck
        27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
        Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
        Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
        MMSI# 338232859

Comment

We've had a decent season so far. Hunted high on Monte and saw quite a few does, fawns, and bucks. All the deer look incredibly fat and healthy and the bucks we did harvest had tons of fat. Not sure how things are on the smaller islands but monte and hinch look remarkable good. Also, throughout the year the beach sign has looked pretty good. I'm no expert but my sense is the population is rebounding nicely. They would benefit from another mild winter but it's impressive to see how resilient the PWS deer seem to be. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Fullboat View Post
            We've had a decent season so far. Hunted high on Monte and saw quite a few does, fawns, and bucks. All the deer look incredibly fat and healthy and the bucks we did harvest had tons of fat. Not sure how things are on the smaller islands but monte and hinch look remarkable good. Also, throughout the year the beach sign has looked pretty good. I'm no expert but my sense is the population is rebounding nicely. They would benefit from another mild winter but it's impressive to see how resilient the PWS deer seem to be. Good luck!
            That's good news!

I'll report back in a few weeks, our group is heading out Tuesday.

Fullboat: If it's not too personal, what general area of Montague were you on? We are basing out of the Chalmers cabin.

Comment

We like Zaikof Bay but spotted some up high in Chalmers too before the season opened. Don't overlook the beaches in the mornings and evenings, although we climbed up on the tops for 3 bucks, we also managed to find two more down on the beaches, just cruising and glassing.

Comment

Good to know. We hunted most of our days on Green last year and saw quite a few does and fawns, but no bucks to speak of. (mid Sept.)
                We then spent the last day in Zaikof up high and found reasonable numbers up there.
                This will be our first time hunting the Chalmers area so it'll be interesting trying to find our way up. Figure we'll give a couple days there and if all else fails, head back up to Zaikof.
                Hopefully we'll have some pictures to put up next week! Thanks again.

JQ

Comment

Locals in Cordova have been doing quite well this year. Lots of yearlings and two year olds and a few old growth. A friend took his son out for the day last week and they got seven deer, all on the beach. This is the other good time of year to cruise the beaches at low water looking for deer. The mature deer run off the young ones as the rut approaches and the yearlings and two year olds seem to spend a lot of time wandering the beaches. Has nothing to do with snow right now.
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
                  - Jef Mallett

Comment

PWS Deer - any reports?

Agh! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
                    And of course when I plan to leave, the marine weather is calling for gusts to 55kts in passage canal!

Anyone else planning on being over in the Montague area this week?

Comment

I was considering it but the weather looks like complete crap.
                      2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

PWS Deer - any reports?

Unfortunately I came down with the Plague on Friday. Wasn't able to really leave the living room all weekend. Hope y'all have better luck!

Comment

JR2- yeah, wasn't too excited about that forecast, but hopefully their right about it laying down Tuesday afternoon. Looks to be fairly calm over there now.

Boreal- thanks, and hope you're on the mend.

Comment

20 knts in Port Wells and it's due to get worse. Maybe later in the week.
                            2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Weather in pws can be so frustrating this time of year, hopefully the wind dies down in three weeks
                              Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X