Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My sheep adventures of 2014

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Thanks for the great write up and congrats on your ram!

    Comment


    • #32
      Excellent writeup, Brian! The pics really made it too. Nothing like solo hunts now and then. And I like your boy's picture at the end. That's a trophy too!
      Michael Strahan
      Site Owner
      Alaska Hunt Consultant
      1 (406) 662-1791

      Comment


      • #33
        Couldn't 'a happened to a nicer guy.

        Congrats, Brian.
        If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

        Comment


        • #34
          Fantastic write up! Thanks so much for sharing, although Mark and I still look forward to hearing the in person report over dinner. Great job, my friend.

          Comment


          • #35
            Congrats, Brian! I'm super excited for you. A terrific ram and what a story!! Just goes to show, stay positive and hunt hard till the end. It's not over till it's over. Thanks for sharing the story and all the great photos.

            Cheers,
            Rich
            Pursue happiness with diligence.

            Comment


            • #36
              Man that was a heart pounder! Just a epic story with twists and turns throughout until the final chapter unfolded. Maybe that ram down low is a lessen to be learned for future hunts. I look forward to your gear assessment too. Thanks for sharing your epic adventure.

              Comment


              • #37
                Great job Brian and a fantastic ram man! Will your brother be doing up a mount for you?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
                  Great job Brian and a fantastic ram man! Will your brother be doing up a mount for you?
                  Most likely. My original plan this fall if I were lucky enough to take a sheep was to use the cape for a ram that has been sitting on my bedroom floor for the past eight years - the cape from that one didn't make it. That said, this sheep is feeling pretty special right now, so I think I'm going to have to get it mounted. The cape is off to the tannery already, though I've waited on cutting the skull. If I use the cape for the older sheep, I'll display this one european style. Either way, I'll have it next to my son's picture and display it as a reminder of this fall.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by kymvan View Post
                    Fantastic write up! Thanks so much for sharing, although Mark and I still look forward to hearing the in person report over dinner. Great job, my friend.
                    I'll provide the sheep meat so long as Mark cooks for us.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Excellent story, Brian. Great pics. What a hunting season............so many ups and downs. Blessed is right and that's sorta the way I felt when I got the moose.
                      Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                      warming up the most delicious freeze dried food I think Iíve ever had,
                      Seriously..............???? With a whole sheeps worth of meat, heart, liver, some yards away, you ate freeze dried?
                      I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                      I have less friends now!!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Awesome, simply awesome hunt report. Congratulations on never giving up, especially being by yourself. Many times hunting partners keep each other going when the hunt isn't going as planned. Buy a Honda next time.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                          Seriously..............???? With a whole sheeps worth of meat, heart, liver, some yards away, you ate freeze dried?
                          Ha! Good point, Mike. In my defense, two points - first, I only had my jetboil along. Yes, I was below treeline and could have built a fire to roast some meat, but the wind was whipping crazy strong at that point. Second, as it was getting dark and the wind was raging, my mind was in survival mode at that point. I don't want to overstate it, but I was pretty dang focused on getting into solid shelter, not on what I was going to eat until I got protected. In hindsight, some meat would have been WAY better - though I'm not sure how I would have cooked it.

                          I've eaten some twice since I got home, though. Delicious!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
                            Awesome, simply awesome hunt report. Congratulations on never giving up, especially being by yourself. Many times hunting partners keep each other going when the hunt isn't going as planned. Buy a Honda next time.
                            Thanks for the kind words! If Honda made a six wheeler, I'd consider it. I'm sold on the 6x6 platform, though.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Very nice Brian! Loved your adventures and perseverance! Congrats on a fine ram!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                                Ha! Good point, Mike. In my defense, two points - first, I only had my jetboil along. Yes, I was below treeline and could have built a fire to roast some meat, but the wind was whipping crazy strong at that point. Second, as it was getting dark and the wind was raging, my mind was in survival mode at that point. I don't want to overstate it, but I was pretty dang focused on getting into solid shelter, not on what I was going to eat until I got protected. In hindsight, some meat would have been WAY better - though I'm not sure how I would have cooked it.

                                I've eaten some twice since I got home, though. Delicious!
                                Funny. My moose hunt was not as arduous, but I experienced the same thing. I had many expectations for a long time about how I would cook some fresh moose meat the night of any kill to celebrate (I had done that with deer in the past). But we were cold, wet, and tired, and barely managed to get a fire going with all the drenched wood. And we weren't even all done quartering the thing. So, we ate sausage and beans and the like and deferred the pleasure of eating the moose until later; in my case the first time with the boys at home, the night of my arrival.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X