No announcement yet.

My sheep adventures of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, congratulations Brian. First off, I've always enjoyed reading your write ups, and once again you didn't disappoint. I felt like I was right there with you for the highs and the lows. You hunted hard, and better yet you hunted safe..well done!

I think it's incredible you stumbled upon that ram so low. Do you have any suspicions about why he was down there? Old and wise and just didn't want to hike back up after the mountain because he knew the snow wouldn't come again?

And now the customary question...how old was he?

Comment

Very nice sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_JR View Post
        I think it's incredible you stumbled upon that ram so low. Do you have any suspicions about why he was down there? Old and wise and just didn't want to hike back up after the mountain because he knew the snow wouldn't come again?

And now the customary question...how old was he?
        No clue as to why he was down there, though he died with a mouth full of willow leaves - good feed, I guess?

He was aged by F&G at 11 years. Broomed on both sides - 36" on the long side, 33" on the other.

Comment

What a fantastic story. A great ram accompanied by a very well written account of the hunt. Congratulations!!!

Comment

Great story good to see your hard work pay off.Now we need a gear review.i almost bought that tent at one point. Have not had my super down in snowy humid weather yet how did it work for you.

Comment

Really nice sheep and story!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramcam View Post
                Great story good to see your hard work pay off.Now we need a gear review.i almost bought that tent at one point. Have not had my super down in snowy humid weather yet how did it work for you.
                I'm going to be doing a full review of the super down gear, but the short version is that I'm highly impressed with it. I had the same concerns about the wet, humid conditions, but it performed beautifully. I'm convinced.

Comment

Good job Brain, good ram and a good hunt....congrats!
                  "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Comment

Great read over breakfast! Glad it worked out and love the picture, that'll look good hanging on the wall for years to come.

Comment

Great story, thanks for sharing!
                      Jason
                      http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
                      http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Comment

Congratulations Brian! Love the write up! You have a talent and I hope you are keeping all your hunting adventures for a book .

Juli
                        Taxidermy IS art!
                        www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                        Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Great job, young man. Epic hunt for sure.
                          Vegetables aren’t food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post

In the days since I returned home I have had numerous friends make comments like ‘You earned that one!’ or ‘You sure worked for that ram!’, but in reality, this sheep was pure blessing. No doubt I worked my tail off in pursuit of sheep, but I can’t claim any special credit on this one – I was in the right place at the right time (on the way back to my truck, no less!), and was simply blessed beyond belief.

Heck of a ram Brian. And thanks for giving credit where credit is due. Rep points will be sent. :topjob:

​Oops. Says I have to spread some around first.

Comment

Great job man...congrats. memories for the rest of your life..
                              President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
                              http://akwaterfowl.com
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
                              AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
                              Gen.1:26
                              And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Comment

Awesome story Brian.

I was exploring the DCUA and hoping to stumble into a bull moose on the 17th through the 20th.
                                The whole time I was wishing I could head up and chase sheep.
                                I was jealous before I knew what to be jealous of.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X