Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammoth Hunter
    replied
    The hide over the guts helps protect it from the ravens and makes it nice and smelly for bears. Go back and nail a bear. Two for one deal.

Leave a comment:

• Tearbear
    replied
    Nice Bull! Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by aktatts View Post
    Love me some moose nose jelly we actually are jellying the whole head this year can't wait.

Where are you from Yukon? Im going to be snow machining over towards holy cross this winter when the season opens again.
    I'm originally from Georgia.

Leave a comment:

• aktatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    The nose is normally taken as well. We didn't know how to cut the nose out. We did take the tongue (one of my favorite parts). I never thought about the meat around the head for soup. I do bet that is tasty.
    Love me some moose nose jelly we actually are jellying the whole head this year can't wait.

Where are you from Yukon? Im going to be snow machining over towards holy cross this winter when the season opens again.

Leave a comment:

• BTK
    replied
    Conga Rats!

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by sayak View Post
    Must be a Yukon thing. My wife would have killed me had I not brought home the head. She loves the nose, tongue and, yes, the eyes. The meat around the skull makes a good soup. We only left hide and guts, and, in disdain of head hunters, we often left the antlers (didn't target trophy bulls). Never heard of that custom, but maybe it's different up there.
    The nose is normally taken as well. We didn't know how to cut the nose out. We did take the tongue (one of my favorite parts). I never thought about the meat around the head for soup. I do bet that is tasty.

Leave a comment:

• sayak
    replied
    Funny thing. I had never asked about the head facing east until this year. I've only seen a few people place the hide over the guys the way my student did. And when he placed the willows in the mouth, I'll admit that I got a lump in my throat. I've never gotten a lump in my throat over an animal before. I've always hunted for meat. Never a trophy. Just something else about this moose.
    Must be a Yukon thing. My wife would have killed me had I not brought home the head. She loves the nose, tongue and, yes, the eyes. The meat around the skull makes a good soup. We only left hide and guts, and, in disdain of head hunters, we often left the antlers (didn't target trophy bulls). Never heard of that custom, but maybe it's different up there.

Leave a comment:

• andweav
    replied
    Very good looking moose and thanks for sharing the back story to the harvest. We are all humbled at times, but you can be proud of that one!

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Follow the culture and many more great hunts will come your way. Congrats for sure and this will help the bride understand gun stuff needs.
    Lol. My bride is a Marine as well. She didn't get out this year because of child care issues. But her gun is coming up this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Amigo Will
    replied
    Follow the culture and many more great hunts will come your way. Congrats for sure and this will help the bride understand gun stuff needs.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Congratulations Yukon Cornelius. Great shooting Marine. Every Marine is allowed to miss one shot over the decades. I missed on one running animal not too long ago, and felt exactly the same way. Semper fi.
    I beat myself up over that miss. All week. I laughed about it. The kids laughed with me. Secretly I was hoping for a one shot kill. Had to redeem the Marine in me.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
    Congratulations.............you even look like Yukon Cornelius!
    I got the nickname back in 2009. My second year teaching. My principal thought I looked like Yukon Cornelius and the name stuck. My daughter even thinks she has a daddy doll(YC doll).

When we applied to teach up here we found out the school we were heading to was on the Yukon. It all made sense. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Congratulations on your moose! I really like your tradition with the hide/head etc... There are guys down here in SE who do something similar with deer. They leave the head somewhere fitting with greens in it's mouth out of respect for the animal.
    Funny thing. I had never asked about the head facing east until this year. I've only seen a few people place the hide over the guys the way my student did. And when he placed the willows in the mouth, I'll admit that I got a lump in my throat. I've never gotten a lump in my throat over an animal before. I've always hunted for meat. Never a trophy. Just something else about this moose.

Leave a comment:

• Anythingalaska
    replied
    Congratulations on your moose! I really like your tradition with the hide/head etc... There are guys down here in SE who do something similar with deer. They leave the head somewhere fitting with greens in it's mouth out of respect for the animal.

Leave a comment:

• MarineHawk
    replied
    ... The boat was moving up and down like crazy and I was worried I'd miss (expert marksman while in the Corps, so a little ego issues after missing on Wed). I slowed down and took a few deep breaths. At 180 yds away I squeezed the trigger. 180 grains of 30-06 down range. The bull dropped like a sack of taters. Right on the bank. In the grass and thankfully not in the muck (I sunk to my knee when I jumped out of the boat). ...
    Congratulations Yukon Cornelius. Great shooting Marine. Every Marine is allowed to miss one shot over the decades. I missed on one running animal not too long ago, and felt exactly the same way. Semper fi.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X