No announcement yet.

First Moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good looking moose and thanks for sharing the back story to the harvest. We are all humbled at times, but you can be proud of that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
      Funny thing. I had never asked about the head facing east until this year. I've only seen a few people place the hide over the guys the way my student did. And when he placed the willows in the mouth, I'll admit that I got a lump in my throat. I've never gotten a lump in my throat over an animal before. I've always hunted for meat. Never a trophy. Just something else about this moose.
      Must be a Yukon thing. My wife would have killed me had I not brought home the head. She loves the nose, tongue and, yes, the eyes. The meat around the skull makes a good soup. We only left hide and guts, and, in disdain of head hunters, we often left the antlers (didn't target trophy bulls). Never heard of that custom, but maybe it's different up there.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
        Must be a Yukon thing. My wife would have killed me had I not brought home the head. She loves the nose, tongue and, yes, the eyes. The meat around the skull makes a good soup. We only left hide and guts, and, in disdain of head hunters, we often left the antlers (didn't target trophy bulls). Never heard of that custom, but maybe it's different up there.
        The nose is normally taken as well. We didn't know how to cut the nose out. We did take the tongue (one of my favorite parts). I never thought about the meat around the head for soup. I do bet that is tasty.

Comment

Conga Rats!

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
            The nose is normally taken as well. We didn't know how to cut the nose out. We did take the tongue (one of my favorite parts). I never thought about the meat around the head for soup. I do bet that is tasty.
            Love me some moose nose jelly we actually are jellying the whole head this year can't wait.

Where are you from Yukon? Im going to be snow machining over towards holy cross this winter when the season opens again.

Comment

Originally posted by aktatts View Post
              Love me some moose nose jelly we actually are jellying the whole head this year can't wait.

Where are you from Yukon? Im going to be snow machining over towards holy cross this winter when the season opens again.
              I'm originally from Georgia.

Comment

Nice Bull! Congratulations!

Comment

The hide over the guts helps protect it from the ravens and makes it nice and smelly for bears. Go back and nail a bear. Two for one deal.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X