Hunting violations in the delta area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting violations in the delta area.

Wow, just read the paper, 11 sub-legal bull moose were turned in two caribou violations, and a sub-legal sheep and a cow mistaken for a bull.
    All but two of the people were from other parts of the state.

I think some people need to take a corse on figuring out a leagal bull.

( this was just delta, I'm sure other areas were hit just as hard.)

That's a bummer. It begs the question how many sub-legal animals are taken home w/o anyone knowing AND how many sublegal animals are left to rot to avoid a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by jpost View Post
      That's a bummer. It begs the question how many sub-legal animals are taken home w/o anyone knowing AND how many sublegal animals are left to rot to avoid a ticket.
      10 times as many at least.

Comment

Originally posted by jpost View Post
        I thought of that to.

Its a great place to hunt, but if people cont. to abuse it, who knows what will happen.

You take this kind of a report and add in the anterless hunts and delta will be a has-been.

( On a side note, cracked me up, there was a guy that works at the pogo mine , met him at the bridge, he was from kenai and ( and that is 500 miles away) he got his buddy to come up with two sportjohns and they went up and got two small moose and a small bou. above the mine. For those of you that don't know, that is approx. 100 miles from the bridge. Congrats to the guys, but the money that was spent for that adventure had to be way up there.)

Comment

These kind of issues are not limited to the Delta area. Check the Trooper Dispatch and see what has been 'reported' around the State. It is truly sad, the number citations that have been issued. Wonder where a good part of the game population is going????

Comment

Yeah there were 10 or so last time I looked at the Frontiersman blotter (Mat-Su).

Comment

I would be really curious each year how the sub legal moose split out by number. Is it forks and spikes that turned out to not be spikes, sub 50's, sub brow times etc. I would think ADFG could use that to reinforce certain aspects of their outreach so folks know what others have done wrong and to stress the ways to avoid such issues.

Comment

Wouldn't all these sub legal bulls not be taken if f@g took out the 50" rule?

Comment

Originally posted by alexl View Post
                  I am not totally opposed to the 50" rule! I have walked away from several bulls that were close to 50"'s, but that is the way it goes. There has to be some guide lines so that the 'breeding' age animals are still around to maintain the herd. ADF&G used to have a video out called "Is this moose legal" that really shows what to look for. It is well worth looking at!
                  I would also suspect that some that take 'sub-legal' moose just get excited and their judgment gets impaired. It can and does happen more then some would like to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by alexl View Post
                    I agree it seems to be a very problematic rule for a lot of folks.
                    I would like to see a spike/fork hunt every year,
                    then every other year a short any bull hunt maybe 5 days or a week long.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Bearcat View Post
                      ADF&G used to have a video out called "Is this moose legal" that really shows what to look for. It is well worth looking at!
                      http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=570
                      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Last time i was near delta i witnesses 3 illegal kills, along with some drunks stumbling along a trail " ready to shoot a moose".
                        Have not been there since.

Comment

Originally posted by sh View Post
                          Last time i was near delta i witnesses 3 illegal kills, along with some drunks stumbling along a trail " ready to shoot a moose".
                          Have not been there since.
                          ...(and the odds are extremely high that they weren't from Delta. Just say'n.).
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                            ...(and the odds are extremely high that they weren't from Delta. Just say'n.).
                            Yeah- Delta seems to be the road system moose location in vogue currently with all the joy that entails... I live in great moose country, and drive 90 miles to get away from it.
                            "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by whitepalm
                              If you can afford it and it provides the sort of hunting situation you desire, more power to them. Maybe you shouldnt "out" their honey hole for "small" big game. The question is, did they jump any beaver dams
                              I think the question should be did they "damage" any beaver dams!

Sounds like a fun trip to me! When I lived in Bethel I burned 200 gallons of gas (around 6 bucks a gallon) moose hunting 1 year . Seen 3 moose total and didn't fill a tag...but it was still good time!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X