Savage 99 .358 Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage 99 .358 Win

I have always had a yearn for a Savage 99 in the .358 Winchester and I finally bit the bullet and picked one up for what I feel is a fair price. My main Alaska rifle is a 8mm Remington Magnum but it is a 26 inch light weight about 7 pounds that I built up for sheep hunting. Yes it's not you typical sheep gun but being 50 feet from a Grizzly with a .270 in my hands didn't leave me warm and fuzzy. Any way my thinking is I'll carry the .358 while out berry picking knocking around the timber etc. I am just curious if anyone else thinks like me or am I off kilter ?

yuo're off kilter---just like the rest of us Gun Loonies

:shot:

enjoy,
    it's a great cartrige

Chris

Comment

Although I have zero experience with the .358, I've always been a fan based on the reading I've done. Plus it just sounds cool. Have a Savage 99 in .308 passed down to me from my Great Uncle and Grandfather. Love it.

If you ever decide to depart with that .358, let me know!

Comment

Lucky man! I have one in .308 and another in .300 Savage. I was going to have my .308 made into a .358... maybe I still will.

Comment

this is my primary gun. a 20 in barreled savage 99. it aint pretty, but I don't care, it'll put a bullet through 5 ft of moose on a head-on shot.

48 grains of reloader 10x, and a 200 grain accubond at 2700 fps, is my open country, or alpine load. 200 yd zero, makes 400 yd shots very easy, even in heavy winds. that's my limit.

everything else on the rivers:

275 grain woodleigh, 42 grains of reloader 10x. anything within 300 yds is dead. the bullets will go completely though a bull moose front end.

I drop the scope, and use it for bear protection. the nice round receiver, make for a handy carbine to carry. 5 rounds over an unloaded chamber, with a short-throw lever makes for a serious bear protection gun. heck, I drop the scope when I'm done moose hunting anyways, makes for a nice carry gun with camp chores.

www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

Thanks guy 's nice to know I am not alone. ThTs a nice Moose.

Comment

How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking)?

Comment

Been shooting mine for close to 40 years, and it's yet to need a second shot on any game. Gotta be several thou rounds through it over the years. Mine's always worn a Williams receiver sight, so I have no clue how "accurate" it is for paper poking. It just keeps on slapping game and punching out lights. Many is the time I've carried it in serious bear country, even with a couple of 375's in the locker.

BTW- I have two other 358's- A Winnie 88 with factory sights and a custom bolt w/ 20" barrel and a 1.5x5 Leopold. Nice guns and I still shoot them a fair bit, but the 99 does all the hunting. Never stretched the range past about 200, and in fact most shots have been inside 50. Goodenuff for me.
                "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                Merle Haggard

Comment

I have never owned a savage til about 2 years ago. Savage released a rifle based off the 206 I believe. They called it the "bear hunter". Well it came all decked out with a accu stock, trigger, fluttet barrell, and a detachable muzzle break. All really cheap!!!!
                  so I tried it out.
                  Two years later, here I am to tell you. This is my new favorite rifle in the safe. For the $$$ invested, I couldn't be happier!
                  i am now a fan of savage fire arms.

Comment

BrownBear, kudu's to you it sounds to me that not requiring a second shot in 40 yeas, says more about the shooter than the rifle. I mean that as a compliment. Beware the one gun shooter he probably knows how to shoot it!

Comment

Do you get much meat damage on shoulder hits? I know that's more of a bullet choice question than anything but I''ve wanted a rifle in 358 longer than I can remember.

Comment

no meat damage, with the 275 grain woodleighs. you can eat right up to the bullet hole. that's why I break the front end, I need them by the river as I have to deal with these bruisers by myself. usually hunt solo, and it's alot of work, so I like to anchor them near the waters edge, the 358 winchester does that.

In the time it took to walk 100 yds on the 2012 bull in velvet, about five gallons of blood poured out of the exit wound, in a depression on the ground under the moose.

I don't use a recoil pad, there is no need for one.
                        www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

A couple of pictures

Don't have it here yet but soon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A couple more

I think I'll like
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last Pics I have

I think the recoil pad was added but the metal is clean and the wood isn't in bad shape. Someone asked what I gave for it and with shipping it will be 1027.00. As I stated in an earlier post i believe its a fair deal. It isn't a steal but I have watched these for some time and finding one with the metal in this good a shape is rare for the price.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X