Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little info

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a little info

    Let me start by saying I am not looking for your spot or anything overly specific. The AF has deemed it the right time to deploy me for the entire winter so I figure I will have some time to plan some hunts. Number 1 on the list is Sheep! I am not far from retirement so funds are tight, trying to save as much of a cushion as I can. I am going to do some fly out research but don't think I will be able to find anything close to what I can spend. What I do have though is an ATV, a huge want to harvest a sheep, and legs willing to do some work. With that said, where are some decent access areas to sheep? I have seen a few write ups from people here who have rode their wheelers in, parked them and hiked the rest. I will ride as far as the trail will take me and then hike in a reasonable distance. As I said, I'm not looking for a specific drainage or GPS spots. General areas with ATV trail heads would be nice. I have been looking at maps of the Boulder creek area, Eureka/Gunsite Mtn trails too. If anyone has any trail heads in the AK Range or Wrangells or any others in the Chugach your willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Delta cua. Go opening day (aug 10th) with your wheeler to avoid the crowds. If you get far enough back you will not see another person on a wheeler....

    Comment


    • #3
      If your talking about hunting this year... Most places you have till the 20th of sept to make it happen...???

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by magpie View Post
        Delta cua. Go opening day (aug 10th) with your wheeler to avoid the crowds. If you get far enough back you will not see another person on a wheeler....
        You got to be shiiting me! The dcua is closed to motorized vehicles until august 29th. Why would you put out bs info like that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 323 View Post
          You got to be shiiting me! The dcua is closed to motorized vehicles until august 29th. Why would you put out bs info like that.
          It is? No way? How about you spoon feed me all your knowledge on the matter?

          Comment


          • #6
            323 is correct. Page 18 of the 2014-2015 drawing supplement for hunt DS203 and DS204. "The area is closed to any motorized vehicle or pack animal for big game hunting, including transportation of big game hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of big game, from August 5 through August 25." This restriction covers the entire DS203 season but the 204 season is Aug 26 to Sep 20 and motorized vehicles would be allowed. Going on opening day with an ATV will result in a fine at the least. How's that for a spoon?

            Comment


            • #7
              I bet magpie is right though - you won't see another hunter in there!

              I think magpie forgot to put a smiley on his post.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill S. View Post
                323 is correct. Page 18 of the 2014-2015 drawing supplement for hunt DS203 and DS204. "The area is closed to any motorized vehicle or pack animal for big game hunting, including transportation of big game hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of big game, from August 5 through August 25." This restriction covers the entire DS203 season but the 204 season is Aug 26 to Sep 20 and motorized vehicles would be allowed. Going on opening day with an ATV will result in a fine at the least. How's that for a spoon?
                Luckily I flew in at 9 shot my ram at 12 and was back to town by three. No four wheeler used at all!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
                  Let me start by saying I am not looking for your spot or anything overly specific.e or GPS spots.... If anyone has any trail heads in the AK Range or Wrangells or any others in the Chugach your willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.
                  You're likely going to catch some flak for this... you've basically asked for an ATV pursuable, harvest ticket sheep hunt. I'm guessing if people know about them, they certainly aren't going to post it here....or at least I hope they don't. Not to give you flak but a lot of fly-in areas are all but overrun these days, I can't imagine a HT ATV area not being completely blown out.

                  DS204 is a motorized sheep hunt that you'll need to draw and I'm sure there are some others out there on HT areas with some really low success rates.

                  If you really want a sheep- suggest you either look at flying in or get ready to hike a long way.
                  "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
                    If anyone has any trail heads in the Wrangells and your willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.
                    I got this map from some really good dudes that were more than helpful. They told me that they had all kinds of rules and stuff about ATV use out there, but I never looked into it. I do know based on published data that there are about 250 hunters a year in these areas, so you won't have to struggle to find a buddy to go riding with. Someone told me that the northern road looks like down town LA grid lock come August 8.

                    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parkmgmt/upl...ce%20Areas.pdf

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by magpie View Post
                      It is? No way? How about you spoon feed me all your knowledge on the matter?
                      Uh oh internet tough guy watch out...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 323 View Post
                        Uh oh internet tough guy watch out...
                        You're just made cuz you took the bait hababababa

                        Good luck rest the season!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by magpie View Post
                          Delta cua. Go opening day (aug 10th) with your wheeler to avoid the crowds. If you get far enough back you will not see another person on a wheeler....
                          Thanks, great info here. I guess I could send all legal fees to you as I get them, right?

                          Originally posted by sambuck12 View Post
                          If your talking about hunting this year... Most places you have till the 20th of sept to make it happen...???
                          Not this year.

                          Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                          You're likely going to catch some flak for this... you've basically asked for an ATV pursuable, harvest ticket sheep hunt. I'm guessing if people know about them, they certainly aren't going to post it here....or at least I hope they don't. Not to give you flak but a lot of fly-in areas are all but overrun these days, I can't imagine a HT ATV area not being completely blown out.

                          DS204 is a motorized sheep hunt that you'll need to draw and I'm sure there are some others out there on HT areas with some really low success rates.

                          If you really want a sheep- suggest you either look at flying in or get ready to hike a long way.
                          Seems that any question asked here these days end in flak. I'm pretty sure a few guys here spend more time playing e-thug then hunting. Thanks for the advice though.

                          Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
                          I got this map from some really good dudes that were more than helpful. They told me that they had all kinds of rules and stuff about ATV use out there, but I never looked into it. I do know based on published data that there are about 250 hunters a year in these areas, so you won't have to struggle to find a buddy to go riding with. Someone told me that the northern road looks like down town LA grid lock come August 8.

                          http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parkmgmt/upl...ce%20Areas.pdf
                          Thanks for the info. I am going to look into this some more. I'm not afraid of using the shoe leather express as well after the wheeler is parked. Lol

                          I am looking into some fly outs as well. Was really hoping to hear something along the lines of maybe something like there are trails at X town into the mountains. I am more than willing to scout areas for myself. Guess I will be doing a lot of scanning google maps and ACME Mapper.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by magpie View Post
                            You're just made cuz you took the bait hababababa

                            Good luck rest the season!
                            Your right you got me good....

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X