happy valley fly out hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stone View Post
    Have you got a web address for 70North? I did a google search and wound up with inconclusive results. It seems like most outfitters doing DIY caribou hunts are asking about $2500 pp. does that sound about right?
    Contact info for Mike at 70 North, one of the best outfits up there.

operations@SEVENTYNORTH.COM

Deltana will only drop you for Bou,, no sheep hunters, they will not fly sheep hunters that are DIY.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
      Just got back home from a fly in float out hunt and used 70 North as the transporter. They were professional and did a nice job. We were fortunate to see as many animals as we did. Did not see a single caribou flying in. Weather changed and we ended up seeing a ton of them. I will be completing a write up tonight or tomorrow, but here are some things to consider. Floating that river is not a joke. Its not a float, its a paddle/drag. We had strong head winds and cross winds and had to paddle (hard) constantly to stay off the banks and in the right channel. All 4 guys in my group are in pretty good shape and we fared well, but I wouldn't want to have had to do it with someone who was not physically prepared.

I've been on the that river twice, so it may be awhile before I repeat that hunt, but if I were to do it again I would seriously consider just getting dropped. You obviously wont cover as much ground, but you will not be wasting time setting up and tearing down camp. You also wont be relying on water levels. We had really nice water to float out, but it was still a task given the 40 mph gusts and 20 degree temps.
      Looking forward to hearing your story..We were there from the 1-8th Sept....We managed a nice trip, with the exception of the 3 day 'hole up' in the tent and around camp. Thankfully we did not have issues with wind or water levels and the float out was great. (actually too sunny for my liking, LOL, but I would rather have sun than blowing in your face snow!)
      Taxidermy IS art!
      www.alaskawildliferugs.com
      Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
        Looking forward to hearing your story..We were there from the 1-8th Sept....We managed a nice trip, with the exception of the 3 day 'hole up' in the tent and around camp. Thankfully we did not have issues with wind or water levels and the float out was great. (actually too sunny for my liking, LOL, but I would rather have sun than blowing in your face snow!)
        He posted it already.....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...y-in-Float-out
        "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

[IMG] Arrowhead Outfitters August 17th 2014. [/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Keep driving north beyond happy valley!

I've never flown with 70north and won't say anything bad about any of the pilots flying out of happy valley.
            What I will say is that I have no reason to inquire with any other pilots after the hunts I've done with Arrowhead Outfitters!
            I've been on 2 highly successful hunts and will continue to use them for any Brooks Range or North slope hunts I choose.
            I'm a man of value and every year I do this hunt I add up the cost of flying that Howard and his pilots do and I'm amaze at how affordable this hunt becomes. The fact that he will move you mid-week to an area where the caribou have relocated to is just priceless. PRICELESS!
            This year was a prime example. My group of 4 hunters followed the 2 gentleman from the previous reply "ORHUNTERS". The had tagged out in a single day on those 2 great bulls. The next day we all 4 took the stud caribou you see in those pictures. We passed up MANY bulls that were smaller or equal to these bulls. At this first location we were holding out for bulls that were truly enormous to fill our second tag. But, By two days later, all the caribou were gone. Arrowhead moved us about 10 miles to a new lake and we were able to fill out on great bulls.
            I've done the 5 mile march 3 times. Each time I was able to see and hunt caribou but wound up disappointed when 2 days passed and the caribou had all migrated away and left the tundra barren again.
            With all the experience I've had on that haul road…you just can't afford to travel all that way up there and not be successful. Arrowhead outfitter's float plane operation is the best way to be successful, and have the tundra to yourself. Otherwise, you'll be sharing gravel bars with other outfitters!
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10590548_10100528621290829_7667549801848705952_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2492970Click image for larger version

Name:	10653426_10100528621724959_3791350760664645992_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2492971

Comment

I also did a hunt this fall with Arrowhead Outfitters and we had a great hunt. What really sold me on arrowhead was the fact that they fly floats. With the number of lakes up there, they have no problem putting a guy wherever the caribou are. We flew over some other camps on the flight in and it looked like the spots a cub could land were somewhat crowded as they had a few different hunting groups on them. I'm sure they were successful, but I didnt go all the way up there to meet other hunters and share a hunting area with another group. Howard put us down in a real good spot and we ended up shooting some really nice bulls. They really did a great job of getting our meat out a day or two after we shot bulls and they moved us when caribou migrated through. We had opportunities at the original spot after shooting our first bulls but we got a little picky and then the caribou left. I talked to a number of hunters while at the airport waiting to fly home and the ones who flew with Howard all had great experiences as well. Really couldn't have been happier with the service we got and I will surely fly with them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_w View Post
                  I also did a hunt this fall with Arrowhead Outfitters and we had a great hunt. What really sold me on arrowhead was the fact that they fly floats. With the number of lakes up there, they have no problem putting a guy wherever the caribou are. We flew over some other camps on the flight in and it looked like the spots a cub could land were somewhat crowded as they had a few different hunting groups on them. I'm sure they were successful, but I didnt go all the way up there to meet other hunters and share a hunting area with another group. Howard put us down in a real good spot and we ended up shooting some really nice bulls. They really did a great job of getting our meat out a day or two after we shot bulls and they moved us when caribou migrated through. We had opportunities at the original spot after shooting our first bulls but we got a little picky and then the caribou left. I talked to a number of hunters while at the airport waiting to fly home and the ones who flew with Howard all had great experiences as well. Really couldn't have been happier with the service we got and I will surely fly with them again.
                  This may sound like an odd question but when you called them for a meat run early did they sound like you were bothering them? Did they get back to you timely? How was their general interest in your hunt and success? Their overall attitude toward you and your hunt? You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by dvarmit View Post
                    This may sound like an odd question but when you called them for a meat run early did they sound like you were bothering them? Did they get back to you timely? How was their general interest in your hunt and success? Their overall attitude toward you and your hunt? You can PM me if you don't want to post here.
                    When we called to let them know we had bulls down they just told us they would be flying groups in and would get the meat while flying out. Didn't sound bothered by it at all and came the next day to get the meat out. I would say they had interest in our success for sure. When we told them the caribou had migrated out of the area they were willing to put in the extra flights to help us fill our tags. Overall attitude was good and the pilots were all good to work with. You could tell they were working hard to get all the hunters in and out so they didn't have a lot of time to talk but they were all friendly. When we got back Howard and Deb were there to thank us for flying with them and seemed happy for us. Great experience for our group and everyone else we talked to who flew with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_w View Post
                      When we called to let them know we had bulls down they just told us they would be flying groups in and would get the meat while flying out. Didn't sound bothered by it at all and came the next day to get the meat out. I would say they had interest in our success for sure. When we told them the caribou had migrated out of the area they were willing to put in the extra flights to help us fill our tags. Overall attitude was good and the pilots were all good to work with. You could tell they were working hard to get all the hunters in and out so they didn't have a lot of time to talk but they were all friendly. When we got back Howard and Deb were there to thank us for flying with them and seemed happy for us. Great experience for our group and everyone else we talked to who flew with them.
                      Thanks! much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ORhunting View Post
                        [IMG] Arrowhead Outfitters August 17th 2014. [/IMG]
                        Congrats and thanks for the video........enjoyed it...!!!

Glad you had a great hunt with your Dad...!!! :topjob:
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

thanks everyone. did you guys do the northern brooks range or the southern? I seen on arrowheads website that he offers both areas. also did any of you see any other game griz or wolves? it would be nice to get a chance to hunt them while trying to get some caribou. thanks for all the info

Matt

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X