Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM 400 cow moose info.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DM 400 cow moose info.

    I have been out every weekend trying got get my daughter her cow from homer with no success yet. I was going to float the little su for my DM 400 tag but will not have enough time to do so. My daughter is buisy this weekend so now is my chance. Just wondering if anyone would like to share a trail head to start from. I talked to the bio and he told me the float was the best bet but it's just not in the cards for me this year. I have a fourwheeler and strong back so either a walking trail or wheeler would do. Not looking for a secret spot just a good legal starting point. Pm me if you have any info. Thanks.

  • #2
    We are hunting the same tag, my daughter has it , check out the power line pass, clear and wide open, lot of cows, we had two stalks on two different days, the first we couldn't get the gun out of the boot fast enough and the second was we thought she had calves, but ended up to be another cow, and they bolted. we will hunt it later in the month, got other hunts to do....good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just be aware of the no motorize use in the Susitna Flats Refuge. I was down there last weekend and LE was ALL OVER the place. Saw them seize a non-legal moose on Saturday and then they were patrolling on Sunday. There is very little places you can legally access the land in the refuge with an ATV, but it is wide open for glassing if you get out on foot.

      Hope this helps, I used it to find some spots.

      http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...itnaflats.main

      Comment


      • #4
        Not sure where powerline pass is on the west side of the road? Also don't think the flats are in my hunt area. The DM 400 tag is the little su south to the willow north. And the highway to the big su. Just leaving from big lake now and going to check out deshka landing road area. Still have t found a trail. It's very hard to find out what is private land and what is legal hunting. Any help would be much appreciated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Reviving an old thread, drew this tag and starting to think about how to go at this hunt, would love to hear from any of you who have good intel you're willing to share.

          Comment


          • #6
            Never had that exact same tag but I'm familiar with the area. If I had that tag I think the first thing I would try is go to the farms and ask for permission. Plenty of cows on the farms. Worst cast scenario you could try to persuade the farmer by offering a portion of the meat. If that doesn't work out then I would start hitting the trails. Plenty of trails out that way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
              Never had that exact same tag but I'm familiar with the area. If I had that tag I think the first thing I would try is go to the farms and ask for permission. Plenty of cows on the farms. Worst cast scenario you could try to persuade the farmer by offering a portion of the meat. If that doesn't work out then I would start hitting the trails. Plenty of trails out that way.
              Thanks! Will check out the door-knocking options and trails as well. Trails, as in 4-wheeler? That would be convenient.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Forager View Post
                Thanks! Will check out the door-knocking options and trails as well. Trails, as in 4-wheeler? That would be convenient.
                Yeah, as others had already previously mentioned, there are lots of trails to explore. Goose Bay State Refuge, Powerline Trails etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Forager View Post
                  Thanks! Will check out the door-knocking options and trails as well. Trails, as in 4-wheeler? That would be convenient.
                  Definitely go out and introduce yourself to the farmers. Start now, as the depredations of this winter are fresh in their minds. The owner of the elk ranch out there has helped moose hunters in the past; moose eat tons of hay in the wintertime and are a great expense to the farmers; you might even get the farmer to help out with a tractor!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
                    Definitely go out and introduce yourself to the farmers. Start now, as the depredations of this winter are fresh in their minds. The owner of the elk ranch out there has helped moose hunters in the past; moose eat tons of hay in the wintertime and are a great expense to the farmers; you might even get the farmer to help out with a tractor!
                    Thanks for the tip! Will do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi there...
                      The area around the aforementioned Elk Farm is great, but unfortunately not in your hunt area. Your hunt area is between the Little Su and the Big Su beginning at the Natural gas right-of-way to the south and ending to the north in Willow. There are lots of moose in there! If I drew that tag and was doing the weekend warrior thing, Iíd consider parking and glassing from the Parks Highway just North of Houston (or)going down Lynx Lake Rd., setting up a tree stand on the edge of a field and wait for a sighting. If you want to be more adventurous, float the Little Su from the highway and hunt the legal area to the north and west.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Judd View Post
                        Hi there...
                        The area around the aforementioned Elk Farm is great, but unfortunately not in your hunt area. Your hunt area is between the Little Su and the Big Su beginning at the Natural gas right-of-way to the south and ending to the north in Willow. There are lots of moose in there! If I drew that tag and was doing the weekend warrior thing, Iíd consider parking and glassing from the Parks Highway just North of Houston (or)going down Lynx Lake Rd., setting up a tree stand on the edge of a field and wait for a sighting. If you want to be more adventurous, float the Little Su from the highway and hunt the legal area to the north and west.
                        Appreciated. Hadnít had a chance to google the elk farm, looks like itís over toward Hatcherís. Will check out what you mentioned. Thank you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Judd View Post
                          If you want to be more adventurous, float the Little Su from the highway and hunt the legal area to the north and west.
                          BTW Iíd considered the float hunt and would love to do that but unfortunately need to keep expenses down and have minimal time away from work available. Iím a little bummed as I feel like this tag is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity and Iíd like to make the most of it, but it is what it is. Feel quite grateful nonetheless.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Judd View Post
                            Hi there...
                            The area around the aforementioned Elk Farm is great, but unfortunately not in your hunt area. Your hunt area is between the Little Su and the Big Su beginning at the Natural gas right-of-way to the south and ending to the north in Willow. There are lots of moose in there! If I drew that tag and was doing the weekend warrior thing, Iíd consider parking and glassing from the Parks Highway just North of Houston (or)going down Lynx Lake Rd., setting up a tree stand on the edge of a field and wait for a sighting. If you want to be more adventurous, float the Little Su from the highway and hunt the legal area to the north and west.
                            My bad. I thought he had the Pt. Mac area.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
                              Definitely go out and introduce yourself to the farmers. Start now, as the depredations of this winter are fresh in their minds. The owner of the elk ranch out there has helped moose hunters in the past; moose eat tons of hay in the wintertime and are a great expense to the farmers; you might even get the farmer to help out with a tractor!
                              Back in NY trying to get permission to hunt a farmers land was usually pretty tough. What finally increased our success was pretty simple. Since I taught computer graphics at the time, we printed up some 3x5 cards and included a copy of our divers license, vehicle descriptions, phone numbers and the local Game Wardens number. With all of that information, farmers were put at ease that we were not just some city slickers that were going to be driving off with his donkey in the back of the pickup.

                              Patriot Life Member NRA
                              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                              Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X