Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you Alaskan hunters think about this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you Alaskan hunters think about this?

    OK, this is a situation here in the Yukon, and perhaps not the most appropriate section on the forum, but I need some non-biased input.
    North of Whitehorse are two small communities, Faro and Mayo. There are 3 Federally licensed air carriers that have apparently signed "contracts" with all the big game outfitters who base out of these communities, and part of these contracts are that the carriers can not fly for anyone else while on contract, which means no residents flying into "their" areas. The outfitters have essentially formed a cartel, and have pretty much now eliminated residents. The carriers would love to fly residents, but the Yukon is small in population, and outfitters bring a lot of business. The outfitters have stated to them in clear terms that if they fly residents into any of "their" lakes (that is any lakes in their concessions) they will not get any business from any of them.
    What would you guys do? Would Alaskans be ok with this situation.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

  • #2
    Who would the guides use if the three pilots said no? Would a pilot lose money if he just flew unguided folks?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

    Comment


    • #3
      This already exists in Alaska, perhaps not as organized but close to it.

      I believe the outfitters guaranteed business keeps the pilots on board. Very sad indeed.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        It's time to get into a flying service dedicated to unguided and non-outfitted Alaskan residents......

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by northwoods View Post
          It's time to get into a flying service dedicated to unguided and non-outfitted Alaskan residents......
          Absolutely. Sheep hunters in particular (which I am not). I wonder how many Alaskans realize that this "exclusive area" agreement even exists between many of the flying services and guides here.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            You're talking about a flight operation being sure of making "X" dollars from a contracted guide versus the "possibility" of making "Y" dollars from DIY'ers. If you're running a business, its a no brainer. Either way, its hard to blame either party (pilots or guides) for wanting the best possible deal for themselves.

            I've no idea of what the regs are in the Yukon - get a friend or aquantance who has a plane (private) to fly you; pitch the idea to someone who has/can get the proper licenses to fly you (and others) thus starting a fourth flying business(?).

            Comment


            • #7
              We got the same BS here in British Columbia.
              We also have the Natives blockading the highways trying to keep us resident hunters out...***,and the Government sitting on their hands letting it go on...:mad:.
              Hey Yukoner I read in your local paper that the Natives from Ross river were going to try and keep out resident hunters in their territory,whats the word on that situation.

              Happy hunting folks were ever your from..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gary View Post
                Either way, its hard to blame either party (pilots or guides) for wanting the best possible deal for themselves.
                .
                How is it hard to blame either party for manipulation and greed, unless you value those characteristics in a person?


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
                  OK, this is a situation here in the Yukon, and perhaps not the most appropriate section on the forum, but I need some non-biased input.
                  North of Whitehorse are two small communities, Faro and Mayo. There are 3 Federally licensed air carriers that have apparently signed "contracts" with all the big game outfitters who base out of these communities, and part of these contracts are that the carriers can not fly for anyone else while on contract, which means no residents flying into "their" areas. The outfitters have essentially formed a cartel, and have pretty much now eliminated residents. The carriers would love to fly residents, but the Yukon is small in population, and outfitters bring a lot of business. The outfitters have stated to them in clear terms that if they fly residents into any of "their" lakes (that is any lakes in their concessions) they will not get any business from any of them.
                  What would you guys do? Would Alaskans be ok with this situation.
                  As much as I don't agree with it, it is business.

                  Im assuming the the three carriers are private companies? As are the outfitters? If so the only thing that can happen is for the residents to boycott all year. Have someone arrange for another carrier.

                  As as far as "their" lakes...are they private lands? Or native lands?


                  we deal with this stuff down here as well. Era/ravn has had a monopoly on flights. Finally got a little competition but nothing is consistent. However rural politics keep people from coming out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
                    How is it hard to blame either party for manipulation and greed, unless you value those characteristics in a person?


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    If you see "greed and manipulation" in someone wanting the best experience possible for their clients (the guide) or someone garunteeing an income for himself and his family (the air taxi operator), I suggest that you NEVER enter the customer service sector or become a small business owner.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Seems to me the best way to make it fair, which seems to be the goal of modern government, is for the Feds to charter each hunter who wants a flight!


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        If you see "greed and manipulation" in someone wanting the best experience possible for their clients (the guide) or someone garunteeing an income for himself and his family (the air taxi operator), I suggest that you NEVER enter the customer service sector or become a small business owner.
                        Oh!! It's about pleasing your customer. Well, I guess it's OK then.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
                          There are 3 Federally licensed air carriers that have apparently signed "contracts" with all the big game outfitters who base out of these communities, and part of these contracts are that the carriers can not fly for anyone else while on contract, which means no residents flying into "their" areas. The carriers would love to fly residents....
                          If the carriers "would love to fly residents", why did they sign contracts preventing them from doing so?
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Collusion

                            is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair market advantage. It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts effected by collusion are considered void.


                            This happens a lot more than folks think and it's not always out in the open as this situation is..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              How many potential customers does this leave out? Sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising person.
                              I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                              I have less friends now!!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X