Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

delexterious ? turkeys does a non resident need a hunting license

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • delexterious ? turkeys does a non resident need a hunting license

    so if a non resident came up and saw a turkey could they hunt them or do they need t buy a hunting license

  • #2
    I'll be the first to say call ADF&G on this one.
    I would at least buy a small game license just to be safe.
    I hope this isn't some attempt to get around the law somehow.
    "Honest officer I'm hunting Turkey's"
    I will say AK wild turkeys taste great. I got 5 of them a few years back on the Peninsula.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree with Chris..

      ought to have a small game license as a minimum.

      I hope I get a chance a the flock here by North Pole when I'm hunting, not going to work.

      two hens and now a dozen or so young birds.

      I have never seen a gobbler though..

      still wondering if these birds are pen raised and just "decided" to expand their "yard"

      Chris

      Comment


      • #4
        Unless specifically exempted, one must purchase and be in possession of a hunting license to hunt legally. This includes deleterious wildlife. The difference with these animals is there is generally no closed season and no bag limit but that does not preempt the licensing requirement.

        You should confirm this with ADF&G
        If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, you need to have a hunting license and make sure those turkeys are not on private property, etc. In all likelihood they are owned and raised by someone nearby.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SkookumJoe View Post
            Yes, you need to have a hunting license and make sure those turkeys are not on private property, etc. In all likelihood they are owned and raised by someone nearby.
            Actually that does not seem to matter, as i recall somebody (i think they were a trooper) around Wasilla killed a persons turkey on their property and because the entrance to the property was not posted no hunting and turkeys are not covered by F&G no charges were filed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by akgun&ammo View Post
              I agree with Chris..

              ought to have a small game license as a minimum.

              I hope I get a chance a the flock here by North Pole when I'm hunting, not going to work.

              two hens and now a dozen or so young birds.

              I have never seen a gobbler though..

              still wondering if these birds are pen raised and just "decided" to expand their "yard"

              Chris
              Not sure about AK turkeys, but down south (GA) the wild turkeys and domestic turkeys had different head colors. Occasionally a farmers domestic turkeys would go feral but their head remained more white, and I believe their feathers weren't as colorful.

              Comment


              • #8
                All wild turkeys in AK are raised by someone to begin with then released.
                The ones I got had no white on them whatsoever.
                I shot 2 toms and 3 hens.
                I would NEVER shoot one on private property marked or not if I did not have permission!
                I'm not interested in shooting someone's pet in their own yard even if It's not posted. That isn't ethical to me.
                But if the birds are intentionally released and wind up on property I can legally hunt then its game on.
                "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                  All wild turkeys in AK are raised by someone to begin with then released.
                  The ones I got had no white on them whatsoever.
                  I shot 2 toms and 3 hens.
                  I would NEVER shoot one on private property marked or not if I did not have permission!
                  I'm not interested in shooting someone's pet in their own yard even if It's not posted. That isn't ethical to me.
                  But if the birds are intentionally released and wind up on property I can legally hunt then its game on.
                  Im just excited that there are turkey's here. My favorite hunting is turkey hunting.
                  Now I'm going to go read regs on turkey hunting in AK.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the ones up here look just like the rios I hunted in Texas.

                    including a reddish head and all the brown and golden colored feathers

                    Been seeing them off and on now for about 8 or 9 years.

                    including the occassionally body hit by vehicle on road.



                    Chris

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by akgun&ammo View Post
                      the ones up here look just like the rios I hunted in Texas.

                      including a reddish head and all the brown and golden colored feathers

                      Been seeing them off and on now for about 8 or 9 years.

                      including the occassionally body hit by vehicle on road.



                      Chris
                      Different species then what I am used to. I'm still excited. Nothing like calling in a gobbler in the early morning.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was only successful calling mid-afternoon...

                        just wasn't as good sounding as the hens... :shot:

                        Chris

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                          Im just excited that there are turkey's here. My favorite hunting is turkey hunting.
                          Now I'm going to go read regs on turkey hunting in AK.
                          There are no turkey regs. Turkeys are non-native and therefore fall under the category deleterious wildlife. You are free to kill every one you can find, any time of year.
                          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They are on private property of a friend , who asked if I and a friend coming up from the lower 48 wanted to hunt them. They were released several year ago by others living in the neighborhood. There are around 100 in his area everyday.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Erik in AK View Post
                              There are no turkey regs. Turkeys are non-native and therefore fall under the category deleterious wildlife. You are free to kill every one you can find, any time of year.
                              Nice. We weren't allowed to kill hens down south. I love some wild turkey.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X