Board of Game - Info on Sheep Proposals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board of Game - Info on Sheep Proposals

Noticed a document posted on the BOG website recently. Basically, they are giving fair warning that they will be looking hard at all sheep proposals this year. Looks like they will also be holding some public information sessions prior to the main BOG meeting and will be looking at the Northern region proposals in Feb at the Wasilla meeting.

I can't link directly, but it's the first document on the this page:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

Also, the 2015 proposals for SE, S. Central, and Western AK are out.

Yk

Thanks for taking the time to post that YK.

Seems like it could be a very interesting year for sheep and sheep hunters. A lot of interesting things will be considered it sounds like.

Comment

I agree. Some of those are pretty interesting.
      "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Comment

• Earlier seasons for residents
        • Shorter seasons for nonresidents
        • Drawing permits required for nonresidents
        • Reduce permits for nonresidents
        • Resident only hunts
        • Limit nonresidents hunting with a next-of-kin relative

Think they may be on to something here. Likey
        Last edited by MatSuDano; 08-28-2014, 13:23. Reason: sp
        Spewing inflammatory rhetoric and colorful name calling since 2016
        "Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

Comment

The list is a summary of items that were tabled last BOG session. They likely will take no action on most all of them, but will have to do something.

The best thing to do, is go to the meeting and get informed, then write a brief letter/email or present at the BOG meeting this spring. Get involved!

My take away from the BOG meeting last winter... The BOG believes a draw (for everyone) is the best measure for managing sheep hunters and sheep. If you don't like that idea, better let them know, and back it up with why, what would be better and include some facts.

I'm very interested to see the results of the survey. I honestly don't think anyone really knows what the main "issue" is. Every sheep hunter I talk to says something different, I have a feeling the survey results will show the same. Maybe we all just need to suck it up?

Comment

75% of SE draw tags go to SE resident.Sure hope the fall brown bear goes in effect.
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Starting earlier for residents doesn't make sense to me, it too warm and buggy, hell if anything just delay the start of non-residents like they do for moose and other game. Dido what Bambistew said. Go to the meetings, get informed, talk to others and do some reading and then write in with your 2 cents. I took the survey and can't wait for the results, as I found it not that useful, I could have took it 3 times and answered it 3 different ways, could have been put together better IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                75% of SE draw tags go to SE resident.Sure hope the fall brown bear goes in effect.
                Not really sure what this has to do with sheep proposals? If sheep go on a draw, we all lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bambistew View Post
                  Not really sure what this has to do with sheep proposals? If sheep go on a draw, we all lose.
                  Don't necessary agree. When demand exceeds supply changes must be made. Certainly don't want to see a draw system for residents, fully support one for the non-residents. This state is far, far to accommodative to non-resident hunting IMHO.
                  In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Bambi has it right. The Commercial operators who cater more to Nonresidents are organized and know who to talk to to make changes to protect their interests.

Even when the residents try to form groups to promote resident interests the commercial guys try to come in and twist those organizations. ie Alaska FNAWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bambistew View Post
                      Well like the OP stated it also has other proposals for other parts of the state for even bigger picture.
                      Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

If the state goes to statewide draw only for sheep, then they need to allow for more choices on permit applications, say, you get 6 choices then, versus the 3 only allowed for sheep now. Keep the statewide draw only going just until populations can show some rebound, good lamb production, etc.

If a statewide draw only went into effect, 6 choices for a draw permit on a sheep would give everyone a fair shake at getting a permit.

Comment

Please correct me if wrong. But if everyone (sheep guys) can put in for 3 tags each, they all have the same odds, so that's fair right?

I'm no math expert, but if you double the number of tags we can put in for, but keep permit numbers the same, everyone's probably going to put in for the max, well most of us will. So your odds aren't going to get any better, maybe a little bit, becasue not everyone will put in for 6 tags, but not much better.

Originally posted by jwfishak View Post
                          If the state goes to statewide draw only for sheep, then they need to allow for more choices on permit applications, say, you get 6 choices then, versus the 3 only allowed for sheep now. Keep the statewide draw only going just until populations can show some rebound, good lamb production, etc.

If a statewide draw only went into effect, 6 choices for a draw permit on a sheep would give everyone a fair shake at getting a permit.
                          Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                          Kodiak, AK
                          www.alaska-fish.com
                          https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

It's all bull****. It should all start with limiting non-residents to 10% of the available harvest and putting them on a draw. Then, and only then, if that doesn't work, make it a draw for all. Too many residents are ready to sell their souls to the devil before limiting non resident hunting. Backward ass thinking is slowly ruining hunting for all ALASKANS.

Comment

Originally posted by northway View Post
                              It's all bull****. It should all start with limiting non-residents to 10% of the available harvest and putting them on a draw. Then, and only then, if that doesn't work, make it a draw for all. Too many residents are ready to sell their souls to the devil before limiting non resident hunting. Backward ass thinking is slowly ruining hunting for all ALASKANS.
                              EXACTLY my thoughts...Make guided residents 100% draw and limit their numbers. Before any resident opportunities are limited, the non-residents need to be limited.

Another thought is to limit the number of guides or nail them down to specific areas. Don't let them wipe out an area in a few years and then move on. Things seem to be pretty stable in the areas that the feds manage like this. I think the guides would like not having to compete with each other as well.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X