No announcement yet.

2 Calibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pleasantly surprised at how many positive mentions the 243 is getting in this thread. Last year, when I brought up the idea of caribou in unit 13 with a 243, people thought I was crazy, and I got roasted. Funny how much difference a year makes.

Comment

6.5 Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag in the 600/660 series but re-barrel the 6.5 with a 23" stainless tube. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
        or feathers? You better check on that. I don't thinkit's legal to take waterfowl with anything other than a shotgun.
        You can shoot grouse and ptarmigan with anything.

Comment

For me it has been my 243 for winter predators and 375 Ruger for everything else...

Comment

Lots of good options, thank you all.

Comment

I always have two rifles with me - .22 ruger for small game, and a ruger .300 win mag for large game. The .300 is maybe a bit too powerful for caribou but it works fine for everything else.

If you're in a heavy brown bear unit I would consider using the .375 instead though - supposed to be pretty good for them from what I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
                or feathers? You better check on that. I don't thinkit's legal to take waterfowl with anything other than a shotgun.
                Nah, grouse and ptarmigan are fair game with anything.. Although a head shot is preferred lol

Comment

Vince . . . If I read correctly, you have a 338 and a 25-06? So do I. Yes, everyone that stated .375 and .223 or 30-06 and .243 are perfectly right. Or most of the combos listed. I've done all the research on ballistics and for up here, the .25-06 is light for bear protection, but killing moose or caribou? . . . It'll do. The .338 is really a perfect caliber for AK, but it would damage fur. I had a seasoned hunter once tell me, "you can kill a grizz with nearly anything, but a .300 win mag may knock it down for a second . . . A .338 will knock it down for 4 or 5 seconds, but it'll likely get up . . . And a .375 will give you 5 or 6 seconds to make that solid follow up. ".

What at this boils down to, I think, is does the .25-06 and .338 cover AK game? Yes, totally.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
                    Vince . . . If I read correctly, you have a 338 and a 25-06? So do I. Yes, everyone that stated .375 and .223 or 30-06 and .243 are perfectly right. Or most of the combos listed. I've done all the research on ballistics and for up here, the .25-06 is light for bear protection, but killing moose or caribou? . . . It'll do. The .338 is really a perfect caliber for AK, but it would damage fur. I had a seasoned hunter once tell me, "you can kill a grizz with nearly anything, but a .300 win mag may knock it down for a second . . . A .338 will knock it down for 4 or 5 seconds, but it'll likely get up . . . And a .375 will give you 5 or 6 seconds to make that solid follow up. ".

What at this boils down to, I think, is does the .25-06 and .338 cover AK game? Yes, totally.
                    Norseman,

I figured I had my Alaskan calibers covered but I wanted to see what the general concensus was.

I'll bring the AR, for when I feel like playing Tactical Timmy, the 6.5x284, .338, and the 30-06 for myself. The 25-06 is for the wife.

If it was left handed, like the other bolt guns, I'd pack it myself with no qualms. Being a left handed rifle shooter I refuse to use a right handed bolt gun these days after nearly forty years of nothing but right handed rifles.

I'll sell off the others, .300 Win Mag and .308, pretty quick and somebody will be very happy.

Vince

Comment

For hunting, not much I couldn't get done with one of my 338's and a 22. Not sure I could live without a 308 for plinking/range fun though--just glad I don't have to.
                      Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Comment

Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
                        30.06 and .22lr
                        Ditto. Covers everything.

Comment

Assuming you're talking center-fire cartridges...an .06 & .223 is the most economical pairing to do it all*.
                          Add a .22LR and a 12GA and your Alaskan Practical Long Gun collection is complete.

*While the 30 caliber may be marginal for the very biggest coastal bears it will kill them, and it's by and far the most versatile caliber for all other big game.
                          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Thank you all.
                            In tow I will have the following:
                            22 LR
                            .223 / AR
                            6.5x284
                            30-06
                            .338 Win Mag
                            12 Guage

The rest are being sold. The most used are / will be the .338 and 6.5x284. Then the .22LR and 12 Guage.

Comment

375 h&h

257 wby mag

Comment

.500 A-Square and .375 Weatherby. That'll cover everything. Ptarmigans are dangerous.
                                Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X