2 Calibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Calibers

Given the variety of big game in Alaska, if one were limited to two rifle calibers for all Alaskan hunting, predators on up to and including the big bears, what two rifle calibers would you select for Alaska?
    Thanks in advance.

Vince

.338 win mag and a .243...
    That'll cover the critters from foxes to brownies..
    Ammo for both is readily available and if you reload, they're not too finicky of a round in that regard...
    My .02....

Comment

2 Calibers

.375 h&h and .22lr

That's the two I carry a I may be a bit biased...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

300 Weatherby Win Mag and 243. I just shot a goat with the 300 and wished I had used the 243...
        President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
        http://akwaterfowl.com
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
        AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
        Gen.1:26
        And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Comment

How about a 6.5x284 and .338 Win Mag?
          That's my 2 gun combo. I have to handload for the 6.5x284 but I'd do that anyway.

Comment

For me it would be a toss up between a 30-06 and a 338WM for the top end. With the 30-06 one could reload bullet weights from 100 grain up to 220 with out too much of an issue. With the 338WM one could hand load bullets from about 160 grains up to 275-300. For varmints it would be a 22 mag as that would handle most varmints as long as one watched their shots. If I could sneak a 243 in then that would be my next choice.
            The other question would be 'why only two weapons'?

Comment

Because I'm paring down the selections to the more needed and less esoteric.

Comment

Reading Phil Shoemaker on more than one occasion recommend the 30-06 for brown bear - the Kodiak species, I have been re-thinking my gun lineup too. With the versatility of the new powders and bullets, the '06 is even better than ever. Then I would pair the '06 with a .223 of similar model.
                I know its boring for a gun looney, but if you want it bare bones practical, who can argue?

Comment

.22mag and .375 HH mag.
                  It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Comment

.375 h&h with a .223 for a hand loader would be very versatile as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll second or third or whatever the 30-06. Ammo is plentiful, easy to find even during "the shortage," and it's a LOT cheaper thanthose other big artillery pieces, such as win mags etc etc.

I would avoid a rimfire. Ammo is too expensive for what is. Go with a 22 Hornet and load your own, or use a 243 with those spendy Hornady V max rounds for your small game & varmints. (I'm surprised folks are recommending a 243. They usually blast me when I mention it.)

At any rate, avoid the calibers that are specialized and hard to find, or big and expensive. The 30-06 is the Alaska do-it-all rifle and it does it a lot cheaper than a 375.

You didn't mention a shotgun for upland birds and waterfowl (or a shotgun only draw hunt for moose).

Comment

Agree with 375H&H and 223.

Comment

30.06 and .22lr

Comment

358 Norma Mag (2nd choice 350 Rem mag, 3rd choice 35 Whelen..See a Patern?) & 22-250.
                            Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                            "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Ha ha! These kinds of threads. THR has a lot of them too... people who can't do/buy/choose anything without the input of the crowd... which is always more than ready to throw in their considered opinion. Very entertaining if nothing else, but where are the people who can think for themselves anymore?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X