Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophic fall of my Dall sheep mount:-(

Hey all

I havent been on here much since I left. Mostly lurking in the shadows and ready all of your posts when I can. Missing the adventures of the great state!

So I heard a crash the other day. Went to look and was almost brought to tears! The mount in the wall actually broke.

I wanted to share here as this was the first place I shared the completed mount. Rich did such a good job on it!

These first two are on th mountain and the finished mount.

Any ideas of what if anything can be done with the head portion? Maybe another cool mount design?
    Attached Files

the fatal results of the crash!!

and the aftermath!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Bummer...Maybe a good taxidermist could put it back together for you?

Comment

Wow, that sucks!!!!! A taxidermist can get a new cape and redo the mount. I've re-done whitetail mounts with new capes, not that big of a deal.

Comment

Suck!! Man...so sorry to see that! As others have said, with a new cape it could be redone, but obviously that would come with another financial investment. Such an awesome ram, and regardless of its size, I'm sure it also represents an awesome memory for you.

I have a ram whose horns have been sitting on my floor for years while I work on getting a new cape for it. The cape was destroyed in the tanning process, and I haven't taken a sheep since. If I take one next week in Delta, I'll use that cape for my old ram and do a European display with my new one - unless of course I happen to take a ram like yours, in which case it'll be a shoulder mount instead.

Comment

You would be surprised what a taxidermist can do. First think would be to take it to a taxidermist locally.
            Otherwise, a cool sheep mount/head mount, is a 'backpack' mount - put it together in a diorama of a completed hunt...maybe with a wolverine trying to claim the 'prize' (A mount that has been on my mind to do for a while)...Or, start puttinf the feelers out for another cape. Remounts are common!

Oh, and I honestly cannot believe there is not a wooden stake in that neck/head. The jonas forms all have wooden stake running through to prevent exactly what happened to your mount. (that is not a jonas form, however).

Juli
            Taxidermy IS art!
            www.alaskawildliferugs.com
            Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Jason, holy smokes. that sucks. so sorry brother. it might take a new cape, but its fixable.
              probably fell from lonelines. come back and shoot another.

bob

Comment

OOOOH What a bummer, It can be fixed, The fact that its a full sneak position should make the repair unnoticeable. Protect the broken surfaces so can go back together exactly where it broke. Find an experienced taxidermist.

Comment

appreciate the response Bob. Hope all is well up there with you and family. He wasn't lonely! hahaha

Originally posted by holly View Post
                  Jason, holy smokes. that sucks. so sorry brother. it might take a new cape, but its fixable.
                  probably fell from lonelines. come back and shoot another.

bob
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to see that, I was super nervous about hanging my lynx on the wall, that makes me more worried! Good luck with the repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
                      You would be surprised what a taxidermist can do. First think would be to take it to a taxidermist locally
                      Let Jim Benson take a look in EGF. Go Sioux!

http://sportsmanstaxidermystudio.com
                      Go Big Red!

Comment

2014 Cape on Craigs list: c2jkd-4634341392@sale.craigslist.org

Comment

What a bummer! One time in the middle of the night we heard a loud noise that woke everyone up. One of my sheep fell off the wall but luckily it landed on a large tin of popcorn we had received as a holiday gift. The horns were a direct hit on the tin and popcorn was everywhere but my ram was non the worse for wear. Good luck with the repair.

Comment

Check with your homeowners insurance. You may have coverage under that. It can't hurt anyways.
                            Hope it all works out for the least amount of change from your pocket.
                            Great sheep by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by logman 49 View Post
                              2014 Cape on Craigs list: c2jkd-4634341392@sale.craigslist.org
                              Not to hijack this thread, but is $700 a fair price for a sheep cape? I have no experience in the area and I'm just curious.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X