Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS203 walk in

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DS203 walk in

    I've heard rumors of people being cited and/or losing their sheep for being too far off the highway. One parked by a gravel pit less than a half mile from the road... How far is too far, all it says in the regs is "Richardson Highway," but of course you can't park ON the Richardson highway and leave your car there for a week. Any thoughts?

  • #2
    I can't answer your question but I can tell you the Trooper Dispatch is full of such citations in the last few days...
    "Your papers are not in order"

    Comment


    • #3
      Had a trooper tell me a few years ago that you should be just right off the embankment. If you are looking at that area just north of the landing strip near the road access down to Jarvis, then they want you parking as soon as you pull off the road--he indicated within 30-40 yards of the highway. Play it safe...park as close as you can.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 165grain View Post
        Had a trooper tell me a few years ago that you should be just right off the embankment. If you are looking at that area just north of the landing strip near the road access down to Jarvis, then they want you parking as soon as you pull off the road--he indicated within 30-40 yards of the highway. Play it safe...park as close as you can.
        The one I heard about was the other side, so they still had to drag their stuff/kayak a quarter mile to the river, float it, then another 5 to 10 miles to get to the mountains and sheep. Still seems like quite a "walk-in" hunt to me... Only to lose the sheep when they pack/walk it all the way back and across the river again.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think if I drew 203, I'd be darn sure that I didn't foul up on the regulations. I'd park right in the middle of the road before I'd take my truck into the CUA.
          Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

          Comment


          • #6
            yes, I parked as soon as I could off the highway and didnt have any trouble. But there were roads and trails that led to parking areas further off the highway or to the rivers but I didnt want to chance it cause is sure seemed to me like you would be using a motorized vehicle. I think parking as soon as practical is a safe bet. But if you drive any length off road to access closer parking you obviously are using a motorized access for your hunt.
            I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

            Comment


            • #7
              It's not a rumor at all. The regs say "The Richardson Highway" or "The Alaska Highway" and it's pretty well known by now since the gravel pits gets a citation for someone every year as does the radio tower near the Gerstle.

              If I can't toss a rock onto the centerline, I'm too far. When I did DS203, I parked on the far side of the Rich and crossed it on foot.
              "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm, and the Troopers wonder why alot of people don't like them. With no definition of "Richardson Hwy" given in the regulations, I'd be taking this one in front of a judge and fighting to get my sheep back.

                Although one heck of a hike, a person could access the area from the Alaska Highway along the north side of the unit. The Alaska Hwy is not listed on ADFG's permit hunt information page, so would it then be illegal to park anywhere along the Alaska Hwy and walk into the unit?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AK Wonderer View Post
                  Although one heck of a hike, a person could access the area from the Alaska Highway along the north side of the unit. The Alaska Hwy is not listed on ADFG's permit hunt information page, so would it then be illegal to park anywhere along the Alaska Hwy and walk into the unit?
                  The south edge of the AK Highway is the northern boundary and the highway itself isn't technically in the DCUA. The Rich transects the unit and a portion lies on both sides which is why it is listed. You can walk in from the AK Highway but not drive into the DCUA on any of the roads or trails that head south from it.
                  "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    [QUOTE=hodgeman;1418830] The regs say "The Richardson Highway" or "The Alaska Highway"

                    Sounds like the reg book covers the AK Hwy. The DS203 hunt page on the website doesn't include it and probably needs to be updated.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                      It's not a rumor at all. The regs say "The Richardson Highway" or "The Alaska Highway" and it's pretty well known by now since the gravel pits gets a citation for someone every year as does the radio tower near the Gerstle.

                      If I can't toss a rock onto the centerline, I'm too far. When I did DS203, I parked on the far side of the Rich and crossed it on foot.
                      So, if you park a quarter mile off the road on the east side, then hunted the West side, would that still be unlawful?

                      With the number of citations written, it justs seems that maybe some clarification in the regs would be helpful, like a specific distance (100 yards, 500 yards, 1,000 yards, etc.). Perhaps even posting some signs near these frequent parking spots saying, "attention hunters" as they do in many other hunt areas, i.e. Chena Hot Springs Road and etc. I'm just trying to figure out how this protects the integrity of the hunt. I like the feedback.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wow look at all the citations for this in the trooper dispatch thread. (5) Looks like most we're driving down to the delta river nearly a mile. I remember parking my car about 30 feet from the pavement. Quite a difference.
                        I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just got done doing this hunt, not sure why this is really an issue? If you won this permit hopefully you knew it was a walk in only, and if you are planning on walking in 5-20 miles for your hunt why risk it by not just parking within the Richardson easement and walking across the gravel pit/river bar/access road, that is going to be the easiest part to walk anyways. I parked within 20 feet of the road for my hunt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wasilla View Post
                            I just got done doing this hunt, not sure why this is really an issue? If you won this permit hopefully you knew it was a walk in only, and if you are planning on walking in 5-20 miles for your hunt why risk it by not just parking within the Richardson easement and walking across the gravel pit/river bar/access road, that is going to be the easiest part to walk anyways. I parked within 20 feet of the road for my hunt.
                            Which, according to the regs would still be illegal, no?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Get some video of yourself loading and unloading along the highway, then park your truck off the road somewhere safe. As long as you carry all your stuff in and out from the highway, where you park shouldn't be an issue. As said, most likely the easiest part of your walk so why chance it?

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X