Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking of using a 'backpack' blind for caribou

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • thinking of using a 'backpack' blind for caribou

    I was going through the 'barn' last night looking for an item and found a 'backpack' portable duck blind I had purchased a couple of yrs ago. I thought briefly about the possibility of using it for our upcoming caribou hunt on the north slope. Mostly because I want to take my bow (even though we will be beyond the 5 mile area), and I am fairly certain there is not a lot of foliage to use as cover based on past experience inside the 5 mile corridor...

    Thinking about taking the blind along...It weighs next to nothing (2lb, tops) and I have actually considered decreasing it in size and finding a different color camo to use as blind material....

    Of course, the idea being that you see caribou making their way toward you, so you set up the blind in hopes they will continue on their path...that said, they ARE caribou, and who knows what direction they will choose to go....LOL

    Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever tried to utilize one up there?

    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

  • #2
    It is worth a try. I once saw two guys using a large mirror to walk towards caribou on the north slope.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whether it blends in is going to be the issue. I have a treestand umbrella that when laid down could be used as the same to get behind. Lot more portable and cheap enough you could paint it to look like a rock. Deer never see the camo top anyways. I have seen blinds up there before.

      Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans


      Comment


      • #4
        I think it would depend on the blind blending in to the landscape or standing out calling attention to your location. Do you have pictures of the hunting area you can look at to see how close it will blend into the back ground.

        Comment


        • #5
          MacGyver, you are 110% correct. I have looked and looked for camo blind material that matches the north slope tundra..nothing exists...closest I have come is mossy oak wheat grass..and that is too yellow.

          Which brings me to another topic... when is someone going to invent carhartt brown camo, that is NOT cotton. For clothing, that is!
          Taxidermy IS art!
          www.alaskawildliferugs.com
          Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

          Comment


          • #6
            I always liked the old military "chocolate chip" desert camo for the tundra.

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Army-Camo-Fa...p2054897.l4275
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
            Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

            Comment


            • #7
              Look up the ghostblind. I saw it at frontier outfitters in Fairbanks, once I saw it, I looked into the reviews. I'm debating on buying it before I head up to the slope.
              I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

              Comment


              • #8
                That Ghostblind definitely has my curiosity peaked. I've looked into it and am thinking about giving it a go.

                I've used Carhartts before and I think they've worked the best for camo up here. Keeping dry though, good luck.

                Over the yrs, I've watched 100's of people snooping-n-pooping across the tundra going after 'bou... Anything darker then yellow mustard and you're pretty much busted. Besides a hunter, what's dark in color, low to the ground, and slowly creeping towards caribou? And ya wonder why folks can only get 100yd shots sometimes. Lighter camo is the way to go.. Don't overlook snow camo (with various stick patterns in it), you'd be surprised.
                After work a few days ago, I went for a drive south of Deadhorse. I pulled over and watched from a distance as I'd seen a guy all ghilled up waiting for a 'bou to cross the road. He had it in the bag, regarding camo. His quick movements though spooked it off. Ya still gotta do the other things right too, it's not just about camo.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you're 5 miles out you will probably find that the bouare a little dumber. I got within 10 ft of one up there stood up and shot itwhile it stood there and stared at me (it was a small bull in a group of 20small bulls and cows).

                  If you don't mind carrying it bring it, what’s the worse that could happen.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                    That Ghostblind definitely has my curiosity peaked. I've looked into it and am thinking about giving it a go.

                    I've used Carhartts before and I think they've worked the best for camo up here. Keeping dry though, good luck.

                    Over the yrs, I've watched 100's of people snooping-n-pooping across the tundra going after 'bou... Anything darker then yellow mustard and you're pretty much busted. Besides a hunter, what's dark in color, low to the ground, and slowly creeping towards caribou? And ya wonder why folks can only get 100yd shots sometimes. Lighter camo is the way to go.. Don't overlook snow camo (with various stick patterns in it), you'd be surprised.
                    After work a few days ago, I went for a drive south of Deadhorse. I pulled over and watched from a distance as I'd seen a guy all ghilled up waiting for a 'bou to cross the road. He had it in the bag, regarding camo. His quick movements though spooked it off. Ya still gotta do the other things right too, it's not just about camo.
                    haha..anything to have a video camera, eh I was up there a couple yrs ago and there is no way the darker camo works. Anything slinking along the ground is a predator to a bou...or standing upright on two legs, for that matter...I have long wished for 'tundra camo'! (in women's to boot, hahaha )

                    Originally posted by AKducks View Post
                    If you're 5 miles out you will probably find that the bouare a little dumber. I got within 10 ft of one up there stood up and shot itwhile it stood there and stared at me (it was a small bull in a group of 20small bulls and cows).

                    If you don't mind carrying it bring it, what’s the worse that could happen.
                    We will be floating the Ivishak...I wouldn't want to pack even a two lb blind around out on the tundra more than 2-3 miles w/out first knowing it was going to be effective.

                    The ghostblinds are interesting indeed...and if anyone decides to give one a try, I'd certainly like to know the outcome!

                    thanks all for your input. That is what makes these forums great!

                    Juli
                    Taxidermy IS art!
                    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JuliW View Post

                      Which brings me to another topic... when is someone going to invent carhartt brown camo, that is NOT cotton. For clothing, that is!


                      First Lite Merino Wool in Dry Earth...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        kryptec highlander, i think is the name. i have a video where I was stalking a bou, dipped down when he turned and poof gone! agree with the lighter colors, seems everyone thinks head to toe mossy oak is the go to, but you can see them from 2 miles away because its so dark.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks so much to everyone who gave suggestions! Some of the clothing available really is close to the tundra color!

                          I received the replacement blind material for the blind... I think it will work great! I think I may just make an oversuit out of it. LOL (probably not, but it is pretty close in color, to the tundra)

                          Taxidermy IS art!
                          www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                          Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Are you saying unit 26 is full of Dumb Bou? That is harsh man!

                            Walt
                            Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
                            Unit 23 Float and Drop Hunts
                            907-259-4290

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              German Summer Flec army cammo is THE BEST Summer Tundra cammo, ever.

                              Their desert Flec is the BEST Fall/Spring cammo, for Tundra, ever. Works and feels comfy, made like a German tank, its great outdoors clothes and cammo.

                              You just dissapear. Its better to wear the cammo than carry it and put it up.

                              Like its mentioned above, old turned light brown Carhearts are some of the best Spring/Fall cammo in AK.
                              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

                              "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X